American Voter Registration

Started by Viking, November 08, 2011, 06:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2011, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2011, 09:47:13 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2011, 09:41:55 AM
What if you move to a different place?

The rather than registering to vote in the new area, they just report a change of residence.
:huh:  But this is "voters registering themselves," which you oppose.  The change of residence form is the change in voter registration, as well.  In fact, changing voter registration is the only reason to change one's residence, insofar as I know.

Here they use information like that to figure out how to set budgets for hospitals, schools, location of booze monopolies, roads and other infrastructure projects.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

BTW, thank you, Viking, for reminding me that I need to re-register so as to change my address. Printed out the form, filled it out and as business reply mail - I can pop it in a mailbox when I take lunch today for free.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2011, 11:43:14 AM
BTW, thank you, Viking, for reminding me that I need to re-register so as to change my address. Printed out the form, filled it out and as business reply mail - I can pop it in a mailbox when I take lunch today for free.

Remember to vote the straight ticket Pelosi-Boxer-Obama

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2011, 11:53:06 AM

Not sure how as a Republican in Manhattan that I'll manage that - but I guess I can try.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2011, 11:54:13 AM

Not sure how as a Republican in Manhattan that I'll manage that - but I guess I can try.

You can vote Obama at least.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Only people who want to vote should get to vote.  If you are eligible to vote, but you are too lazy to register, fuck off.  We don't need your fucking vote.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on November 08, 2011, 02:14:39 PM
Only people who want to vote should get to vote.  If you are eligible to vote, but you are too lazy to register, fuck off.  We don't need your fucking vote.

I don't see how those first two statements are related.  You could want to vote but be too lazy to register. :huh:

Eddie Teach

If you're too lazy to register you're probably also too lazy to vote.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2011, 02:21:30 PM
If you're too lazy to register you're probably also too lazy to vote.

Maybe or maybe you just aren't good at planning ahead.

Viking

oh, I thought you were in california .. oh well..

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2011, 03:14:16 PM

oh, I thought you were in california .. oh well..

Like I could ever be convinced to vote for Pelosi. :angry:

dps

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2011, 11:13:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2011, 11:07:11 AM
I don't think there is anymore ACORN or Jim Crow, and I don't think think gerrymandering is done through registration.  In Missouri you don't register a political party when you register to vote.

No, you gerrymander by preventing socioeconomic groups from registering you can fix elections.

I don't think you know what gerrymandering means.  Because, well, that's not what it means.

alfred russel

It may be worth pointing out that elections are basically state and local, with federal elections piggybacking those. For example, there is no federal right to vote for president, it is just that each of the 50 states decided that letting people vote is a good idea. Within constitutional limits, states have discretion on who can vote and what evidence voters need to provide to establish they are eligibile. So a federal system of registration isn't so feasible.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: dps on November 08, 2011, 11:02:32 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2011, 11:13:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2011, 11:07:11 AM
I don't think there is anymore ACORN or Jim Crow, and I don't think think gerrymandering is done through registration.  In Missouri you don't register a political party when you register to vote.

No, you gerrymander by preventing socioeconomic groups from registering you can fix elections.

I don't think you know what gerrymandering means.  Because, well, that's not what it means.

It is effectively gerrymandering since a certain population is rendered without an ability to affect the election, being moved into an "unrepresented constituency".

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2011, 11:08:03 AM
It may be worth pointing out that elections are basically state and local, with federal elections piggybacking those. For example, there is no federal right to vote for president, it is just that each of the 50 states decided that letting people vote is a good idea. Within constitutional limits, states have discretion on who can vote and what evidence voters need to provide to establish they are eligibile. So a federal system of registration isn't so feasible.

Again. I am not suggesting a federal list. I'm suggesting that any interaction with the government at any level will get you registered. Apply to your local council for a building permit for a new garage? Get registered to vote. Apply for a job at the FBI? Get registered to vote.