American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Having trouble finding a non-biased source, but it sounds like Obama may be gearing up to do what I thought he might do in the first place: ban importation of surplus ammunition, magazines, and gun parts via executive order.  Supposedly it could even extend to new production ammo made for the civilian market that happens to be in a "military" caliber.

I suspect he had it in his back pocket for when the House rejected the Senate gun control measures.  But since said measures didn't even make it out of the Senate, he's playing the card now.

Maybe it's a good time to sell my 5.45x39mm AR upper, cuz there is absolutely no domestic production of it and my reason for buying it was that it could shoot that cheap Russian surplus stuff :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on April 17, 2013, 06:33:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2013, 06:24:46 PM
Man, Barack is pretty pissed.
Fuck him.
He needs to work on other shit (way more important) instead of this. Fuck him, opportunist. He thought it would be easy. Get back on track with the economy and all these folks outta work. Quit passing out your kool-aid, Mr. President.
I don't know, trying to reduce the five digit yearly body count seems like a pretty important issue.  I know some of you don't really mind all those dead people as long as you get to play with your toys, but other points of view on this subject are valid as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2013, 12:24:26 PM
Fuck him.
He needs to work on other shit (way more important) instead of this. Fuck him, opportunist. He thought it would be easy. Get back on track with the economy and all these folks outta work. Quit passing out your kool-aid, Mr. President.
I don't know, trying to reduce the five digit yearly body count seems like a pretty important issue.  I know some of you don't really mind all those dead people as long as you get to play with your toys, but other points of view on this subject are valid as well.

:rolleyes:

Didnt you get the NRA memo?  Guns dont kill people.

derspiess

Fuck him.

This measure wasn't really meant to reduce gun fatalities.  It was meant to make the House GOP look bad for not passing it, which would supposedly allow the Dems to retake the House in 2014 by targeting purple state GOP congressmen.  I have a feeling the *real* reason the President was so pissed was that the plan blew up in his face when the measure did not even get out of the Senate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

In a bout of insanity, I watched Guntucky on CMT. Dear lord, what a turd.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2013, 12:41:09 PM
Fuck him.

This measure wasn't really meant to reduce gun fatalities.  It was meant to make the House GOP look bad for not passing it, which would supposedly allow the Dems to retake the House in 2014 by targeting purple state GOP congressmen.  I have a feeling the *real* reason the President was so pissed was that the plan blew up in his face when the measure did not even get out of the Senate.

Or you know, he believes they should that guns should be regulated.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Or both. But I seriously doubt he expected it to pass the House.

MadBurgerMaker

My mom got a gun today.  A little Sig P250 in 9mm.   She casually mentioned at lunch this afternoon that she had heard someone walking around the side of her house/in her backyard/on her deck last night, so I insisted.

Ammo doesn't seem to exist anywhere except on the internet anymore though.  I gave her 10 rounds of my +P JHP that I could spare, but I need to go looking around on that gunbot website Spiess linked to up above.  I'm super low on 9mm myself.   

E:  Ammo problem solved.  That's a pretty cool little site.

The Brain

Many hobos go down after fewer than 10 rounds.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 27, 2013, 11:16:22 PM
My mom got a gun today.  A little Sig P250 in 9mm.   She casually mentioned at lunch this afternoon that she had heard someone walking around the side of her house/in her backyard/on her deck last night, so I insisted.

Ammo doesn't seem to exist anywhere except on the internet anymore though.  I gave her 10 rounds of my +P JHP that I could spare, but I need to go looking around on that gunbot website Spiess linked to up above.  I'm super low on 9mm myself.   

E:  Ammo problem solved.  That's a pretty cool little site.

You insisted she get a gun because she might have heard someone in her backyard?  Would she ever actually use it to shoot someone?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on April 28, 2013, 11:51:29 AM
You insisted she get a gun because she might have heard someone in her backyard?  Would she ever actually use it to shoot someone?

It wasn't "might have."  There was someone in her backyard, which consists of her deck and some rocks.  She heard them walk up the side of her house to get there and heard them on the deck.

And yeah I would hope she would use it to shoot someone if they came into her house, although unfortunately I don't think she would get a chance if someone came in through the back there, since it's so close to her bed, etc.  But if she can, that's what it's for.  She's a 65 year old woman who lives by herself.  Should I have taught her kung-fu instead?  Maybe picked her up some Hanzo steel and trained her during a 15 minute montage?

Anyway, she didn't want a shotgun.  E: There was a nice Mossberg 500 at one of the places we were looking, but she wanted the handgun instead for various reasons.

derspiess

Cool. Get her trained up once you have enough ammo to do so.

Firearms availability & price are getting noticeably better, but ammo availability is still shitty and will be that way for at least. few more months. Gunbot helps, but you gotta be fast.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2013, 07:54:05 PM
In a bout of insanity, I watched Guntucky on CMT. Dear lord, what a turd.
I watched Call of the Wildman this weekend.  That's a good show y'all.  Turtleman lives maybe 30 minutes south of me. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Caliga

The episode I saw featured Turtleman clearing two rat snakes out of an old lady's house in Stanford, KY.  Princesca's grandma is from Stanford and it's such a small town that I wish I had caught the old lady's name, because her grandma probably knows her.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points