News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WI Cold War Went Nuclear?

Started by Queequeg, April 26, 2009, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on April 27, 2009, 02:47:32 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 01:44:36 PMin Heinlein's case I can immediately think of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. :bleeding:

Not To Sail Beyond The Sunset? :bleeding:
Sorry, I've not read it. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: ulmont on April 27, 2009, 02:47:32 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 01:44:36 PMin Heinlein's case I can immediately think of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. :bleeding:

Not To Sail Beyond The Sunset? :bleeding:
Sorry, I've not read it. ^_^

I'll spoil it for you:  Lazarus Long goes back in time and fucks his mom.

Caliga

Ah, sounds like classic Heinlein.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

If the cold war went nukular it would no longer be a cold war. :smarty:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 05:36:28 PM
Really? Sounds like Niven to me. See: Destiny's Road. "No birdfucking allowed! It's the law!" I couldn't make that up if I tried. :bleeding:
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 27, 2009, 08:44:20 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 05:36:28 PM
Really? Sounds like Niven to me. See: Destiny's Road. "No birdfucking allowed! It's the law!" I couldn't make that up if I tried. :bleeding:
Niven's definitely one of those 60s-70s authors whose work is steeped in eroticism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alatriste

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 27, 2009, 01:40:16 PMAsimov was fine on average.  A lot of his books were bland time killers, which doesn't make them bad.  Heinlein just got a little too preachy.  I think he is required reading by alot of the Baen Publishing stable.

What do you mean 'a little'? He got so preachy that the utter lack of subtlety is almost funny... That was already very much in evidence by 1959 (Starship Troopers) and only became stronger with time.

Siege

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 27, 2009, 01:51:44 AM
I probably wouldn't have been incinerated in a nuclear war in the 80s, my town wasn't important and far enough away from the blast zones.  I most likely would have been eaten by the mutant cannibal hordes as they shuffled out of the radioactive wastelands in search of flesh.

I don't know if I would have been nuclearly blown to pieces back in the 80's.
Is it Haifa close enough to Tel Aviv, or a target important enough in his own right, to deserve a russian nuke?

I don't think that even a thermonuclear "city-buster" would have reached all the way to Haifa, if Tel Aviv was the only target in Israel.

People tend to overstimate the effect of nukes.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Zanza

In the 80s, I lived like 20 km from the GDR border. I guess the cities I lived in would either have been nuked or conquered within the first hours of ground war.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2009, 09:54:41 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 27, 2009, 01:51:44 AM
I probably wouldn't have been incinerated in a nuclear war in the 80s, my town wasn't important and far enough away from the blast zones.  I most likely would have been eaten by the mutant cannibal hordes as they shuffled out of the radioactive wastelands in search of flesh.

I don't know if I would have been nuclearly blown to pieces back in the 80's.
Is it Haifa close enough to Tel Aviv, or a target important enough in his own right, to deserve a russian nuke?

I don't think that even a thermonuclear "city-buster" would have reached all the way to Haifa, if Tel Aviv was the only target in Israel.

People tend to overstimate the effect of nukes.

Since your country was not part of Nato there was no reason to attack it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Siege

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on May 02, 2009, 10:51:39 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2009, 10:50:16 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 02, 2009, 10:45:22 PM
NATO sucks ass.
:huh:

Odd opinion. 

You are odd.
And you're drunk as a Russian dockworker.  I thought it was odd because, as a soldier, you have to, you know, fight with/for NATO, and the alliance helped save our ass in the Cold War.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

The RAND Corp. used to publish maps of blast zones and expected yields for various targets and the likelyhood of them being hit.  You could probably find them if you are curious about whether or not you'd have been vaporized.  If oudn one in a library book sale a year or so ago.  Boston would have been destroyed I'm sure, I'd have likely survived the initial exchange, but its anyone's guess about the ffallout and CHUDs.
PDH!