American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2013, 05:32:22 PM
A hunting rifle would be a lot more useful you know...

In terms of being more useful to take down a deer, sure.  But I would actually get less use out of it than my SKS, given that I go to the range to shoot targets a lot more often than I can get out to hunt.  That's on top of the fact that I can easily borrow my dad's rifle (which I sort of consider mine) or one of my uncle's in a pinch.

Having said all that, I've never owned a hunting rifle and it would be neat to have one, especially given that I can essentially trade the SKS for one and maybe even have money left over.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 21, 2013, 05:33:39 PM
I'll keep my SKS-M. Thanks.

Now that's a fun little rifle to shoot.  As much as I like the aesthetics of the M59/66 (and mine is pristine-- pretty much unissued condition), the grenade launcher on the front makes it way too nose-heavy.  I'd like to trade it for a decent Russian SKS but I'm worried about getting screwed in the trade.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on January 21, 2013, 05:41:36 PM

In terms of being more useful to take down a deer, sure.  But I would actually get less use out of it than my SKS, given that I go to the range to shoot targets a lot more often than I can get out to hunt.  That's on top of the fact that I can easily borrow my dad's rifle (which I sort of consider mine) or one of my uncle's in a pinch.

Having said all that, I've never owned a hunting rifle and it would be neat to have one, especially given that I can essentially trade the SKS for one and maybe even have money left over.

There are more things to hunt than deer.

Oh wait - Ohio.  I guess that's probably all you have. :console:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on January 21, 2013, 05:25:54 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 21, 2013, 05:20:32 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 21, 2013, 04:58:42 PM
Holy sheep shit.  I knew there was a huge run on anything AR-related, but I had no idea it spread to other types of firearms.  I can get almost twice as much out of my Yugo M59/66 SKS, but nothing I want to buy is in stock anywhere, and the prices I'm seeing are outrageous.  Smart move would be to sell and wait, I suppose. 

I'm also selling some miscellaneous AR parts on auction and am getting about 3 times what I would have expected to get a couple months ago.  Glad I procrastinated on that.

True, anything assault rifle, semi-auto battle rifle in 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x51, 7.62x39. To include parts, bullets, cases. Mother fuckers be flipping out. Regular rifle stuff hasnt been effected. Just slows down the order arrival time.

Hmm, maybe I'll sell the SKS and get a hunting rifle :hmm:

If you like punching paper. Get a bolt action .223 (5.56). If you also reload a 22-250 instead.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2013, 05:47:49 PM

There are more things to hunt than deer.

Oh wait - Ohio.  I guess that's probably all you have. :console:

I think it was Ohio that had lions, tigers and great apes recently.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Look at the Varmit Rifle...lol

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on January 21, 2013, 06:04:34 PM

Look at the Varmit Rifle...lol

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx

I might actually get their cheaper 770.  Not sure if it comes in .223 but I know they come in .308.

Another option is saving my pennies and getting a nice M1 Garand from the CMP: http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

Would be a perfect 40th berfday present for myself :)

derspiess

And it keeps getting better.  Found out that those crappy "poor man's PMAG" 20-round Thermold mags I got last spring for $3.50 a pop are selling for like $15 or more apiece.  Ka-ching-- more money for the M1 Garand fund.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on January 22, 2013, 04:56:20 PM
And it keeps getting better.  Found out that those crappy "poor man's PMAG" 20-round Thermold mags I got last spring for $3.50 a pop are selling for like $15 or more apiece.  Ka-ching-- more money for the M1 Garand fund.

I have to admit that a part of me would like to own a Lee-Enfield one day.  :blush:

But then again it is also perfectly valid as a hunting rifle too.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2013, 05:23:34 PM
I have to admit that a part of me would like to own a Lee-Enfield one day.  :blush:

Thing weighs about 80 pounds doesn't it?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2013, 05:28:10 PM

I held one once, wasn't 80lbs.

I don't really know enough about guns to compare it to anything though.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2013, 05:28:10 PM

Not too bad, really.  I had an SMLE Mk III and it wasn't any heavier than other rifles of its time.  Wish I hadn't sold it-- that Lee-Enfield action was as smooth as butter and cycled very fast.  Makes it understandable why the Brits were able to do without a semi-auto rifle for so long.

Now compared to today's super-light hunting rifles with their synthetic stocks it might feel a bit heavy.