And we're back!

Main Menu

American Voter Registration

Started by Viking, November 08, 2011, 06:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2011, 09:35:35 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 10, 2011, 03:22:00 AM
Just consolidate the populationregistries and domicile-registries and be done with it. when election comes every citizen is registered automatically. send them a nice card. If they then vote or not it's their problem. But no more hassle with wether or not there's illegal registration going on. and the advantage is that no new info is made knowledgeable to the state either. top it off with firing excess bureaucrats after database consolidation.

The government doesn't keep a registry of where every citizen lives...:huh:

then how on earth does it know where to send the taxforms?
A state that doesn't know where its citizenry has it's official residence seems odd

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 10, 2011, 12:57:12 PM
A state that doesn't know where its citizenry has it's official residence seems odd

It sends the form to the address you wrote on last year's form.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2011, 12:59:10 PM

Bizarre. Over ehre, when you move, you have to register the new adress at cityhall after which the local policeofficer comes around to check. After which you return to cityhall and have your ID-card updated. Easy as pie, and it keeps the populationrecords quite up to date. No need for census every decade.

garbon

In addition to what Yi said - you can acquire your own tax forms / fill out your taxes online.  I think California had decided for the 2010 to no longer send tax forms unless asked to cut down on expenditure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 10, 2011, 01:03:03 PM

Bizarre. Over ehre, when you move, you have to register the new adress at cityhall after which the local policeofficer comes around to check. After which you return to cityhall and have your ID-card updated. Easy as pie, and it keeps the populationrecords quite up to date. No need for census every decade.

We don't want a registry.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

It blew my mind while travelling in Europe to learn that at least in some countries you're supposed to register overnight guests with the police too.

dps

And lots of times, you don't even get that.  You just pick up your tax forms at a local library.

And anymore, the IRS and most state tax departments are discouraging you from using paper forms at all and trying to get you to file online--in which case obviously they don't have to send you a form anywhere.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2011, 01:15:27 PM

How do you crazy Americans keep track of your Jews???????
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 10, 2011, 01:03:03 PM

:huh: You live in the DDR?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

In Sweden you may send in updated info to the authorities when you move. It's not like anyone checks up on you. For several years I lived in a different province but kept being registered in Stockholm since Stockholm tax is lower.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 10, 2011, 02:49:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2011, 01:15:27 PM

We just watch for anyone eating Gentile babies.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 10, 2011, 02:49:22 PM

PE and the size of the tip.

Monoriu

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 10, 2011, 03:22:00 AM
Just consolidate the populationregistries and domicile-registries and be done with it. when election comes every citizen is registered automatically. send them a nice card. If they then vote or not it's their problem. But no more hassle with wether or not there's illegal registration going on. and the advantage is that no new info is made knowledgeable to the state either. top it off with firing excess bureaucrats after database consolidation.

Your lack of faith in inter-departmental rivalry disturbs me  :menace: