News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Minecraft

Started by Josquius, November 05, 2011, 03:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Its been a while since there was a thread on this, so, any fans here?
Version 1 is due later this month. I am excited. Not sure what I'll do though, mp is more fun than sp, some awesome stuff can be built, trouble is someone always ruins it...
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

My son just found this. I can't get him off the computer anymore.

He just plays SP though - what is the concept behind MP?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Different servers do different things.
Overall its better. Its the same but...more people so more stuff gets built.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2011, 02:19:43 AM

My nine year old nephew is addicted. I'm hoping it wears off soon.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

It's less of a game and more of a simulator. Having said that, it's brilliant.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Hey! Look what we built! A giant weiner!

That gets old real quick.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Seen

I do play it a lot, but im not very imaginative so Im only slowly trying new stuff. Sticking with what one knows is not the best way to play this game but it drowns the hours just as quickly.

Syt

So, MS bought Mojang for $2.5 billion. I guess Notch can do whatever the fuck he likes now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Unlike before when he had only taken out about $200 million from the company.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 02, 2011, 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2011, 02:19:43 AM

My nine year old nephew is addicted. I'm hoping it wears off soon.

My nephew started around 9.  He's 11 now and still going strong with it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 02, 2011, 03:00:32 PM
Hey! Look what we built! A giant weiner!

That gets old real quick.

But at least mine builds things like rocket launch platform-like things.  :(

Though I think what is worse is that he watches endless youtube videos on it.

Razgovory

I never actually played this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Relocated my post from the Misc. Games thread. I had forgotten we had a dedicated thread for this.

I was sick this weekend, and while watching Gopher's Minecraft stream I decided to pick up the game myself. I'd thought about it in the past, but never really followed up on it.

I checked for mod recommendations, but it seems that most aren't updated for the current version 1.8.8 yet. so I installed a graphics optimization mod and stuck with Vanilla. I knew a few basics (monsters coming out at night, building shelter etc.) and had a wiki open for crafting recipes.

The game dropped me in forested hills, with a bit of snow on the peaks. I struck out exploring.

Hour 1: Ok, I need a shelter for the night. *builds hole in the hill, does a bit mining*
Hour 2: It's getting dark again, back to the shelter. Fuck, where is it? *builds new shelter*
Hour 3: I need wool for beds? But there's no sheep around! Come here, little spiders ....
Hour 5: This is a nice little valley I've chosen as home. I will level the hills to the south, east and west, fill in the valley, and turn the mountain I'm building in into a fortress!
Hour 8: You know, let's instead just build a few tall watch towers and connect them with cobbled roads.
Hour 10: A bed! :w00t:
Hour 13: Ok, I'm running out of animals to hunt. How does this farming/breeding  thing work?
Hour 15: Too. Many. Trees. I can't see a thing in the vicinity! Let's chop them all down.
Hour 18: Running out of iron. Let's build a vertical mine shaft with tunnels branching off!
Hour 20: Actually, I think the flat land further East would make for a nice location for a proper estate surrounded by fields and stables.  :hmm:

Obviously just scratching the surface so far. I have a few chickens, a few cows, and some rabbits (no pigs, because I can't find carrots), and a small irrigated field of grain. I've spelunked in caves under my "home," and explored the surrounding areas to some degree. And learned the value of placing landmarks and signposts.

It's oddly compelling. And it feels empowering to take the landscape you're given and reshaping it through your actions. I've not been to the Nether yet, obviously, or seen all biomes, or gotten beyond iron in my crafting, but I'm having a great time. Terraria does much the same, but for some reason I've never been so invested in that game - I guess being fully 3D makes a huge difference for me in this case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.