American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 01:34:23 PM
Yeah. 
After firing the first shot and immediately negating the threat resulting with the suspects fleeing, continuing to shoot them in the back, particularly with a civilian within the 90 degree cone of engagement. 
That's a tough guy, alright.

Good thing it happened in Florida. 

I say they were still a threat, unless the one guy dropped his gun & I didn't see it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2012, 01:37:49 PM
I say they were still a threat, unless the one guy dropped his gun & I didn't see it.

:lol:  They were tripping over each other faster that they could say, "Feets doan fail me now! Loady Loady Loady!"

I'd say the threat was substantially and immediately mitigated.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 01:39:57 PM

:lol:  They were tripping over each other faster that they could say, "Feets doan fail me now! Loady Loady Loady!"

Yes, and that was funny as balls.  Hopefully Pookie and Davonte's friends back on the block are giving them shit for running like startled little bunny rabbits.

QuoteI'd say the threat was substantially and immediately mitigated.

You're the tough-as-nails ex-cop so you're obviously more qualified than me on making that call, but IMO as long as that fucker is armed he's a threat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2012, 01:54:49 PM
You're the tough-as-nails ex-cop so you're obviously more qualified than me on making that call, but as long as that fucker is armed he's a threat.

Bah, I'm looking at it strictly from a civilian intercede perspective.
As a civilian shooter, that situation--from when he took his first shot--is rife with liability past the first shot. 

If I were in that particular situation as a civilian, I would not have taken the first shot when he did;  while he had a somewhat favorable position on Suspect #1, he had Suspect #2 off camera, and apparently to his far right, with civilians in between.  Not a very clean scenario at that point in dealing with multiple targets.  Hell, that woman damned near walked into the line of fire.  Shame there's not another camera angle from inside the cafe to see the 2nd suspect's position, but I doubt it was a clean angle until he hauled ass--but you don't know if he'll do that until he does.

He moves up and follows their egress, but to continue shooting at that point? Meh. You don't know who's between you, them and the door.  It'd be a real bitch if you ventilated a 12 year old because you're firing on the move against fleeing targets with a corner inbetween.

Once they turned, hauling ass and did the jump-ball thing, for a civilian shooter, it's over.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 02:09:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2012, 01:54:49 PM
You're the tough-as-nails ex-cop so you're obviously more qualified than me on making that call, but as long as that fucker is armed he's a threat.

Bah, I'm looking at it strictly from a civilian intercede perspective.
As a civilian shooter, that situation--from when he took his first shot--is rife with liability past the first shot. 

If I were in that particular situation as a civilian, I would not have taken the first shot when he did;  while he had a somewhat favorable position on Suspect #1, he had Suspect #2 off camera, and apparently to his far right, with civilians in between.  Not a very clean scenario at that point in dealing with multiple targets.  Hell, that woman damned near walked into the line of fire.  Shame there's not another camera angle from inside the cafe to see the 2nd suspect's position, but I doubt it was a clean angle until he hauled ass--but you don't know if he'll do that until he does.

He moves up and follows their egress, but to continue shooting at that point? Meh. You don't know who's between you, them and the door.  It'd be a real bitch if you ventilated a 12 year old because you're firing on the move against fleeing targets with a corner inbetween.

Once they turned, hauling ass and did the jump-ball thing, for a civilian shooter, it's over.

If #1 had dropped his gun, I'd agree with you.  Btw, is it me or were the bystanders acting like total morons.  If you're not part of the fight, get behind some fucking cover and plant your ass there.

HVC

did he actually hit anyone? guy was like 5 feet away. someone needs to visit the range
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 01:39:57 PM

I'd say the threat was substantially and immediately mitigated.

I liked the shot outside, through the closing door.  :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2012, 02:44:03 PM
did he actually hit anyone? guy was like 5 feet away. someone needs to visit the range

Apparently he wounded both suspects.  He used what looks like a sub-compact pistol & I wouldn't be surprised if it were a .380, which is a fairly puny round but I guess it's good enough to at least chase the bad guys away.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

derspiess

These have apparently been in the works for a while, but I just found out about them yesterday:

StG-44 in .22LR

If I had $500 to blow on a .22, I'd be all over it.  I'd like one in the original 7.92x33, even if it did cost me $.70 per round to shoot it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2012, 02:48:39 PM

Apparently he wounded both suspects.  He used what looks like a sub-compact pistol & I wouldn't be surprised if it were a .380, which is a fairly puny round but I guess it's good enough to at least chase the bad guys away.

Here's a news story on it...

QuoteAuthorities in central Florida say two men were trying to rob an Internet cafe when a 71-year-old patron began shooting his own gun, wounding the suspects.
Surveillance video shows two masked men entering the Palms Internet Cafe around 10 p.m. Friday. The Ocala Star-Banner reports one pointed a gun at customers while the other swung a baseball bat.
The video shows patron Samuel Williams pulling a handgun and shooting. He continues firing while the suspects fall over each other as they run out the door.
Nineteen-year-olds Duwayne Henderson and Davis Dawkins were later arrested and face attempted armed robbery with a firearm and criminal mischief charges. They were transported to Shands at the University of Florida in Gainesville.
Dawkins had a superficial wound in his left arm, but Henderson was shot in two places: his left buttock and his right hip.
Both posted bail and were released.
Williams has a concealed weapons permit. Bill Gladson of the Marion County State Attorney's Office says the shooting appears justified.
Neither of the men have a criminal record, authorities said
Both men were arrested for attempted robbery with a firearm.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 18, 2012, 04:10:52 PM

QuoteAuthorities in central Florida say two men were trying to rob an Internet cafe when a 71-year-old patron began shooting his own gun, wounding the suspects.
Surveillance video shows two masked men entering the Palms Internet Cafe around 10 p.m. Friday. The Ocala Star-Banner reports one pointed a gun at customers while the other swung a baseball bat.
The video shows patron Samuel Williams pulling a handgun and shooting. He continues firing while the suspects fall over each other as they run out the door.
Nineteen-year-olds Duwayne Henderson and Davis Dawkins were later arrested and face attempted armed robbery with a firearm and criminal mischief charges. They were transported to Shands at the University of Florida in Gainesville.
Dawkins had a superficial wound in his left arm, but Henderson was shot in two places: his left buttock and his right hip.
Williams has a concealed weapons permit. Bill Gladson of the Marion County State Attorney's Office says the shooting appears justified.

I imagine being arrested after being shot in the ass by a 71 year old man isn't a great way to build criminal credibility in prision.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Another video with more from the different angles.  It looks like batman wasn't too far out off from a fairly constrained entryway the entire time.

HVC

WTF? Attempted armed robbers get to post bail and get released?

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 18, 2012, 04:10:52 PM

Depending on what they were doing that might have been threatening the guy is in no way justified in opening fire.  It's not his home (or even his business).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.