News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Personhood Initiative

Started by merithyn, November 07, 2011, 07:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Scipio on November 07, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
Your understanding is wrong.  It's on the ballot tomorrow because the legislature refused to bring it out of committee in either house.
Only slightly wrong. It isn't a fringe group if it's made it onto the ballot and it's been bandied about in legislature. :contract:

In my campaigning for justice court judge, people have only been interested in one thing: what do I think about prop 26 (the personhood initiative)?  As an ethical, responsible libertarian pro-life Orthodox Christian attorney, it is wholly (morally, legally, fiscally, ecumenically, etc.) irresponsible to pass this amendment to our state's constitution.

It's an unconstitutional restriction on the privacy rights of persons engaged in the use of birth control, IVF, and abortion; it's an undue burden on abortion, under the current standard post-Casey; and finally, it's legally unenforceable.  You're creating a legal standard of personhood wherein a person is not detectable by science except through highly invasive diagnostic procedures for a period of up to six or eight weeks.  A lot of shit can happen to a fetus during that time, when the woman may not even know she is pregnant.

I look forward to my taxpayer suit I've got ready to go to free all incarcerated pregnant women from jail in MS, because the state can't afford 14th Amendment mandated prenatal care.  Additionally, any pregnant illegal has an anchor fetus.

This is gonna be awesome.  Nay, it'll be OSSUM.

Very pleased to hear this. Question regarding your campaign: how is your response being taken by the constituents? Are they pleased to hear your stance or no?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Anyone with a lot of money can get something on the ballot in Missouri.  You just have to hire a bunch of people to take signatures.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2011, 02:10:52 PM
Quote from: Scipio on November 07, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
Your understanding is wrong.  It's on the ballot tomorrow because the legislature refused to bring it out of committee in either house.
Only slightly wrong. It isn't a fringe group if it's made it onto the ballot and it's been bandied about in legislature. :contract:

In my campaigning for justice court judge, people have only been interested in one thing: what do I think about prop 26 (the personhood initiative)?  As an ethical, responsible libertarian pro-life Orthodox Christian attorney, it is wholly (morally, legally, fiscally, ecumenically, etc.) irresponsible to pass this amendment to our state's constitution.

It's an unconstitutional restriction on the privacy rights of persons engaged in the use of birth control, IVF, and abortion; it's an undue burden on abortion, under the current standard post-Casey; and finally, it's legally unenforceable.  You're creating a legal standard of personhood wherein a person is not detectable by science except through highly invasive diagnostic procedures for a period of up to six or eight weeks.  A lot of shit can happen to a fetus during that time, when the woman may not even know she is pregnant.

I look forward to my taxpayer suit I've got ready to go to free all incarcerated pregnant women from jail in MS, because the state can't afford 14th Amendment mandated prenatal care.  Additionally, any pregnant illegal has an anchor fetus.

This is gonna be awesome.  Nay, it'll be OSSUM.

Very pleased to hear this. Question regarding your campaign: how is your response being taken by the constituents? Are they pleased to hear your stance or no?
Everyone who's asked me about it has been against the initiative.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2011, 01:01:29 PM
An anchor fetus would be awesome. Something out of a horror story.

Oh, whoops, I fell down the stairs again... and oh.. drat.. I aborted this time. Then there was the chick that drank draino.. recreationally and surprise surprise, she aborted.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/08/personhoods_mississippi_moment_of_truth/

In other news, our local talk radio supernetwork, which is rabidly GOP, has a facebook poll on Prop 26, where 5500 of their 8200 fans have voted on it; it's about 60/40 against.

And their loudest and biggest host is bloviating on Prop 26 in a horrendously stupid way.  Sigh.

Voter turnout is fucking huge, though.  Right now, based on non-partisan polling conducted by the social scientists at USM, I am essentially neck and neck with the GOP guy.

But polls are unreliable at best.  I hope my public position against Prop 26 is helpful to me.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

Incidentally, is "abortion tourism" popular in the US states that restrict abortion? In Poland (which has one of the stricter abortion laws in Europe), anyone with enough cash simply travels over to Germany or Czech Republic and gets the procedure. I wonder if this is also the case in the US (assuming you actually have strict abortion laws there, and all of this is not just a constant failed attempt by the religious reich to overturn Roe vs. Wade)?

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on November 08, 2011, 01:00:16 PM
Incidentally, is "abortion tourism" popular in the US states that restrict abortion? In Poland (which has one of the stricter abortion laws in Europe), anyone with enough cash simply travels over to Germany or Czech Republic and gets the procedure. I wonder if this is also the case in the US (assuming you actually have strict abortion laws there, and all of this is not just a constant failed attempt by the religious reich to overturn Roe vs. Wade)?

I know of a few girls who drove from Iowa to Nebraska years ago for an abortion. Not because the laws were all that different, but to avoid any chance their parents would find out. Plus, it was a little cheaper. I would guess that, depending on where a person lives, this isn't unusual. Especially now that some states require under-aged girls to have parental consent to get an abortion.

merithyn

Quote from: Scipio on November 08, 2011, 12:38:05 PM
Voter turnout is fucking huge, though.  Right now, based on non-partisan polling conducted by the social scientists at USM, I am essentially neck and neck with the GOP guy.

But polls are unreliable at best.  I hope my public position against Prop 26 is helpful to me.

Good luck, Scip. I truly hope you make it this time. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 08, 2011, 01:00:16 PM

It's not prohibited in any US state.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2011, 03:50:07 PMIt's not prohibited in any US state.
It doesn't really answer my question. I assume abortion laws differ between states?