News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Italian Cold Fusion - Scam or Breakthrough?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 07, 2011, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Interesting.  :hmm:

Shitload of further links can be found here
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-11/06/cold-fusion-heating-up

QuoteWhat to make of Andrea Rossi's apparent cold fusion success
By David Hambling
06 November 11

The apparent success of Andrea Rossi's E-Cat cold fusion demonstration on  28 October is starting to send ripples into the mainstream press. So what new clues do we have to settle whether it's the  breakthrough of the century or the scam of the decade?

In the demonstration, overseen by engineers and technicians from Rossi's mysterious US customer, the device appeared to produce over 470 kilowatts of heat for several hours. The customer was evidently satisfied and paid for the device, though other scientists and journalists attending were not given close access to the test equipment.

Following his first sale, Rossi now says he has orders for thirteen more megawatt-class E-Cat power plants. He's offering them to anyone at $2,000 (£1,250) a kilowatt, which works out at $2 million (£1.25 million) per unit, and says he has customers in the US and Europe. Rossi says a domestic version rated at a few kilowatts is at least a year away. He is also working on adapting the E-Cat so its heat output can converted to electricity, but this will require higher working temperatures and will take two years or more.

This is not quite what you'd expect from a fraudster.

Firstly, the demonstration should have been much more convincing. The shipping container housing the E-Cat setup should have been hoisted from a crane and visibly disconnected from any external power supply. As with all conjuring tricks, the audience should have been allowed to inspect the apparatus. And why only claim 470 kilowatts when you're supposed to be producing twice that amount? If the whole thing was set-up, and the mystery customer a fake, it was not well calculated to convince anyone else.

Secondly, this is normally the point at which a con artist starts issuing shares, asking for capital, or taking "deposits" from gullible consumers. Anything to grab some cash from those willing to offer it. Instead, Rossi is apparently only taking orders from large customers who will be checking the devices work before they take delivery. These are people with good lawyers to write contracts and deal with any complications. They are not easy targets. Whatever he's doing, he's going for the longer game.

Meanwhile, the media coverage has been shifting away from the possibility of fraud, and some mainstream commentators are toying with the idea that this might just be the big breakthrough that Rossi claims.

Fox News was  first out, though they took a few days to catch on, publishing a piece on 2 November which focused on the identity of the anonymous customer. Following a hint from Rossi, Fox decided the customer is real and is the US Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR).

It's a reasonable enough guess. The US Navy is one of the few institutions where cold fusion research still continues openly, but the evidence is scant. Although a Paul Swanson from SPAWAR was present as an observer at one test, this may simply be evidence of continuing interest in the field, and the organisation will not make any comment.

Then on 3 November  MSNBC ran a cautiously optimistic piece under the headline "Italian cold fusion machine passes another test", noting that although there is widespread scepticism about cold fusion, "proof is adding up" that the technology works.

More curious is the lack of a story from Associated Press. AP science reporter Peter Svensson flew from New York to attend the demonstration, and live coverage of the event was curtailed to give AP the exclusive. But Svensson has so far not written a word about it. Some online commentators  suggested that he had been silenced by "Chinese-style information censorship." When challenged, AP apparently initially tried to deny Svensson was there, though photographs suggest otherwise.

This led to a campaign encouraging people to contact Svensson about the story via his Twitter feed. At first he simply replied with variations of "Sorry, there's nothing I can tell you at this point", but later changed to "All I can say is 'stay tuned'".

Our guess is that AP does not want to publish anything until it can verify the reality and perhaps the identity of the customer. This in itself suggests a degree of optimism: it's gambling that there will be a big story at the end, and it has accepted being scooped by Fox and MSNBC on the smaller story of the demonstration in order to get it.

Meanwhile, we're left waiting until Rossi delivers the next E-Cat, which will be going to a different customer, in a few months. Hopefully they will be less secretive. In fact, if interest keeps growing, they could put the machine on show and use the steam output to make froth on cups of cappuccino for paying spectators and get a quick return on their £1.25 million investment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

My guess is it's the breakthrough.  So many of these turned out to be scams that by law of large numbers, we're due for the real thing.

The Brain

The Minsky Moment

It does work, but it can only supply power to black market businesses.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2011, 01:01:08 PM
It does work, but it can only supply power to black market businesses.

Or in Italy, which is functionally the same.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

The Wikipedia entry

QuoteIn 1973, Rossi graduated cum laude in Philosophy of Science and Engineering at the University of Milan with a thesis on Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity and its interrelationship with Edmund Husserl's Phenomenology.

Sounds like a real hard science kind of guy.

QuoteIn the early 1990s the company was disbanded following accusations of dumping environmental toxins, as well as tax fraud. Its assets were seized, together with Rossi's personal assets, and Andrea Rossi was arrested and imprisoned.

Tax fraud's not like real fraud, plus he was later acquitted.

The Energy Catalyzer:

QuoteOn October 28, 2011, a 1 MW plant based on the Energy Catalyzer was reported to have been tested and considered satisfactory by an undisclosed customer. According to the controller, Domenico Fioravanti, who was sent by this customer, the plant released 2,635 kWh during five and a half hours of self sustained mode, which is equivalent to an average power of 479 kilowatts – just under half the promised power of one megawatt. The customer allegedly acquired the plant after the test. Independent observers were not allowed to watch the measurements or make their own, and the plant remained connected to a power supply during the test allegedly to supply power to the fans and the water pumps.

I do like all these mysterious "undisclosed customers". 

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Assuming it is real- why then would he be making and selling these little experimental plants to secretive customers rather than going doing in physics history for such a mammoth breakthrough and getting actual proper investment to develop it to commercial levels?

Could be he's some sort of nut and likes this way of money in his pocket for research better but.....yeah. Colour me skeptical...

Anyway, this is the first I've heard of this, it has been making waves in the mainstream press it says?
██████
██████
██████

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Drakken

I'm highly skeptical.

Cold fusion has always been impossible difficult to reproduce by experimentation by outside sources, and in the scientific community it is widely classified alongside perpetual motion machines : if someone claims to have made one, it must be a scam because it violates basic laws of thermodynamics.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on November 07, 2011, 08:49:43 PM
Assuming it is real- why then would he be making and selling these little experimental plants to secretive customers rather than going doing in physics history for such a mammoth breakthrough and getting actual proper investment to develop it to commercial levels?

Could be he's some sort of nut and likes this way of money in his pocket for research better but.....yeah. Colour me skeptical...

Anyway, this is the first I've heard of this, it has been making waves in the mainstream press it says?

IF he is not a scammer then he may well have pondered the fact that going down in physics history doesn't bring in the money. Revealing the secret would be pretty damn stupid.

Edit: Oh, and E-Cat has been the big talk thingy in science/tech this year.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on November 08, 2011, 10:43:16 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 07, 2011, 08:49:43 PM

IF he is not a scammer then he may well have pondered the fact that going down in physics history doesn't bring in the money. Revealing the secret would be pretty damn stupid.

I thought that but...surely patents and stuff should mean there is quite a lot of money in such an amazingly useful and potentially in demand invention?
██████
██████
██████