News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Congressional Insider Trading

Started by Jacob, November 14, 2011, 01:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Congressional insiders used information about the impending financial crisis to profit on the stockmarket: http://www.businessinsider.com/spencer-bachus-congress-insider-trading-60-minutes-2011-11

What says languish? Will there be repercussions?

DGuller

crazy canuck

What are the restrictions on elected officials making their own trades in the US?  I dont think it is even allowed here.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2011, 01:21:25 PM
Congressional insiders used information about the impending financial crisis to profit on the stockmarket: http://www.businessinsider.com/spencer-bachus-congress-insider-trading-60-minutes-2011-11

What says languish? Will there be repercussions?
There sure as hell should be.  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 01:25:29 PM
What are the restrictions on elected officials making their own trades in the US?  I dont think it is even allowed here.
wasn't there something like this with Ralph Goodale and a leaked budget?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

It wasnt Goodale himself.  A civil servant breached the rules.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/personalfinance/incometrust-probe-faqs.html

QuoteThe IMET team spent many months sifting through a huge paper trail, using sophisticated software programs that flag unusual trading patterns. The team looked at thousands of trades in dozens of income trusts and dividend-paying stocks and talked to many officials inside and outside of government and the investment industry.

On Feb. 15, 2007, the RCMP and the IMET team charged a top Finance Department bureaucrat, Serge Nadeau, with criminal breach of trust. The Mounties alleged that he "used confidential Government of Canada information for the purchase of securities which gave him a personal benefit." Nadeau faces up to five years in prison if convicted. The RCMP said their 14-month-long investigation is now concluded

In 2010 Nadeau pled guilty, recieved a fine and community service and apparently is now teaching at the University of Ottawa.  His defence was that his unlawful use in information had nothing to do with the wider leak and apparently that defence won the day in terms of a light sentence being negotiated with the Crown.

http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=a9423bad-99ab-46ad-abe2-35dcf3706241

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 01:25:29 PM

Cabinet members have to put their assets in a blind trust I think.  No restrictions on members of Congress.

MadImmortalMan

Doesn't even scratch the surface. Look at the trades of their spouses too and we'll really start getting dirty.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

So when they send picture of their schlong on twitter they lose their jobs but fucking up voters is A-Ok?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

To paraphrase: sex is bad, greed is good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I thought everyone knew about this.  Congress members, Senators, and staffers should really be required to put stocks in a blind trust.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

What's far more interesting than the fact that members of Congress can use inside information for trading, in my opinion, is that a Congressman would take information regarding the impending crash and use it to profit rather than bring that information to the attention of the House Financial Services Committee to see if anything could be done to mitigate it.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on November 14, 2011, 02:49:11 PM
What's far more interesting than the fact that members of Congress can use inside information for trading, in my opinion, is that a Congressman would take information regarding the impending crash and use it to profit rather than bring that information to the attention of the House Financial Services Committee to see if anything could be done to mitigate it.

What!  You want him to lose on his short position!

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 02:54:25 PM
What!  You want him to lose on his short position!

;)

It strikes me a lot of the time that Congressmen seem to forget why they're in Congress in the first place.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Anyone else try Yakie's link?  Anyone else have problems with it?  It opened about 7 tabs on my browser and froze me up.