News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help me choose a phone

Started by crazy canuck, November 04, 2011, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

My current cell phone is ancient.  Its time to update but I have no idea what to get.  Many of my clients us Blackberry.  Should I just get that so I can us BBM with them?  My tech savy associates say I should get an Iphone - but are they just being trendy?  Other better options?

HVC

if you're going to use it as a phone and for clients then go BB, if you want music, games, and video go Iphone.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

also, if you want to hurt barristerboy get a droid platform phone. Like the Iphone in many ways, but with the added bonus of not giving money to apple.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

What do you want to use your phone for?

If you want it to sync up with your email and calendar at work, odds are your best set-up is a BB.  I have a government-issued BB and while I'm not a huge fan, the way it does seemlessly sync my emails and calendar is pretty useful for setting dates.

BBM - well its locked in to Blackberry's obviously.  I use it a little bit, but you inevitably have to use other means of communicating for people without it.

Your associates are certainly being a bit trendy, but the iPhone does sem like a really powerful phone.  Largest base of apps by a wide margin.  things to consider is - do you use any apple products?  iTunes?  If so the iPhone is a pretty obvious choice as again it will sync up with everything quite easily.  I gather the iPhone can also sync your email and calendar, but only if your IT people allow it to happen.  Mind you, you probably have a lot more power over your IT people than I do over mine.

Finally there's Android.  If you hate the notion of being restricted in what you can do with your phone, or if you want to tinker with it, an Android phone is the one for you.  There are dozens of models for sale - speiss is the one to go to on that front.

FWIW, in court I see tons of BBs and iPhones, but not too many Androids.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 04, 2011, 01:07:23 PM
also, if you want to hurt barristerboy get a droid platform phone. Like the Iphone in many ways, but with the added bonus of not giving money to apple.

*NOT* giving money to apple?  What a strange thing to say... :wacko:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2011, 01:14:43 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 04, 2011, 01:07:23 PM

*NOT* giving money to apple?  What a strange thing to say... :wacko:
if it makes you feel any better i gave money to apple for my iphone4. Like the phone, still dislike their computers.

fhdz

Windows Phone. They've put more real thought into the user interface than RIM, Apple, or certainly Google have; it syncs seamlessly with all my Office apps, and the social media integration is amazing.
and the horse you rode in on

MadBurgerMaker

I'm not really a big fan of the UI on my wife's Windows Phone (Samsung....uhhhh....Focus, I think), although as the updates have come out, it has gotten better. 

My favorite interface is still HTC's Sense, although I'm currently using a phone (Atrix) with Motorola's Blur, which is okay, but just not as slick as Sense IMO. 

The Brain

I use my telephone as a telephone.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2011, 02:03:06 PM
I use my telephone as a telephone.

Me too.

And a GPS device. And for sending emails and texts. And for jotting down notes. And for working with documents when I'm not in the office. And and and.

Barrister

Quote from: fahdiz on November 04, 2011, 01:24:26 PM
Windows Phone. They've put more real thought into the user interface than RIM, Apple, or certainly Google have; it syncs seamlessly with all my Office apps, and the social media integration is amazing.

Hey, I tried to stick up for Android against my better judgment, but I could not in good conscience suggest a Windows phone.  It has miniscule marketshare, I've never seen one in real life, and the app catelog is puny.  A Windows Phone might be an interesting option in 2012 when Nokia makes a big push, but in 2011 you'll have trouble even finding a Windows phone to purchase.

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2011, 02:46:32 PM
Hey, I tried to stick up for Android against my better judgment, but I could not in good conscience suggest a Windows phone.  It has miniscule marketshare, I've never seen one in real life, and the app catelog is puny.  A Windows Phone might be an interesting option in 2012 when Nokia makes a big push, but in 2011 you'll have trouble even finding a Windows phone to purchase.

:mellow: There is at least one Windows Phone on all four major carriers, right now as we speak.

The catalog contains all the apps I ever used when I had an Android phone and I don't feel like I'm missing a single thing.

Android marketshare was "miniscule" at the very beginning, too.

NB: I loved my iPhone, just hated AT&T. So I'm not one of those "Apple sux lol" guys. More competition in the smartphone market improves all the products.

MadBurgerMaker

A Windows Phone might be an interesting option in 2012 when Nokia makes a big push, but in 2011 you'll have trouble even finding a Windows phone to purchase.

:huh:  This isn't true at all.

fhdz

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 04, 2011, 03:14:09 PM
A Windows Phone might be an interesting option in 2012 when Nokia makes a big push, but in 2011 you'll have trouble even finding a Windows phone to purchase.

:huh:  This isn't true at all.

Yeah, I was scratching my head too. Maybe the situation's different in Canada?