Worst published prose you've ever encountered

Started by jimmy olsen, October 31, 2011, 05:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2011, 07:19:59 PM
Malthus is the one who revealed it. :mellow:
I don't think Malthus has ever revealed that his aunt is the worst prose writer that he's ever read.  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2011, 08:29:57 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2011, 07:19:59 PM
Malthus is the one who revealed it. :mellow:
I don't think Malthus has ever revealed that his aunt is the worst prose writer that he's ever read.  :huh:

^_^
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

I've never read any of her stuff.  Princesca described The Handmaid's Tale to me once and I said "Feminazi bullshit.  No thanks."  She tried to explain it wasn't just that, but once my mind is made up,  IT IS MADE UP GODDAMN IT. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

I think I saw the movie of that once. Don't remember a lick of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 31, 2011, 06:07:37 PM
Anything by a Bronte.
I love the Brontes.  I'm a Wuthering Heights boy :sadblush:

Twilight saga.  I couldn't get beyond 10 pages because I'm not a teenage girl.  I say that as a gayman fan of the films.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Why would I read garbage?  Though I do have a few favorite authors that write "badly" but oh so well, e.g. David Goodis and assorted pulp B-listers...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Gups

I like Margaret Atwood. There's nothing at all wrong with her prose style.

grumbler

Quote from: Gups on November 02, 2011, 05:28:12 AM
I like Margaret Atwood. There's nothing at all wrong with her prose style.
My comment may not have been meant entirely seriously.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Heh, my aunt is not in fact my favourite writer - the themes that interest her are not those that interest me, reading her is often uncomfortably like overhearing my parents gossip - but, trolling aside, there is no doubt she's a very good writer indeed.

It is just odd that she mines so much of her fiction from family history, so I see echoes of it when I read some of her stuff. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 02, 2011, 01:33:24 AM
Why would I read garbage?  Though I do have a few favorite authors that write "badly" but oh so well, e.g. David Goodis and assorted pulp B-listers...

You can end up reading garbage when you didn't intend to. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2011, 08:40:33 AM

It is just odd that she mines so much of her fiction from family history, so I see echoes of it when I read some of her stuff.

Doesn't seem that odd given that she had quite an unusual upbringing and spent a lot of her time with just her family in isolated locations. At least that's the impression I got from her Desert Island Discs slot.

My nomination for worst prose is Enid Blyton. Such a hack.

I read the first few hundred pages of a book called Shantaram a while ago. Sample sentence

"The hole in my life that a father should've filled was a prairie of longing. In the loneliest hours of those hunted years, I wandered there, as hungry for a father's love as a cellblock full of sentenced men in the last hour of New Year's Eve"

Eddie Teach

Somebody mentioned that line here before. It is indeed quite awful.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Probably me. I fucking hate that book, especially as loads of people seem to love it.