American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

This is the story his lawyer gives

QuoteVilos said Aposhian was in the neighborhood to talk to some friends and that he was driving around with a friend of his in his flag-draped truck to celebrate Memorial Day. Aposhian did use the driveway of the woman's house to turn around, but it was only because the truck was so big

Usually in lawyer school they teach you to say "no comment" when the alternative is giving a story this stupid.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2013, 05:50:25 PM

Where is this article from? Sounds flakey.  Looks like a "he said she said" at this point.

A quick Google search shows that FOX13 in Salt Lake is reporting it like this.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Where is this article from? Sounds flakey.  Looks like a "he said she said" at this point.

I think this is it.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/30/clark-aposhian-arrested_n_3360334.html?utm_hp_ref=politics  It's always a good idea to give the source.

The article does source it's statements.  Apparently he drives around an old Deuce and half truck with the words "CTWD Heights Neighborhood watch" and "Zombie Response Vehicle" stenciled on there.

Here is the local news story http://fox13now.com/2013/05/28/utah-gun-rights-advocate-clark-aposhian-arrested/ 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Domestic violence isn't a very serious crime, but it's a good idea to throw the book at gun nuts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2013, 07:38:11 PM

I think this is it.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/30/clark-aposhian-arrested_n_3360334.html?utm_hp_ref=politics  It's always a good idea to give the source.

The article does source it's statements.  Apparently he drives around an old Deuce and half truck with the words "CTWD Heights Neighborhood watch" and "Zombie Response Vehicle" stenciled on there.

Here is the local news story http://fox13now.com/2013/05/28/utah-gun-rights-advocate-clark-aposhian-arrested/

:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2013, 07:51:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2013, 07:38:11 PM

:lol:

Yeah.  FFS :bleeding:

HE'S NOT WITH US
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2013, 09:28:17 PM
Yeah.  FFS :bleeding:

HE'S NOT WITH US

Hell, he's your top talking head. He IS you. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2013, 10:40:33 PM
Not amused, dear  :glare:

They got to make it stick to that knucklehead. I bet money he pleads down on the DV or it's dropped.

It's just that the "Anti-Gun Nutters" get all lathered up over pretty much anything nowadays and are no closer to their agenda.  :lol:

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2013, 10:40:33 PM
Not amused, dear  :glare:

It's okay, precious. I'm amused enough for both of us. :lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Gun culture seems to attract a bunch of crazies.  There was incident in Missouri a few months ago where it was found one of the guys who was giving the concealed weapon permit courses required for the licenses was bat shit insane.  You need 8 hours of training but he was only giving them one, which revolved entirely about how the UN was coming to take over the country.  So now there's a bunch of people who have CCW permits that may not be valid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2013, 11:18:44 PM
Gun culture seems to attract a bunch of crazies. There was incident in Missouri a few months ago where it was found one of the guys who was giving the concealed weapon permit courses required for the licenses was bat shit insane.  You need 8 hours of training but he was only giving them one, which revolved entirely about how the UN was coming to take over the country.  So now there's a bunch of people who have CCW permits that may not be valid.

Captain Obvious.

derspiess

CountDeMoney

You should really lighten up on the letter writing parties with your pals, dergunnut.

QuoteWASHINGTON — President Obama was sent a threatening letter that was intercepted this week and similar to the ricin-tainted letters mailed to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his gun-control group, the Secret Service said Thursday.

The Secret Service "can confirm that the White House mail screening facility intercepted a letter addressed to the White House ... similar to letters previously addressed to Mayor Bloomberg in New York. This letter has been turned over to the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force for testing and investigation," the agency said.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said all presidential mail is examined at the off-site facility.

"We have precautions in place for these kinds of things," Earnest said.

The letter to Obama was discovered Wednesday. Federal officials close to the investigation said there had been a heightened sense of alert because of the Bloomberg letters. They said the Obama letter appeared to have the same postmark and handwriting as the ones sent to Bloomberg and Mayors Against Illegal Guns, based in Washington.

The Obama letter was not opened before it was shipped out for testing, the officials said.

Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y., said in a CNN interview that law enforcement officials had told him all three letters "are virtually identical," cautioning that the investigation was still in its early stages.

The other letters, postmarked May 20 in Shreveport, La., were opened in New York on Friday at the city's mail facility in Manhattan and in Washington on Sunday at an office of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the same machine or computer had produced the two letters to Bloomberg and the similar one to Obama and that they may be identical.

Meanwhile, the FBI announced Thursday another letter with the poison ricin had been mailed to Obama from Spokane, Wash., and was intercepted May 22. Authorities have arrested a man in Spokane in connection with that letter.

CNN, citing a source with knowledge of the letters to Bloomberg and his gun-control group, said those letters include this:

"You will have to kill me and my family before you get my guns. Anyone wants to come to my house will get shot in the face. The right to bear arms is my constitutional God-given right and I will exercise that right till the day I die."

Bloomberg said the letters "referred to our anti-gun efforts, but there's 12,000 people that are going to get killed this year with guns and 19,000 that are going to commit suicide with guns, and we're not going to walk away from those efforts."

Bloomberg said he didn't "feel threatened."

New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne would not confirm the language in the letters, but he said the "subject matter was gun-owner rights and they contained the same threatening language."

The letters addressed to Bloomberg and Mark Glaze, director of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, both tested positive for ricin, Browne said. More testing was scheduled.

Three New York officers involved in the case experienced mild diarrhea Saturday, a minor symptom of ricin exposure, Browne said. In Washington, Glaze showed no symptoms after opening that letter, the group said.

Bloomberg ranks among the nation's most outspoken gun-control advocates. Mayors Against Illegal Guns was co-founded in 2006 by Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, who serve as its co-chairs. It claims a membership of more than 850 mayors in 44 states.

Shreveport (La.) Mayor Cedric Glover said Shreveport police are working with the FBI and Joint Terrorism Task Force to determine who sent the letters and where the ricin came from.

"We are also taking the necessary steps to protect United States Postal Service ... as well as any of our citizens from any potential harm,'' Glover said.

Ricin naturally occurs in castor beans and can be fatal if inhaled or ingested. Ricin-tainted threats have been sent recently to Obama, lawmakers and judges.

Last week, a Washington state man was accused of including ricin in a death threat mailed to a federal judge. Matthew Buquet, 38, of Spokane, was being held without bond.

In late April, a Mississippi man was arrested on charges of mailing poisoned letters to Obama, Republican Sen. Roger Wicker and an 80-year-old judge in Tupelo, Miss. The FBI said Everett Dutschke, 41, bought castor bean seeds online late last year. Agents found traces of ricin on several objects retrieved from trash at his Tupelo home and near his martial-arts studio.