News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Palestine voted into UNESCO, USA cuts funding

Started by Solmyr, November 01, 2011, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2011, 01:28:43 PM
I find it rather disgusting that for the US, the "red line", beyond which they will not provide funding to an otherwise helpful and useful organization, is the implied recognition of the Palestinian state.

I have not realized the Jewish lobby in Washington DC is so powerful.

I don't. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Looks like this legislation could prevent the US from funding the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) if the Palestinians join. Oops.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchannels/2011/1101/After-UNESCO-Palestine-vote-could-US-defund-nuclear-watchdog-IAEA-too
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2011, 01:44:56 PM

You and me both.  The Sharon years were the only time I had any sort of optimism about the Palestine-Israel question.

I thought they had a real chance in the late 90's.  When Arafat showed that he could not, or would not make a deal, I lost all faith that there will be a peace. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 01:41:32 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 01, 2011, 01:38:15 PMI thought the main tripwire for US/Israel supporting recognition was reciprocal recognition for Israel. Is that not right?
The PA's recognised Israel since the 90s.

Also in Arab? Or just in english for the non-arabs/muslims?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

I don't understand. So, the US doesn't think Palestine is a state?

I mean, we recognize that Iran and Syria are states even though we don't like them...

PJL

I must say, kudos to the PA at the moment. They're playing a crafty game and using the weapons of their 'enemy' to their advantage. It defintely makes them more a nation in waiting that the usual circle of violence eminating from the Gaza area.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on November 01, 2011, 05:56:11 PM
I don't understand. So, the US doesn't think Palestine is a state?

I mean, we recognize that Iran and Syria are states even though we don't like them...
They really aren't.  Not until they get the Israeli boot off their neck and start controlling some territory.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 01, 2011, 05:21:50 PMAlso in Arab? Or just in english for the non-arabs/muslims?
Yep.  It was part of Oslo and one of the conditions of it.  Then I think the PLO's charter was initially amended, but not necessarily to everyone's satisfaction.  I think it's since been replaced and Netanyahu's government in the late 90s accepted that the PA position explicitly recognises Israel under 'international law'.

QuoteI don't understand. So, the US doesn't think Palestine is a state?

The Palestinians have never officially declared independence.  This is something they've been pushing the past year or so.  They've got explicit recognition from most of Latin America and some European nations.  The UN vote had all of the BRICS on their side.

QuoteI must say, kudos to the PA at the moment. They're playing a crafty game and using the weapons of their 'enemy' to their advantage. It defintely makes them more a nation in waiting that the usual circle of violence eminating from the Gaza area.
I think they're playing it well and the Israelis are just not playing at all.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Neil

Josephus

I thought the US didn't really pay their UN bills anyways...so is cutting UNESCO funding a huge deal?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2011, 06:40:07 PM
I thought the US didn't really pay their UN bills anyways...so is cutting UNESCO funding a huge deal?
Wasn't that some time ago?  The impression I got was that the US was going to cut them a cheque, but now is prevented by law.

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 06:26:39 PM
I think they're playing it well and the Israelis are just not playing at all.

The Israelis usually look good when they let the Palestinians have the pitch to themselves.

But, seriously, I think the Oslo process is foundering on the inevitable problem of the final resolution of the conflict. The issues of Refugees does not seem resolvable. The basic fundamental positions of the two sides on the refugees is the true issue standing in the way of the solution.

The Israelis will not accept a solution which changes the demographics of Israel and the Palestinians will not accept a deal which does not accept the right of Palestinian refugees to just that.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.