News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The customer is always right in China

Started by Josquius, October 27, 2011, 01:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

QuoteSometimes when you buy a pair of shoes, one of them can feel snug while the other one does not quite fit.
Tom Boddingham certainly knows the feeling.
When the 27-year-old ordered a special monster-design slipper to fit his oversized left foot, he was sent this size 1,450 one – because manufacturers failed to spot a decimal point.

He had requested a 14.5, as well as a smaller size 13 for his right foot. The pair cost £15.50.

However, manufacturers in China misread the measurement and accidentally made the whopping seven foot-long slipper, which was shipped to him along with the correct smaller size.
Now 6ft 7in Mr Boddingham, who wears custom-made shoes because of the different sizes of his feet, will sell it on eBay.

Mistake: Tom ordered his custom-made slipper from the Monster Slippers website
'It was sent directly from Hong Kong and measures 210 x 130 x 65cm – the same length as a grizzly bear or a family car,' said Mr Boddingham, from Ilford, Essex. 'I must be the owner of the biggest slipper in the world.
'I'm going to sell it online, and if I can make a few quid out of it then all the better.'
Online slipper company Monster Slippers – which is based in Dunmow, Essex, and has the motto 'for the animal in you' – apologised to  Mr Boddingham and has not charged him any extra. A spokesman explained the mistake occurred because of a 'translation error'.
'We are making him a replacement slipper of the right dimensions,' he added.

Apparently workers in the slipper factory assumed his giant order was for a shop window display.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051081/Tom-Boddingham-slipper-Decimal-point-error-sees-size-size-1-450-order-China.html

:lol:

No clue on the truth of this, it seems quite unbelievable- they would charge 15 quid for something so huge? Why, you could dismantle it for parts.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

My fursona doesn't have a giant left foot. Not buying it from him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I suspect the billing and the production/shipping were handled by different people.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

http://www.geekosystem.com/tag/tom-boddingham/

QuoteWhat was at one time a straight-forward, if strange, story of a communications mix-up that resulted in an enormous slipper has suddenly taken a turn into the mysterious. As we, along with several national news outlets reported, a man by the name of Tom Boddingham claimed that he'd ordered a size 14.5 slipper and received a size 1,450 by mistake.

However, a post by the UK Guardian's Polly Curtis casts some doubt on this story. In her research, Curtis found a tweet from @william_summers that highlighted how the Boddingham looked exactly like Monster Slipper web manager Joe Jennings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Jaha, a cunning advertising ploy.
Well.
Not so cunning. Just stupid press :lol:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Is Dailymail part of "the press" though? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

I think everyone knew it was a stunt right from the start, but it was an amusing stunt so the story ran.