Video card recommendation

Started by Darth Wagtaros, November 14, 2011, 08:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

The cheap temporary card I have isn't cutting the mustard.  Need a PCI Express 2.0 card, able to support dual monitors, directx 11, and not be ruinously expensive.
PDH!

viper37

Gaming or no gaming?

No gaming, dual monitor, but with HDMI and DVI:
XFX Radeon HD 6450, around 70$, fanless card, so totally silent.

Gaming:
Radeon HD 6870, below 200$.
Radeon HD 6950, below 250$.
Dual monitor with DVI and HDMI (one of each).

Nvidia GTX 560 ti, a little above 200$
it sure can do dual monitor, but I've no idea if it's 2 DVI.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

These still apply? How is a GTX 550 ti different from 560? Basically I'm looking for something for under €200 that can run modern games (Skyrim and the like, I don't play FPS) with reasonably high settings.

Scipio

Quote from: Solmyr on December 25, 2011, 03:24:08 PM
These still apply? How is a GTX 550 ti different from 560? Basically I'm looking for something for under €200 that can run modern games (Skyrim and the like, I don't play FPS) with reasonably high settings.
I've got a 550 Ti from EVGA, and I like it.  It ain't perfect, but it can handle midrange DX11 effects straight out of the box on Batman: Arkham City, which is very poorly optimized.  It cruises on everything else, but I don't have Skyrim.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on December 25, 2011, 03:24:08 PM

GTX 550ti is about 25% slower than 560.  560ti is maybe 10% (at most) faster than 560.

My recommendations still stand if you want to change right now.  I believe both Nvidia and ATI will announce newer products around March, though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Arvoreen

The new ATI 6970 in my new computer is sweet....Skyrim runs @ 1920x1080 with ultra high settings and lots of FPS :)