Positive
9 (27.3%)
Negative
8 (24.2%)
Neutral
5 (15.2%)
You stupid Amerikkans and your stoopid sports no one cares about
9 (27.3%)
Will Jaron have to wear magic underpants?
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2011, 11:35:14 PM
It may have been invented by a Canadian, but basketball does nothing for me. :mellow:

Really?  Why is running up and down a court and throwing a ball in a net so much less compelling than skating up and down a rink hitting a puck in a net?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Basketball is nice to play and completely boring to watch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Yeah, agree with Brain. The last few minutes of a close game can be exciting, but other than that they might as well be playing an exhibition game.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 18, 2011, 09:50:35 AM
Basketball is nice to play and completely boring to watch.
Agreed. A lot like footie in that regard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 09:49:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2011, 11:35:14 PM
It may have been invented by a Canadian, but basketball does nothing for me. :mellow:

Really?  Why is running up and down a court and throwing a ball in a net so much less compelling than skating up and down a rink hitting a puck in a net?

No hitting for one.

And while I like a nice high-scoring hockey game, the scoring in basketball is so out of control it loses any excitement.  You hardly stand up and cheer when a basket is scored every minute or two.

My own perception only.  Hardly saying that people are stupid for watching basketball.  Different strokes for different folks and all that.

It's also pretty obvious that I'm a home-town boy when it comes to team sports.  And theres no pro basketball team in Winnipeg (actually there was a short-lived minor league team in the 90s that did pretty well, but the league collapsed around them).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 09:49:13 AMReally?  Why is running up and down a court and throwing a ball in a net so much less compelling than skating up and down a rink hitting a puck in a net?

The real answer?

Because the way you're socialized. If the sport is:

- Local to you, so everyone around you cares about it
- One you watched while growing up
- One you played while growing up
- One in which you can field a good national team
- One which has broad cultural resonance in the culture you're part of
- One which you've been exposed to enough that you have an intuitive grasp of the tactics and skill involved

Then you're more likely to find it compelling compared to a sport for which none of that is true.

Yeah, different sports are different to play and watch due to the rules, but I think the most important facets are ones they all have in common: identification with your team as a social experience, appreciation of the nuances of skill and tactics, and bitching about the refereeing/ bad luck to people who appreciate the same sport.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2011, 12:34:58 PM
The real answer?

Because the way you're socialized.

True.  I guess I am just a sports junkie though I literally like every sport.  If I moved to Ireland I would be enthusiastically following all their weird Gaellic sports.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 12:36:39 PMTrue.  I guess I am just a sports junkie though I literally like every sport.  If I moved to Ireland I would be enthusiastically following all their weird Gaellic sports.

Hurling and Gaelic rules football are both pretty cool.

PDH

A lot of students around here take up hurling every friday night.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

dps

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2011, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 09:49:13 AMReally?  Why is running up and down a court and throwing a ball in a net so much less compelling than skating up and down a rink hitting a puck in a net?

The real answer?

Because the way you're socialized. If the sport is:

- Local to you, so everyone around you cares about it
- One you watched while growing up
- One you played while growing up
- One in which you can field a good national team
- One which has broad cultural resonance in the culture you're part of
- One which you've been exposed to enough that you have an intuitive grasp of the tactics and skill involved

Then you're more likely to find it compelling compared to a sport for which none of that is true.

Yeah, different sports are different to play and watch due to the rules, but I think the most important facets are ones they all have in common: identification with your team as a social experience, appreciation of the nuances of skill and tactics, and bitching about the refereeing/ bad luck to people who appreciate the same sport.

While there's no doubt a lot of truth in what you say, that's not all that there is to it.  High school basketball is big in WV (possibly bigger than h.s. football), and I enjoy playing basketball, but I don't much care for it as a spectator sport.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 07:22:47 PM
While there's no doubt a lot of truth in what you say, that's not all that there is to it.  High school basketball is big in WV (possibly bigger than h.s. football), and I enjoy playing basketball, but I don't much care for it as a spectator sport.

There is a lot to this.  For example BB has never lived anywhere where he could watch good basketball - hence his belief a basket is only scored every "minute or two".  Good basketball is also hard to find in Canada since we dont get much NCAA coverage up here.  As I argued in the other thread NBA basketball is not as good as NCAA so I can understand how people who dont watch much and only see the occasional NBA game could come to that conclusion basketball is not very fun to watch.

However, if one was to watch a great college game - say Duke playing NC - it would be pretty tough to say that was boring.  One fly in the ointment for Jacob's theory is I find Hockey very boring.  The only time I watch is in the playoffs and even then only a few games.