Greece shocks markets with referendum on austerity

Started by garbon, November 01, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/greece-shocks-markets-referendum-austerity-134616084.html

QuoteWorries that a planned Greek referendum could scuttle a plan to resolve Europe's debt crisis rattled markets Tuesday morning. The Dow Jones industrial average plunged nearly 200 points, and European stock indexes fell broadly. The dollar and U.S. government bond prices rose as traders moved into assets considered safe.

The Greek government shocked financial markets with news that it would put its unpopular cost-cutting plan to a public vote. If it's defeated, the country could drop the European currency and default on its debt, which would put the European banking system and regional economies at risk of another crisis.

"The Greek referendum puts the connections between European countries at risk, from free-trade agreements to the common currency," said Guy LeBas, chief fixed income strategist at Janney Montgomery Scott.

The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 194 points, or 1.6 percent, to 11,760 as of 11 a.m. The S&P 500 fell 23, or 1.8 percent, to 1,230. The Nasdaq composite fell 49, or 1.8 percent, to 2,635.

Banks fell hard as investors worried about how exposed U.S. banks are to European debt. Citigroup lost 4.5 percent. Morgan Stanley dropped 6.5 percent. JPMorgan Chase & Co. fell 4.2 percent, the largest drop among the 30 stocks in the Dow.

European markets fell ever more. Germany's DAX index fell 4.7 percent and France's CAC-40 fell 4.8 percent.

French banks have large holdings of Greek government bonds and would be exposed to severe losses if Greece goes through a disorderly default on its debt. Societe Generale SA plunged 16 percent in Paris trading and BNP Paribas SA lost 11 percent.

On Monday the U.S. securities firm MF Global Holdings Ltd. became the first big casualty of the European debt crisis on Wall Street. The company, led by former New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine, filed for bankruptcy after concerns about the company's holdings of European government bonds caused its business partners to pull back from the firm and ratings agencies to downgrade its debt.

The yield on the 10-year Treasury note sank to 2.01 percent from 2.16 percent late Monday, a steep drop. Yields fall when bond prices rise. The dollar rose to $1.36 for every euro.

The prime minister of Greece called for the referendum late Monday and the news sent U.S. stocks spiraling lower. The S&P 500 index fell 2.5 percent, which put the broad-market index below where it started the year.

Credit Suisse Group AG fell 9 percent after Switzerland's second-largest bank reported profits that fell short of expectations. The bank also announced plans to cut 1,500 people from its payroll.

The drop came a day after U.S. stocks closed out their best month in nearly 10 years. The Standard & Poor's 500, the most widely used market index, rose 10.8 percent in October, the biggest gain since December 1991.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

We have all been screwed by a Greek man.  Even Marti doesn't like that.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2011, 10:47:43 AM"The Greek referendum puts the connections between European countries at risk, from free-trade agreements to the common currency," said Guy LeBas, chief fixed income strategist at Janney Montgomery Scott.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Would one of you Euro countries please invade Greece and get everyone's money back plz.  I hear the Monastir Gap is lightly defended.  :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

I nominate Italy. They deserve a chance to do it right this time.
PDH!

alfred russel

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 01, 2011, 11:12:50 AM

That would just lead to another German bailout. :rolleyes:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

People of Europe!  Rise up and take vengeance on the perfidious Hellenes!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on November 01, 2011, 11:14:12 AM

Yeah.  I think ubermensch are needed for this job, sorry :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

This is pretty worrying. Looks like if Greece handles things badly then there will be big financial problems in Europe, which will also hit the US and elsewhere. I heard some talk of near calamitous economic results, especially in some Euro nations that are invested heavily in Greece, if Greece defaults.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: KRonn on November 01, 2011, 11:30:09 AM
This is pretty worrying. Looks like if Greece handles things badly then there will be big financial problems in Europe, which will also hit the US and elsewhere. I heard some talk of near calamitous economic results, especially in some Euro nations that are invested heavily in Greece, if Greece defaults.

..........and yet Greece accounts for just over 2% of the Eurozone economy. So we have an economic system where the tip of the tail wags the dog.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 01, 2011, 11:43:27 AM
Quote from: KRonn on November 01, 2011, 11:30:09 AM

..........and yet Greece accounts for just over 2% of the Eurozone economy. So we have an economic system where the tip of the tail wags the dog.

Which raises the question again of an orderly State bankruptcy if the Greeks reject this plan.  Save the banks that were fool enough to invest in Greek debt and then let the country sink into the Med.

Maximus

Looks like a significant portion of the government wasn't onboard with this plan.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 11:47:49 AM
Looks like a significant portion of the government wasn't onboard with this plan.

Hope for a palace coup?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on November 01, 2011, 11:16:37 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 01, 2011, 11:14:12 AM

Yeah.  I think ubermensch are needed for this job, sorry :(

No problems like this when the Turks were ruling Greece. :contract:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2011, 11:49:26 AM
Hope for a palace coup?
It doesn't seem like we'll be any better off if the government falls.