Greece shocks markets with referendum on austerity

Started by garbon, November 01, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Don't disagree with any of your analysis so our difference must be semantic. For me a default means a failure to pay a sum of money one is contractually obliged to pay. If you boorow money from someone else to meet your obligations you haven't defaulted. If the lender varies his contract with you, you haven't defaulted. 

In non-semantic news, the referendum has been cancelled.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on November 03, 2011, 10:04:04 AM
que?

I greeted the news of the last rumor of referendum cancellation with an emphatic Nika, similar to how the Greeks of old once saluted a victorious charioteer before starting bloody revolts against Byzantine Emperors, but with this second one my Nika is more guarded.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2011, 07:16:46 AMI was talking about sovereigns.  Argentina settled a year back or so, a good long time after it's most recent default.
I think they offered a 90% haircut and over the past few years the majority of investors have accepted it as better than nothing.  There's still a few hold-outs, for a long-time there were a lot more.

QuoteI have a suspicion, but no proof, that investors in Russian ruble debt lost everything.  The difference is where the bonds are issued and what law governs them.  The majority of Latin American dollar denominated debt (which I'm most familiar with) is governed by New York law.  This is important because under NY law any unpaid creditors can seize any new loan disbursements as partial repayment.  So the sovereign is shut out of the market until they settle.
I'm not sure but my understanding was that all talk of Greek default has been based on the assumption that they'll be shut out of the market.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2011, 10:14:05 AMI greeted the news of the last rumor of referendum cancellation with an emphatic Nika, similar to how the Greeks of old once saluted a victorious charioteer before starting bloody revolts against Byzantine Emperors, but with this second one my Nika is more guarded.

It's so obvious when you put it like that.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 03, 2011, 10:15:18 AM
It's so obvious when you put it like that.

It just seemed more fun than just saying 'oh good the referendum is cancelled'

I thought I was on a board with history nerds for godsake.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2011, 07:33:50 AM
Funny-ass day: Greek politics are in absolute chaos, the government has lost it's majority, which causes world markets to... rocket up high, in hopes that this will somehow cancel the referendum and makes accepting the deal easier.

Maybe we should just accept the fact that markets are volatile, irrational and unpredictable. Recently, comments from market "experts" resemble ramblings of Roman augurs reading haruspices.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2011, 10:17:30 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2011, 07:33:50 AM
Funny-ass day: Greek politics are in absolute chaos, the government has lost it's majority, which causes world markets to... rocket up high, in hopes that this will somehow cancel the referendum and makes accepting the deal easier.

Maybe we should just accept the fact that markets are volatile, irrational and unpredictable. Recently, comments from market "experts" resemble ramblings of Roman augurs reading haruspices.

I vote we use some Eurocrats for entrail-reading purposes in this crisis ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2011, 10:19:14 AM
I vote we use some Eurocrats for entrail-reading purposes in this crisis ...  ;)

Or observe how many eagles pass over Brussels.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 03, 2011, 10:14:45 AM
I'm not sure but my understanding was that all talk of Greek default has been based on the assumption that they'll be shut out of the market.

There's a difference between being shut out of the market because any new loans get seized by creditors and being shut out because no one is willing to lend you money at any concievable interest rate.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2011, 10:14:05 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 03, 2011, 10:04:04 AM
que?

I greeted the news of the last rumor of referendum cancellation with an emphatic Nika, similar to how the Greeks of old once saluted a victorious charioteer before starting bloody revolts against Byzantine Emperors, but with this second one my Nika is more guarded.

You young people and your internet slang.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2011, 10:17:30 AMMaybe we should just accept the fact that markets are volatile, irrational and unpredictable. Recently, comments from market "experts" resemble ramblings of Roman augurs reading haruspices.
Yeah.  I was watching the news last night.  They had one head of a hedge fund on saying the Euro was going to collapse, it was unsustainable, Greece needed to default.  Then they had the head of HSBC's ForEx trading saying the Euro wasn't going to collapse, bit more volatile than recently but will be okay, Greece may default and that the other guy shouldn't be invited on to talk about what he doesn't understand.

It made the wonderful Greek Communist MP a real relief.  As well as flirting with Jon Snow and calling him 'my dear' she described the referendum as a choice betwee 'would you like to die or do you want us to kill you?'  All in an extraordinary Arianna Huffington accent :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on November 03, 2011, 10:01:29 AM
Don't disagree with any of your analysis so our difference must be semantic. For me a default means a failure to pay a sum of money one is contractually obliged to pay. If you boorow money from someone else to meet your obligations you haven't defaulted. If the lender varies his contract with you, you haven't defaulted. 

I'm leaning on AR's side on this.

Greece is insolvent. If Greece was a private debtor, it would have defaulted, since it would have been forced by law to apply to a court to declare bankruptcy the moment it went insolvent. That would have been followed by some form of composition proceedings where it would probably reach a settlement with its creditors the way Greece has done now.

A private debtor can roll / restructure its debt or agree to have it reduced, the way Greece is doing, without going bankrupt, but usually bankruptcy laws prevent it from doing so without defaulting first, if it becomes insolvent.

So I am leaning on the side that Greece has for all purposes defaulted.