And we're back!

Main Menu

So what happened to the BP oil spill?

Started by Martinus, October 27, 2011, 03:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on October 27, 2011, 05:50:00 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 27, 2011, 05:21:23 PM
.....and, as fahdiz remarked, turns out that the gulf of Mexico constantly leaks oil and has bacteria that mop most of it up.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2010/08/24/oil-eating-bacteria-have-started-to-clean-the-deepwater-horizon-spill/

Pretty amazing stuff.
Pretty alarming, actually.  Now we don't just have Chinese to compete with for oil, we now have to compete with bacteria as well.  :(

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on October 27, 2011, 06:03:38 PM
Pretty alarming, actually.  Now we don't just have Chinese to compete with for oil, we now have to compete with bacteria as well.  :(

They'll outlive us all :(

The bacteria, that is; not the Chinese.
and the horse you rode in on

Habbaku

All that oil, lost to bacteria. How can we fight an enemy so small?  :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on October 27, 2011, 06:20:26 PM
All that oil, lost to bacteria. How can we fight an enemy so small?  :(
We can spill a bunch of antibiotics next, or just route the drinking water into the Gulf.

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2011, 03:00:23 PM
It was like big on the news and we were all going to die and all, but then it suddenly went off the radar. Was anyone held liable? Was it stopped?  :huh:

They paid the media.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

There has been quite a bit of coverage lately, which Richard summarized.  Anadarko settled and negotiations are ongoing with the rest of the subs.  BP is filling up its comp fund faster than expected, but could face more exposure if the us government pushes for higher regulatory penalties.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 27, 2011, 06:25:45 PM
We can spill a bunch of antibiotics next

What doesn't kill them will only make them stronger. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Anyway in September of 2010...

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/16/science/la-sci-oil-20100917
QuoteBacteria in the gulf mostly digested gas, not oil, study finds
The discovery tempers hopes that microorganisms have eaten up most of the spilled oil in the gulf, as other scientists had recently suggested, the lead author says.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2011, 10:34:30 PM

We'll have to keep spilling them for 10 days.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on October 27, 2011, 04:40:25 PM
[Marti] So what about World War Two? It was like big on the news and we were all going to die and all, but then it suddenly went off the radar. Was anyone held liable? Was it stopped?  :huh:[/Marti]

WW2 ended definitely. It appears from the responses of others that the BP spill is still going on although it is partially contained.

You can be such an obnoxious retard at times. You are one of the two my least favourite people on Languish.

Martinus

Ok, so in a typical Western civilization way, we dealt with it to the style of "There was a woman who swallowed a fly.... Oh look, pretty colors. News at 11".

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2011, 06:05:55 AM

Ok, so in a typical Western civilization way, we dealt with it to the style of "There was a woman who swallowed a fly.... Oh look, pretty colors. News at 11".

I've no idea what you are talking about.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2011, 06:03:47 AMIt appears from the responses of others that the BP spill is still going on although it is partially contained.
You must have misunderstood that. The oil well was closed and eventually filled with concrete. The spill is over.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on October 28, 2011, 07:39:53 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2011, 06:03:47 AMIt appears from the responses of others that the BP spill is still going on although it is partially contained.
You must have misunderstood that. The oil well was closed and eventually filled with concrete. The spill is over.

Oh ok. That's the piece of info I was missing. :P

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2011, 06:03:47 AM
WW2 ended definitely. It appears from the responses of others that the BP spill is still going on although it is partially contained.
It appears from the responses of others (and the reporting of the news media) that "spill" ended in September 2010, and that it is entirely "contained."

QuoteYou can be such an obnoxious retard at times.
:lmfao:  You are the completely ignorant of the end of a major (at times the major) news stories of 2010, and I am the retard?

That you find me "obnoxious" makes me happy.

QuoteYou are one of the two my least favourite people on Languish.
Excellent!   Don't just ragequit on my behalf, though.  Think of the other members of the forum, and ragequit for their sake.

Or stay.  I find your combination of arrogance and stupidity highly entertaining.  So long as you are here, no one else needs to worry about being the most pathetic member of the forum.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!