News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Congressional Insider Trading

Started by Jacob, November 14, 2011, 01:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

No problems here.

Have you done a Malware scan lately Yi?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 04:29:30 PM
No problems here.

No.  How does one do that?

DGuller

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 03:59:11 PM
Anyone else try Yakie's link?  Anyone else have problems with it?  It opened about 7 tabs on my browser and froze me up.
Worked fine for me.

I agree with the title of the book.  Throw them all out.  Surely there should be prosecutions from this?
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 04:36:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 04:29:30 PM
No problems here.

No.  How does one do that?

I feel like I am getting the Yi treatment again but I have no idea why that might be.

alfred russel

Quote from: fahdiz on November 14, 2011, 02:59:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 02:54:25 PM
What!  You want him to lose on his short position!

;)

It strikes me a lot of the time that Congressmen seem to forget why they're in Congress in the first place.

I thought this was why they wanted to go to Congress.  :huh:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

fhdz

Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2011, 05:09:13 PM
I thought this was why they wanted to go to Congress.  :huh:

:D Yes, it seems that moving against the constituents you represent is becoming quite the cottage industry in Congress.
and the horse you rode in on

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 14, 2011, 04:47:34 PM
I agree with the title of the book.  Throw them all out.  Surely there should be prosecutions from this?

I'm not sure that any laws were actually broken, so I'm not sure what you'd prosecute them for.  This appears to be legal, though very sleazy.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on November 14, 2011, 11:20:51 PM

I'm not sure that any laws were actually broken, so I'm not sure what you'd prosecute them for.  This appears to be legal, though very sleazy.

I don't think there's any laws being broken, or if there is it may be hard to prove.  I saw the 60 minutes episode about this.  What I found interesting former congressmen and and former staffers are sometimes hired gather information that would make money on the stock market.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: fahdiz on November 14, 2011, 02:49:11 PM
What's far more interesting than the fact that members of Congress can use inside information for trading, in my opinion, is that a Congressman would take information regarding the impending crash and use it to profit rather than bring that information to the attention of the House Financial Services Committee to see if anything could be done to mitigate it.
Nothing could have been done to mitigate it, because nobody was interested in mitigating it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

I'm not sure that any laws were actually broken

Indeed. It is however a serious breach of trust.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 15, 2011, 02:00:10 AM

I'm not sure that any laws were actually broken

Indeed. It is however a serious breach of trust.

It does seem a tad unfair, doesn't it.  I mean, insider trading is suppose to be illegal.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on November 14, 2011, 11:20:51 PMI'm not sure that any laws were actually broken, so I'm not sure what you'd prosecute them for.  This appears to be legal, though very sleazy.
Surely it would be illegal if a civil servant at the regulator or the Fed used their knowledge like this?
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 02:31:28 AM
It does seem a tad unfair, doesn't it.  I mean, insider trading is suppose to be illegal.

Well, what I was alluding to earlier is not just that it's unfair - it is - but also that people are elected to Congress to act in the interest of and on behalf of their constituents in particular and the American people in general. So blatantly using information related to market collapse - which obviously affects Bachus' constituents - in order to profit smacks of adding considerable insult to the injury of unfairness.