American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2015, 06:40:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2015, 06:35:44 PM
Sorry dude it was a joke. :sleep:

Being told that I'm going to be shot in the back in the head, my wife and kids raped and killed isn't a HA HA ED ANGER! moment.
What the hell! :o

EDIT: Taken to the back room
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2015, 06:40:49 PM
Being told that I'm going to be shot in the back in the head, my wife and kids raped and killed isn't a HA HA ED ANGER! moment.
Ok ok, man, sorry. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Army.  :rolleyes:

QuoteMan arrested in Fayetteville, North Carolina, mall with rifle, ammunition
By Laura Smith-Spark, CNN
Updated 2:28 PM ET, Fri July 3, 2015

Man arrested in North Carolina mall with AR-15 01:32

(CNN)Police arrested a soldier carrying an AR-15 rifle and ammunition at a Fayetteville, North Carolina, mall after officers received multiple reports of an armed man walking through a Macy's department store.

Bryan Wolfinger was tracked down within minutes near the Macy's wing of the Cross Creek Mall on Thursday evening, police said.

He was detained without incident, according to police, and charged with "going armed to the terror of the public."

Wolfinger, who is assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, was carrying the rifle, a Kevlar vest and multiple ammunition magazines, and he intended to have photographs taken with the gun and the other equipment, CNN affiliate WNCN reported, citing Fayetteville police.

Police have released Wolfinger, and he is "with his chain of command," said Master Sgt. Patrick Malone, a spokesman for 82nd Airborne Division.

"These charges represent actions that are wholly inconsistent with the high standards and values we expect from our paratroopers," Malone said. Fort Bragg is fully cooperating with the police investigation, he said.

While initial reports indicated that a second armed man was in the mall, Wolfinger was found to be acting alone. Officers searched the entire mall to be sure there was no second armed man present, the police statement said.

DGuller

I didn't realize there was such a crime as the bolded.  Makes perfect sense to have it on the books, even if you allow open carry.

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2015, 04:17:49 PM
I didn't realize there was such a crime as the bolded.  Makes perfect sense to have it on the books, even if you allow open carry.

I was curious...

http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/going-armed-to-the-terror-of-the-people/

QuoteStatute

This is a common law offense. State v. Dawson, 272 N.C. 535, 541-42 (1968); State v. Huntly, 25 N.C. 418, 418 (1843); State v. Staten, 32 N.C. App. 495, 496-97 (1977) (citing Dawson).

Elements

A person guilty of this offense

(1)  arms himself or herself with an unusual and dangerous weapon

(2)  for the purpose of terrifying others and

(3)  goes about on public highways

(4)  in a manner to cause terror to the people.

Punishment

Class 1 misdemeanor. G.S. 14-3(a).

Notes

Generally. For the elements of this offense, see Dawson, 272 N.C. at 549, and Staten, 32 N.C. App. at 497.

For a case in which the evidence was sufficient to establish this offense, see, for example, Dawson, 272 N.C. at 549 (armed with a carbine and four pistols, the defendant and three others drove on the public highways at night, firing bullets into a store and two homes).

Element (1). In Huntly, the court held that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Huntly, 25 N.C. at 422. In that case it was argued that a gun cannot constitute an unusual weapon, "for there is scarcely a man in the community who does not own and occasionally use a gun of some sort." Id. The court rejected that argument, concluding: "A gun is an 'unusual weapon,' wherewith to be armed and clad. No man amongst us carries it about with him, as one of his every day accoutrements–as a part of his dress–and never we trust will the day come when any deadly weapon will be worn or wielded in our peace loving and law-abiding State, as an appendage of manly equipment." Id.

In State v. Lanier, 71 N.C. 288, 289 (1874), the defendant was charged with going armed to the terror of the people after riding a horse, at a canter, through a courthouse. Witnesses saw no arms of any kind. The North Carolina Supreme Court "attach[ed] no importance to the fact that the defendant had no arms" stating, "we think it may be conceded that the driving or riding without arms through a court house or a crowded street at such a rate or in such a manner as to endanger the safety of the inhabitants amounts to a breach of the peace and is an indictable offence at common law." Id. at 290.

A horse can be an "unusual weapon".  :(

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

I get the feeling they added up total guns registered and divided by population. 

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

katmai

lustindarkness

The NE will be fucked when the zombie apocalypse hits.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2015, 07:24:11 PM
I get the feeling they added up total guns registered and divided by population.

Don't we have more guns than people?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on July 04, 2015, 07:44:33 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 04, 2015, 07:27:33 PM
I'm surprised by Hawaii. :hmm:

Yeah that was one eye opening to me.

Probably all the white landowners getting prepped for an independence movement...or the revolution is coming...  :P

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 04, 2015, 10:55:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2015, 07:24:11 PM

Don't we have more guns than people?

But that would be the way that you wouldn't want to run the analysis (and assuming they didn't per Yi's comment) as then you'd have a gun nut who has 30 guns upping the percentage of people who "own" guns.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.