American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2013, 04:09:21 PM
All of which is perfectly legal, and I don't even think should really be illegal - at least insofar as I can't really imagine a meaningful way of posig a law to restrict it.

Its only "legal" in your country because of the way in which Americans break out in a rash when it comes to regulating the sale of guns. 

But being technically legal isnt the end of the analysis.  Assuming as we must that reasonable regulations will never be made in the US, there is also the law of negligence which comes into play for manfucturers like this.  For example, why is it that a gun which is specifically designed to be used by a child doesnt have built into it the kind of trigger lock our resident gun nut was talking about? 

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 04:51:15 PM
I disagree.  Plenty of those kids look older than 8.

It's the fact that many of them look less that 8 that concerns me. I assume the actual infants pictured aren't really shooting the things! :hmm: But that still leaves many obviously very young children pictured.

But it is obvious that a large number of customers are buying these things for the under-8 crowd and the company is encouraging that. 

QuoteI saw that, and I think that's too young.  But it's up to the parent IMO as long as they properly store the rifle and supervise its use.

There is no amount of supervision that makes a 5 year old with a firearm safe, other than not handing it to him or her in the first place.

QuoteI guess that would be about 8 years old.  Heaven forbid they start teaching kids gun safety at that age!!

Point is that kids in grade 2 ought not to be using guns at all. Wait until they are actually reliably capable of mature behaviour, why not?

It isn't like you have to indoctrinate kids from birth with gun safety, like some sort of religion.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Taken from their FAQ

QuoteQ. What is the purpose of the internal safety lock?
A. It's function is to stop the bolt from closing. Therefore impossible to shoot the rifle, when the lock is engaged. Note: Keys are required to unlock the rifle.

If that 22LR had an internal safety lock and it was not engaged, burn the parents.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 05:03:10 PM
Taken from their FAQ

A. It's function is to stop the bolt from closing. Therefore impossible to shoot the rifle, when the lock is engaged. Note: Keys are required to unlock the rifle.

If that 22LR had an internal safety lock and it was not engaged, burn the parents.

Yeah, lets not blame the peole that profit from selling guns for children.  That would be or so unAmerican and smart.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 05:05:19 PM
Taken from their FAQ

Yeah, lets not blame the peole that profit from selling guns for children.  That would be or so unAmerican and smart.

Exactly. Thanks for coming around to our view. :cheers: Glad too see your off your Nanny state kick.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Start viewing at 1:50.  :mad:

Crickett .22lr Single-shot Bolt-action Rifle Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgqOEkuyMj0

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 05:08:48 PM
Taken from their FAQ

Exactly. Thanks for coming around to our view. :cheers: Glad too see your off your Nanny state kick.

I am so happy there is a guarded border between us.

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on May 01, 2013, 04:59:55 PM

It's the fact that many of them look less that 8 that concerns me. I assume the actual infants pictured aren't really shooting the things! :hmm: But that still leaves many obviously very young children pictured.

But it is obvious that a large number of customers are buying these things for the under-8 crowd and the company is encouraging that. 

QuoteI saw that, and I think that's too young.  But it's up to the parent IMO as long as they properly store the rifle and supervise its use.

There is no amount of supervision that makes a 5 year old with a firearm safe, other than not handing it to him or her in the first place.

QuoteI guess that would be about 8 years old.  Heaven forbid they start teaching kids gun safety at that age!!

Point is that kids in grade 2 ought not to be using guns at all. Wait until they are actually reliably capable of mature behaviour, why not?

It isn't like you have to indoctrinate kids from birth with gun safety, like some sort of religion.

I cant disagree with anything you've said. Sound and reasonable.

CC take note. You could learn something from Malthus.

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 05:14:01 PM

Yeah he knows how to communicate better with the great unwashed.  I will leave him to it.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 05:14:01 PM

Yeah he knows how to communicate better with the great unwashed.  I will leave him to it.

As well you should.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 05:12:02 PM

You say that not realizing that our guards -- within rifle range of your side -- include entire cadres of 5 year old volunteers armed with their bright pink .22s.   :ph34r:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Taken from their FAQ

Would you feel better if it had been a gun made for adults?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2013, 06:07:11 PM

You say that not realizing that our guards -- within rifle range of your side -- include entire cadres of 5 year old volunteers armed with their bright pink .22s.   :ph34r:

:lol:

Good point.  I will have to remember to stay outside of rifle range of the border.

derspiess

I'm so happy you turn into a blubbering vagina every time the subject of guns comes up.  Pretty amusing :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 06:08:25 PM
Would you feel better if it had been a gun made for adults?

I would feel better if companies didnt make guns for children.  That would probably reduce the chances that parents would purchase them for children.