American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 08:26:40 PM
Well first of all double-check the state laws.  I found out only recently that you can't hunt deer in Ohio with a rifle-- only shotgun/slug :rolleyes:

Illinois law states:

QuoteLegal Firearms

• Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not larger than 10 gauge nor smaller than 20 gauge, not capable of firing more than 3 consecutive slugs; or
  • Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length; or
  • Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.

Handguns? Really? Wow....

Anyway, I want to go with a shot gun. Seems most commonly allowed, so no matter where we go, it should be okay.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2012, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 08:14:27 PM
So, question: What should a relatively capable - but small - woman get if she - hypothetically - wanted to go hunting? For deer? (Midwest white-tail deer.)

:)

Well first of all double-check the state laws.  I found out only recently that you can't hunt deer in Ohio with a rifle-- only shotgun/slug :rolleyes:

Thankfully I have access to my uncle's 'preserve' in WV where there are no such restrictions.  Just pay the $100 fee to go toward the corn they feed the deer and stay away from whatever specific deer they tell you is off-limits.  They even have tree-stands that have over time evolved into fully enclosed boxes we call "condos" :cool:

Bummer. You should move out of that shit hole state.

Thing is I never really thought about hunting here.

Prob a lot of good hunting. Check it out.

Anyway the 30-06 will handle anything in the lower 48. Largest variety of commerical ammo loadings. Cant go wrong with it, however.

I bring my sportorized '03 Springfield hunting as a back up rifle if the main breaks. It stays in the case, but it will always goes.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

My aunt hunts in Southern Ohio with one of those Davy Crockett-style old fashioned muzzleloaders.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 08:52:47 PM

Illinois law states:

QuoteLegal Firearms

• Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not larger than 10 gauge nor smaller than 20 gauge, not capable of firing more than 3 consecutive slugs; or
  • Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length; or
  • Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.

Handguns? Really? Wow....

Anyway, I want to go with a shot gun. Seems most commonly allowed, so no matter where we go, it should be okay.

Screw that, I want to see you lugging around an old school muzzleloader :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2012, 08:57:29 PM
Anyway the 30-06 will handle anything in the lower 48. Largest variety of commerical ammo loadings. Cant go wrong with it, however.

I bring my sportorized '03 Springfield hunting as a back up rifle if the main breaks. It stays in the case, but it will always goes.

I want to get scout scope mounts for my K98 and Finn M39.  Both are pretty accurate and I have some decent hunting ammo in both 8mm and 7.62x54R.  Be fun to take a deer with either one just for the hell of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Hell yeah, get a .454. Freedom Arms deer hunting revolver.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2012, 08:57:29 PM

I want to get scout scope mounts for my K98 and Finn M39.  Both are pretty accurate and I have some decent hunting ammo in both 8mm and 7.62x54R.  Be fun to take a deer with either one just for the hell of it.

This summer I picked up a Remington Mod 700 classic in 8x57.  Got test reloads loaded w/ 200 grain, 185 grain, and 150 grain still sitting on the fucking bench. Work got in the way so I couldnt get a grouping and chrony reading. Maybe in the next couple of months.

My main deer rifle is the CZ 550 7x64 Brenneke. The Krauts around here should know that one.

derspiess

CZ makes some damned purty looking rifles.  In a shit-ton of different calibers, no less.  I always wanted one of them in 7.62x39 just for the hell of it.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 09:12:47 PM
CZ makes some damned purty looking rifles.  In a shit-ton of different calibers, no less.  I always wanted one of them in 7.62x39 just for the hell of it.

They do. Both the CZ's come with a single set trigger. The other one I got this year was a CZ 550 in 6.5 Swede. Cabelas dude is where it's at. The Remington came from Utah store and the CZ came from Minnisota store.

Call up the store with the firarm your looking at. They will ship to the Cabelas nearest to you for 25.00. Go look at it. If you dont buy it your out just 25.00. Their gun guys are very good at judging condition. They were balls on with both the Rem and CZ.

merithyn

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 08:59:01 PM

I thought about it, but I don't like how long they take to reload. If I don't hit the deer right, I want to easily get a second shot off. I really don't like the idea of hurting a deer but not killing it.

That's also my issue with bow hunting. I'm just not strong enough to pull a 40# bow, and you really can't go hunting with less than that.

merithyn

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 09:23:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 08:59:01 PM

I thought about it, but I don't like how long they take to reload. If I don't hit the deer right, I want to easily get a second shot off. I really don't like the idea of hurting a deer but not killing it.

That's also my issue with bow hunting. I'm just not strong enough to pull a 40# bow, and you really can't go hunting with less than that.

QuoteDeer Hunting in IL.
Legal Firearms
Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not larger than 10 gauge nor smaller than 20 gauge, not capable of firing more than 3 consecutive slugs; or
Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length; or
Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.

Legal Ammunition
For shotguns and muzzleloading firearms, the minimum size of the projectile shall be .44 caliber.  A wad or sleeve is not considered a projectile or a part of the projectile.
For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.  Note: There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges.
Non-expanding military style full metal jacket bullets cannot be used to harvest white-tailed deer; only soft point or expanding bullets (including copper / copper-alloy rounds designed for hunting) are legal ammunition.

Look towards these as an example.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/706421.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://richsgunshop.com/catalog/zencart/images/large/rem_25090.jpg&imgrefurl=http://richsgunshop.com/catalog/zencart/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dproduct_info%26products_id%3D532&usg=__GEVx2904larp9fwUCI7WWeF-2Nc=&h=237&w=1000&sz=73&hl=en&start=5&zoom=1&tbnid=lz9OjXe178RAwM:&tbnh=35&tbnw=149&ei=M225UIOvFui0igLZnoHYBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dscoped%2B12%2Bga%2Bdeer%2BGUN%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1