And we're back!

Main Menu

Palestine voted into UNESCO, USA cuts funding

Started by Solmyr, November 01, 2011, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2011, 07:37:59 AM
Quote from: Neil on November 03, 2011, 11:07:14 PM
It would have been better if we had put Israel someplace decent, like maybe in Europe.  Maybe Poland could be Israel, and the Poles could go live with their Russian brothers.
Sadly, Moses decided to go east instead of north.
No, I mean the modern Israel.  There wasn't any obligation to put it in the Mideast on territory that was rightfully Arab.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Siege on November 03, 2011, 08:31:22 PMSettlements are being build in ISRAELI land.
Nobody is building in Gaza or the West Bank.
People are building in the West Bank.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2011, 08:45:35 AM
Quote from: Siege on November 03, 2011, 08:31:22 PMSettlements are being build in ISRAELI land.
Nobody is building in Gaza or the West Bank.
People are building in the West Bank.
Siege is just pointing out that the land you call "the West bank" is part of Israel's Lebensraum and thus part of Israel.  Only what isn't part of the Lebensraum can be called "the West Bank."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2011, 07:55:43 AM
It would have been better if we had put Israel someplace decent, like maybe in Europe.  Maybe Poland could be Israel, and the Poles could go live with their Russian brothers.
No, I mean the modern Israel.  There wasn't any obligation to put it in the Mideast on territory that was rightfully Arab.

To be fair, it was rightfully Arab by means of conquest, and is now Israeli by those same means.

The Brain

We can't accept a small state in the ME founded on terrorism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 04, 2011, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2011, 07:55:43 AM
To be fair, it was rightfully Arab by means of conquest, and is now Israeli by those same means.
Yeah, but I don't think that the Classical Greeks are going to be coming back for Palestine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Solmyr

Should bring back the Ottomans, clearly. Give them Greece too for good measure.

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2011, 07:27:22 PM
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habsburg

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 09:04:59 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2011, 08:08:09 PMI really think the smart move is open the door wide open to the PA and welcome them to statehood.  Then they finally will have to be responsible for themselves and abide by the rules of the state system.
I agree.  The Israeli FM should sit in the General Assembly inviting the Arab League to endorse a Palestinian state on the borders according to the UN, which will mean acknowledging Israel.

Habsburg

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2011, 10:44:29 AM
Why would the US be opposed to that? It's not like it's the UN Security Council. Isn't it good that Palestine would cooperate on UNESCO goals, which are valid and worthy?

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2011, 07:27:22 PM

I think the Ottomans had let the Jews settle there.  Hell, if the Ottomans had lasted longer and had sufficiently protected the Jews from the Arabs a Jewish nation inside the Ottoman empire may have worked out quite well.

It's a shame WWI came along and ruined everything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2011, 01:51:40 AMI think the Ottomans had let the Jews settle there.  Hell, if the Ottomans had lasted longer and had sufficiently protected the Jews from the Arabs a Jewish nation inside the Ottoman empire may have worked out quite well.

Oddly enough King Abdullah offered the Jewish Agency an autonomous Jewish canton within Trans-Jordan roughly along partition lines.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2011, 08:26:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2011, 01:51:40 AMI think the Ottomans had let the Jews settle there.  Hell, if the Ottomans had lasted longer and had sufficiently protected the Jews from the Arabs a Jewish nation inside the Ottoman empire may have worked out quite well.

Oddly enough King Abdullah offered the Jewish Agency an autonomous Jewish canton within Trans-Jordan roughly along partition lines.

I think the Holocaust sorta soured the idea of Jews living at the mercy of another autocrat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2011, 08:42:44 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2011, 08:26:43 AM

I think the Holocaust sorta soured the idea of Jews living at the mercy of another autocrat.
It might have been possible if the world had been more successful in reining in Jewish terrorism.  That said, Israel reaps what it has sown, and every Israeli civilian who is killed by terrorism is just getting a taste of the King David Hotel.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 06, 2011, 11:10:12 AM
It might have been possible if the world had been more successful in reining in Jewish terrorism.  That said, Israel reaps what it has sown, and every Israeli civilian who is killed by terrorism is just getting a taste of the King David Hotel.
[The Brain]Unless they are shot, in which case they are getting a taste of what Israeli terrorists handed out when they murdered Folke Bernadotte.[/The Brain]

Bayraktar!