News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 08:14:27 PM
So, question: What should a relatively capable - but small - woman get if she - hypothetically - wanted to go hunting? For deer? (Midwest white-tail deer.)

:)

easy.

Remington or Winchester bolt  action rifle, w/ 22" barrel

Caliber: .243 Winchester
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

So, question: What should a relatively capable - but small - woman get if she - hypothetically - wanted to go hunting? For deer? (Midwest white-tail deer.)

Well first of all double-check the state laws.  I found out only recently that you can't hunt deer in Ohio with a rifle-- only shotgun/slug :rolleyes:

Thankfully I have access to my uncle's 'preserve' in WV where there are no such restrictions.  Just pay the $100 fee to go toward the corn they feed the deer and stay away from whatever specific deer they tell you is off-limits.  They even have tree-stands that have over time evolved into fully enclosed boxes we call "condos" :cool:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 30, 2012, 08:08:50 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 30, 2012, 08:07:22 PM
Imma choke your ass out. :menace:

:lol:

You could try.

Wanna put Katmai to sleep, don't need to choke him, just give him an open face turkey melt.  Lights the fuck out.   I know it works for me.

alfred russel

Somewhere out there today, there is a midwest white tailed deer that in the woods, doing deer things, trying to stay warm in the autumn night, happily going about its existence...not knowing that it is going to be shot next year and bleed to death by "a relatively capable--but small--woman."  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2012, 08:26:36 PM

easy.

My uncle swears by .270 Winchester.  I say .30-06 is hard to beat but if I every actually buy a deer rifle of my own it'll probably be a .308.  I remember back in the day my dad used a crappy .30-30 lever action rifle :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 08:26:40 PM

Well first of all double-check the state laws.  I found out only recently that you can't hunt deer in Ohio with a rifle-- only shotgun/slug :rolleyes:

Thankfully I have access to my uncle's 'preserve' in WV where there are no such restrictions.  Just pay the $100 fee to go toward the corn they feed the deer and stay away from whatever specific deer they tell you is off-limits.  They even have tree-stands that have over time evolved into fully enclosed boxes we call "condos" :cool:

Bummer. You should move out of that shit hole state.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2012, 08:27:27 PM
Somewhere out there today, there is a midwest white tailed deer that in the woods, doing deer things, trying to stay warm in the autumn night, happily going about its existence...not knowing that it is going to be shot next year and bleed to death by "a relatively capable--but small--woman."  :(

And eaten by said woman... you forgot that part. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

I'd hunt. But only from my RV. Getting muddy? Fuck that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2012, 08:31:30 PM

But if you must a good slug gun will work.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2012, 08:31:30 PM

Thing is I never really thought about hunting here. 

merithyn

easy.

Thank you. :) I'll look into that.. erm.. for her.. :whistle:

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 08:30:44 PMMy uncle swears by .270 Winchester.  I say .30-06 is hard to beat but if I every actually buy a deer rifle of my own it'll probably be a .308.  I remember back in the day my dad used a crappy .30-30 lever action rifle :D

That sounds like a bit more gun than I could handle at the moment. I think I'll stick to the lower gauge.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 08:30:44 PM
I remember back in the day my dad used a crappy .30-30 lever action rifle :D

How many times did he clunk you with it, trying the John Wayne Stagecoach trick?   :P

11B4V

easy.

My uncle swears by .270 Winchester.  I say .30-06 is hard to beat but if I every actually buy a deer rifle of my own it'll probably be a .308.  I remember back in the day my dad used a crappy .30-30 lever action rifle :D

Depends on the  female for a .308, 30-06, or .270. The .270 would be the best of those in a 22" tube. Hell my time in the Alabama and Georgia, I used nothing but the 6.5x55 in a '96 swede mauser I sportorized. Excellent whitetail caliber. 

A small stature woman a .243, 25-06, or modern bolt action 7x57. The latter two if she wanted to be different.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2012, 08:43:33 PM
I remember back in the day my dad used a crappy .30-30 lever action rifle :D

How many times did he clunk you with it, trying the John Wayne Stagecoach trick?   :P

30-30 will work close in.