News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WI Cold War Went Nuclear?

Started by Queequeg, April 26, 2009, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

well, nuclear war in the early 80 would mean no survival for me seeing as my parents were stationed in Germany at the time. (radar and AA)
Oh well, shit happens

DisturbedPervert

I probably wouldn't have been incinerated in a nuclear war in the 80s, my town wasn't important and far enough away from the blast zones.  I most likely would have been eaten by the mutant cannibal hordes as they shuffled out of the radioactive wastelands in search of flesh.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2009, 10:20:06 PM
Why must it always be the 1980's?  It seems like when ever anyone wants to have a cold war hot scenario it's in the 1980's.  I mean the cold war covered 4 decades.
It was popular to assume that the election of Reagan meant that there would be a nuclear war.  It just kind of stuck with us, I suppose.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:45:23 PM
The funny thing about post-nuclear scenarios, is that everybody assumes they are going to be survivors.

And?
1: Its more interesting
2: Planning for what will happen if you do die is a bit redundant. You should assume you'll survive- if you're wrong then meh, no loss.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

If the Cold War went nuclear, I would be blasted 1,000 years into the future by a direct bomb strike and would be captured by black slavers from Africa (who by then dominated the planet due to the near-total destruction of the northern hemisphere) and eventually escape to found my own libertarian utopia.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 08:08:09 AM
If the Cold War went nuclear, I would be blasted 1,000 years into the future by a direct bomb strike and would be captured by black slavers from Africa (who by then dominated the planet due to the near-total destruction of the northern hemisphere) and eventually escape to found my own libertarian utopia.  :)
Bastard.  That book blew.
PDH!

Caliga

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

I really enjoyed it, and I'm the first to admit that Heinlein's body of work was uneven AT BEST.  :mad:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 12:47:05 PM
I really enjoyed it, and I'm the first to admit that Heinlein's body of work was uneven AT BEST.  :mad:
Robert Heinlein had Isaac Asimov Syndrome- for every well-known good book, there were at least two to three mediocre/awful ones that thankfully faded into obscurity.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 27, 2009, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 12:47:05 PM
Robert Heinlein had Isaac Asimov Syndrome- for every well-known good book, there were at least two to three mediocre/awful ones that thankfully faded into obscurity.
Asimov was fine on average.  A lot of his books were bland time killers, which doesn't make them bad.  Heinlein just got a little too preachy.  I think he is required reading by alot of the Baen Publishing stable.
PDH!

Caliga

I think in terms of his writing, Asimov was far more reliable.  Where Heinlein was great, he was brilliant.  Where he failed, he failed far more spectacularly.  I can't think of any Asimov works that I felt were complete trainwrecks, but in Heinlein's case I can immediately think of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. :bleeding:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2009, 10:20:06 PM
Why must it always be the 1980's?  It seems like when ever anyone wants to have a cold war hot scenario it's in the 1980's.  I mean the cold war covered 4 decades.
Because a war in 1961 would destroy the Soviet Union but leave behind a United States that was "relatively" in tact. People want a full on apocalypse and the 80s is best for that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2009, 01:44:36 PMin Heinlein's case I can immediately think of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. :bleeding:

Not To Sail Beyond The Sunset? :bleeding:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 01:06:37 AM
Do you think it's a coincidence I'm living in the subarctic, in the least likely area I can imagine to be nuked and still work as a federal prosecutor?

I figured there had to be some explanation.