American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Some shop is making a semi-auto centerfire version of the StG44.  Will accept STANAG magazines and will be available in original 8mm Kurz, 5.56 NATO, & 7.62x39.  Will be available this summer for $1799.  Guess I need to sell off some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxrZA8DyczQ

Also American Tactical Imports got approval from the ATF to import a semi-auto MP40.  Should be an interesting summer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Forged by the crackers of old during the First Age, it glows when unarmed black teens in hoodies are nearby.  derweiß will rechristen it Skittles Slayer.

QuoteMorning Mix
The gun George Zimmerman said he used on Trayvon Martin is up for auction again after being delisted
By Wesley Lowery, Travis M. Andrews and Niraj Chokshi May 12 at 4:12 PM
Washington Post

After one online gun seller pulled his listing, George Zimmerman has found a new website on which he plans to auction the gun he said he used to kill Trayvon Martin.

Zimmerman initially posted the 9mm pistol on GunBroker.com on Wednesday night, more than four years after he shot and killed Martin, an unarmed black teenager.

"I am honored and humbled to announce the sale of an American Firearm Icon," read Zimmerman's description of the gun, a Kel-Tec PF-9. "The firearm for sale is the firearm that was used to defend my life and end the brutal attack from Trayvon Martin on 2/26/2012."

But on Thursday morning, that listing vanished from Gunbroker, which later said in a statement that it wanted "no part" in the sale of a firearm whose use in the fatal 2012 shooting in Florida sparked a nationwide debate over race relations and "stand your ground" laws.

"We reserve the right to reject listings at our sole discretion, and have done so with the Zimmerman listing," the statement read. "We want no part in the listing on our web site or in any of the publicity it is receiving."

Undeterred, Zimmerman found a new place to sell the weapon.

"Unfortunately, Gun broker was not prepared for the traffic and publicity surrounding the auction of my firearm," he said in an email to The Post on Thursday. "It has now been placed with another auction house."

Todd Underwood, owner of UnitedGunGroup.com, confirmed Thursday afternoon that Zimmerman's gun is now listed on his site, which Underwood described as a "pro-Second Amendment community" created this year after Facebook banned private gun sales.

"I talked to George Zimmerman earlier today and told him that as long as all laws are being followed, he can list the gun on our site," Underwood told The Post. "I don't support it, I don't condone it, I don't have anything against it. It's his property, it's his decision."

Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter in the fatal shooting of Martin in Sanford, but was acquitted by a Florida jury in July 2013.

"Why shouldn't he be selling it?!" Underwood said when asked about outrage sparked by Zimmerman's auction plans. "Here's the thing, parents lost their child and as a father it breaks my heart to even contemplate going through what they went through.

"But when you look at the facts of the case, he was charged and he was exonerated by a jury of his peers. This shouldn't even be a story. A gentleman who did nothing wrong is selling a personal possession of his to the highest bidder."

Zimmerman said in the listing that proceeds of the auction will be used to "fight [Black Lives Matter] violence against Law Enforcement officers" and to "ensure the demise of Angela Correy's persecution career and Hillary Clinton's anti-firearm rhetoric," though he hasn't described how that would happen.

Corey, whose name was misspelled, is the special prosecutor who was appointed by then-Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) to investigate Martin's shooting death.

An attorney for Martin's family said Thursday that Zimmerman's plan to auction the gun was "insulting and disrespectful."

"It is insulting to this family that he would decide that he would sell the gun that he killed their child with," Daryl D. Parks, one of the attorneys for the family, told The Washington Post. "Think about what that means: This is a gun that took a child's life, and now he wants to make money off of it."

On both auction websites, Zimmerman claimed the case number from the trial is written on the gun in permanent marker and that "The Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C." has expressed interest in "owning and displaying the firearm," though he did not specify which museum.

The Smithsonian Institution, which operates 19 museums, refuted that claim Thursday morning, before the gun disappeared from the auction site.

We have never expressed interest in collecting George Zimmerman's firearm, and have no plans to ever collect or display it in any museums

— Smithsonian (@smithsonian) May 12, 2016

"The firearm is fully functional as the attempts by the Department of Justice on behalf of B. Hussein Obama to render the firearm inoperable were thwarted by my phenomenal Defense Attorney," Zimmerman wrote, "I recognize the purchaser's ownership and right to do with the firearm as they wish."

He closed the description with si vis pacem para bellum, which means "If you want peace, prepare for war" in Latin.

Bidding opens at $5,000.

Zimmerman told Fox affiliate WOFL on Wednesday that he "recently received [the gun] back from the Department of Justice. They took it after my trial, after I was exonerated."

He told the Orlando station that he had received death threats since listing the firearm on Gunbroker.com but decided to continue with the sale anyway.

"What I've decided to do is not cower," he said. "I'm a free American. I can do what I want with my possessions."

Parks, the attorney for Martin's relatives, said Thursday that "the family does not want to dignify this with a response. Everyone agrees this is insulting and disrespectful. Without question, as time passes, we are seeing more and more the real person — who George Zimmerman really is versus who he was portrayed to be by his defense team."

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) criticized Zimmerman's decision to sell the gun in a statement issued shortly before the sale was halted then moved to the second auction site.

"Trayvon Martin's cold-blooded killer should be in prison," Jeffries said. "Instead, he is trying to profit from the stunning miscarriage of justice that occurred three years ago in a Florida courtroom. It should shock the conscience of every decent American that this man is peddling his murder weapon for sale. America must reject this merchant of death once and for all."

This isn't the first time Zimmerman has caused controversy by selling a personal item. In August, he teamed up with Florida Gun Supply — a store that had publicly declared itself a "Muslim-free zone" — to sell prints of a painting by Zimmerman depicting a Confederate battle flag. It included the inscription, "The 2nd protects our 1st," presumably referring to the Second and First amendments.

DGuller

I wonder at which point his supporters would be able to see past the fact that he shot a black guy, and realize that this bozo is a liability they'd rather not be associated with?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Don't look at me, I said Zimmerman was a shithead from the beginning.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Someone ought to buy it and cap his ass with it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2016, 08:29:39 PM
Don't look at me, I said Zimmerman was a shithead from the beginning.

That's only because he was Hispanic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

:nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson:

QuoteAmerica
Federal Appeals Court Says There Is No Right To Carry Concealed Weapons In Public
June 9, 20166:05 PM ET
Richard Gonzales
NPR

A federal appeals court in California ruled today that local authorities have the right to require people to obtain permits before carrying concealed weapons in public.

In a 7-4 decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Second Amendment right to bear arms does not include carrying a concealed gun. The ruling upholds a California handgun permit law, one of the toughest in the country. The opinion is binding only in the Western states covered by the 9th Circuit (Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington).

The decision reverses a 2014 ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit that found California's handgun control law unconstitutional.

Judge William Fletcher wrote for the full-court majority:

"The right of a member of the general public to carry a concealed firearm in public is not, and never has been, protected by the Second Amendment. Therefore, because the Second Amendment does not protect in any degree the right to carry concealed firearms in public, any prohibition or restriction a state may choose to impose on concealed carry — including a requirement of 'good cause,' however defined — is necessarily allowed by the Amendment."

The case involves gun owners in two California counties, San Diego and Yolo, who were denied permits to carry concealed weapons. Under state law, applicants have to show good moral character, have a good cause and take a training course.

At the heart of the dispute was the interpretation of "good cause."

AS NPR's Kirk Siegler reported for NPR's Newscast Unit:

"Basically applicants for a concealed-carry weapons permit in San Diego County had to demonstrate that they were in some sort of immediate danger — they were, say, carrying a large sum of money, or their life was clearly at risk. In other words, they couldn't just get a concealed-carry permit on the basis of self-defense alone."

Gun rights groups challenged California's handgun law as an infringement of the Second Amendment. Agreeing with them in a dissent was Judge Consuelo Callahan:

"The Second Amendment is not a 'second-class' constitutional guarantee. ... The majority fails to recognize the real impact of the counties' policies on the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms."