American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 12:55:33 PM

"Foot" does not equal "leg".

The guy shot himself in the shin. I'm guessing he was a few inches taller than the kid in school. Not such a stretch, Mal.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 12:58:42 PM

The guy shot himself in the shin. I'm guessing he was a few inches taller than the kid in school. Not such a stretch, Mal.

Try thinking about how it could happen. You are sitting there with a rifle waiting for a raccoon. You fall down. How does the gun muzzle line up with your leg while your finger is on the trigger?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 01:03:35 PM

Try thinking about how it could happen. You are sitting there with a rifle waiting for a raccoon. You fall down. How does the gun muzzle line up with your leg while your finger is on the trigger?

Sitting down, legs stretched forward, and say you're leaning forward with the stock of the rifle tucked right up underneath your armpit.  Muzzle could easily be pointing at your shin.  Of course, it's a bad idea to hold the rifle that way, not to mention having your finger on the trigger, but that's how these things happen.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Other things than fingers can pull triggers too.

Guy sits, legs crossed, rifle across his lap. He sneezes, rifle falls off his lap butt first, trigger catches something as the barrel is pointed at his leg.

There are all kinds of plausible scenarios. I'm pretty sure guns have been known to go off just from the shock of hitting something too.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 01:07:12 PM

Sitting down, legs stretched forward, and say you're leaning forward with the stock of the rifle tucked right up underneath your armpit.  Muzzle could easily be pointing at your shin.  Of course, it's a bad idea to hold the rifle that way, not to mention having your finger on the trigger, but that's how these things happen.

Unless you are controrted into a yoga position, this will not work.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on August 27, 2013, 01:14:37 PM
Other things than fingers can pull triggers too.

Guy sits, legs crossed, rifle across his lap. He sneezes, rifle falls off his lap butt first, trigger catches something as the barrel is pointed at his leg.

There are all kinds of plausible scenarios. I'm pretty sure guns have been known to go off just from the shock of hitting something too.

If the rifle is lying across his lap, and falls butt-first, how does the barrel line up with his leg?

merithyn

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 01:22:44 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 01:19:45 PM

:huh:

Try it with a baseball bat or something else roughly rifle length and see. It is a most improbable position  for a man sitting in a chair, particularly for an 80 year old man.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 01:25:27 PM

Try it with a baseball bat or something else roughly rifle length and see. It is a most improbable position, particularly for an 80 year old man.

I just tried it with a meter stick. One end under my arm, the other pointing down. Boom, no problem.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 01:26:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 01:25:27 PM

Try it with a baseball bat or something else roughly rifle length and see. It is a most improbable position, particularly for an 80 year old man.

I just tried it with a meter stick. One end under my arm, the other pointing down. Boom, no problem.

... while you were holding it with your finger on the "trigger"? That's necessary for it to go "boom".

merithyn

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 01:50:16 PM
:mellow:

Yes.

All I can say is, your experience is different from mine.

:mellow:

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 01:22:16 PM
If the rifle is lying across his lap, and falls butt-first, how does the barrel line up with his leg?
Any of a number of ways. Shall I draw you a picture?

Ed Anger

To get this back on track, I'm looking at this:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

Either in .357 or .38+p
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Actually, I am trying to imagine how I wouldn't hit my leg... Its a fairly long target. :D