American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Who was that toddler I saw you with the other day?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2014, 09:05:43 AMI've been to a lot of ranges & I've never seen someone get laughed at or looked at funny for shooting a .22 rifle or pistol.  Lots of people use adapters to fire .22 in full caliber weapons or completely separate .22 versions to train with.  It's a fun & inexpensive round to shoot.  Only downside for .22 at the moment is that it's hard to find due to a continuing ammo shortage (thanks hoarders!).  But for short range target shooting and plinking, it's a great choice. 

For any kind of defense, I'd probably wield a baseball bat before a .22, unless it looked scary enough to make someone run away.

Is actually being shot by a .22 round something that's easy to shrug off? Or is it more of a pop-cultural effect that people chose not to take it seriously?

I mean, if someone pointed a .22 at you, would you behave differently than if they pointed something of a heavier caliber at you?

derspiess

Actually a semi-auto version of that would be great for home defense.  A variety of submachinegun parts kits have been imported into the US (with the receiver torch cut to deactivate it) and a couple companies have taken the parts and made them into semi-auto, closed bolt versions of their former selves.  They are sold as "pistols" with the folding stocks permanently welded.  In some cases they made them into carbine-type rifles with a new 16-inch barrel (short-barreled rifles are legal but you have to buy a $200 tax stamp).

Here's a Polish PPS-43 you can get for $300 and up.  I can't have one in Ohio because of the 32-round mag :(

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2014, 01:52:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2014, 09:05:43 AMI've been to a lot of ranges & I've never seen someone get laughed at or looked at funny for shooting a .22 rifle or pistol.  Lots of people use adapters to fire .22 in full caliber weapons or completely separate .22 versions to train with.  It's a fun & inexpensive round to shoot.  Only downside for .22 at the moment is that it's hard to find due to a continuing ammo shortage (thanks hoarders!).  But for short range target shooting and plinking, it's a great choice. 

For any kind of defense, I'd probably wield a baseball bat before a .22, unless it looked scary enough to make someone run away.

Is actually being shot by a .22 round something that's easy to shrug off? Or is it more of a pop-cultural effect that people chose not to take it seriously?

I mean, if someone pointed a .22 at you, would you behave differently than if they pointed something of a heavier caliber at you?

It's a pop-cultural artifact.

.22s lack comparative "stopping power", which is only to be expected - just look at the size of the bullet and the cartridge compared to a larger calibre round. But the notion that anyone could just shrug it off (not saying derspiess is saying that, but some do) is just silly. Also dangerous, if anyone took it seriously and neglected gun safety with .22s because of that meme.

For myself, I would definitely choose the .22 over a baseball bat, if offered the choice, for defence against a home invader. Particularly if that .22 was a semi-auto. Plink plink plink.  ;) I don't think a crook would be much in the mood for a fight with three or more holes though him, which you could put in the time it took for him to cross a room.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I wouldn't shrug it off so much, no.  But then I'm not your typical home invader hopped up on crystal meth and adrenaline & with nothing to live for.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 02:37:46 PM
For myself, I would definitely choose the .22 over a baseball bat, if offered the choice, for defence against a home invader. Particularly if that .22 was a semi-auto. Plink plink plink.  ;) I don't think a crook would be much in the mood for a fight with three or more holes though him, which you could put in the time it took for him to cross a room.

A .22 pistol that holds a lot of rounds-- maybe.  But I can't think of one that fits the bill.  Your family bolt action .22 though-- fuhgettaboutit.

The Brain

derspiess

And FWIW I'm not a caliber snob or at all.  For me a 9mm pistol seems about ideal for home defense.

This dude has some good insight on home defense in general.  Part of it may insult Seedy, though.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/your-45-is-not-a-death-ray

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2014, 03:34:00 PM

I wouldn't shrug it off so much, no.  But then I'm not your typical home invader hopped up on crystal meth and adrenaline & with nothing to live for.
sounds like you need to move to better part of town.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2014, 03:58:27 PM
And FWIW I'm not a caliber snob or at all.  For me a 9mm pistol seems about ideal for home defense.

This dude has some good insight on home defense in general.  Part of it may insult Seedy, though.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/your-45-is-not-a-death-ray

With all due respect, websites like this all sound like they are written by people who expect unstoppable ninja attacks on themselves regularly.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Ninjas aren't unstoppable, but only a ninja can destroy a ninja [1].

[1]     Ninja III: The Domination

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 04:43:09 PM
With all due respect, websites like this all sound like they are written by people who expect unstoppable ninja attacks on themselves regularly.  :lol:

I bet they do.  But this one's a pretty well-respected guy.  I didn't just randomly pick an article.