Translation algorithms used to crack centuries-old code

Started by jimmy olsen, October 26, 2011, 10:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Cool, I really hope this can be used to crack some of the more famous historical codes that remain unbroken.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-10/25/code-cracking-with-algorithms
QuoteTranslation algorithms used to crack centuries-old code
By Mark Brown
25 October 11

Computer scientists from Sweden and the United States have applied modern-day, statistical translation techniques -- the sort of which that are used in Google Translate -- to decode a 250-year old secret message.

The original document, nicknamed the Copiale Cipher, was written in the late 18th century and found in the East Berlin Academy after the Cold War. It's since been kept in a private collection, and the 105-page, slightly yellowed tome has withheld its secrets ever since.

But this year, University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering computer scientist Kevin Knight -- an expert in translation, not so much in cryptography -- and colleagues Beáta Megyesi and Christiane Schaefer of Uppsala University in Sweden, tracked down the document, transcribed a machine-readable version and set to work cracking the centuries-old code.

The book's pages -- bound in gold and green brocade paper -- contained about 75,000 characters in very neat handwriting. Outside of two words -- an owner's mark ("Philipp 1866") and a note in the end of the last page ("Copiales 3") -- the rest was encoded.

Some of the letters were obviously Roman and others were plainly Greek, while the rest were abstract symbols and doodles.

At first, Knight and his team isolated the Roman and Greek characters, figuring that they might be the real message, and attacked it with a home-made translation project. 80 different languages, and many hours later, and nothing happened. "It took quite a long time and resulted in complete failure," says Knight.

The team realised that the known characters were just there to mislead. So they booted them out and looked at the symbols. They theorised that abstract symbols with similar shapes might represent the same letter, or groups of letters. They tested this with different languages and when German was used, some meaningful words emerged -- "Ceremonies of Initiation", followed by "Secret Section".

A little computation later and a good chunk of the book had been decoded and transcribed. The document revealed the rituals and political leanings of a German secret society, and one that had a strange obsession with eyeballs, plucking eyebrows, eye surgery and ophthalmology. You can read the entire, weird, manifesto in English here.   http://stp.lingfil.uu.se/~bea/copiale/copiale-translation.txt

Buoyant from his success, Knight is now planning on using his techniques and programs to tackle other codes including ones from the Zodiac Killer, a Northern Californian serial murderer from the 60s; "Kryptos," an encrypted message carved into a granite sculpture on the grounds of CIA headquarters; and the Voynich Manuscript, a medieval document that has baffled professional cryptographers for decades.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quoteopened by the conducting *nee* by putting his hat on, the candidate is taken from another room by a younger doorkeeper and lead by hand to the table of the conducting *nee*, he asks him:  first of all if he desires to be *lip*, secondly to subject himself to those regulations of *o* 

The Knights of Nee?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Jacob

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2011, 11:08:05 AM
Hm? Ok.

Wake me again when they translate the Voynich Manuscript.

The article says that's one of the next things in their sights.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2011, 11:09:59 AM
Or the bmolsson papers.

I don't think that code is accessible without thorough grounding in 4th dimensional physics based calculus.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2011, 11:31:02 AM
Hm? Ok.

It's gobbeltygook.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4252

I'm skeptical - that's a lot of effort to put into a forgery, especially where they make it look like real languages to modern analysis.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 26, 2011, 11:29:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2011, 11:09:59 AM
Or the bmolsson papers.

I don't think that code is accessible without thorough grounding in 4th dimensional physics based calculus.
The Time Cube is already there.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 26, 2011, 11:41:15 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2011, 11:31:02 AM
Hm? Ok.

It's gobbeltygook.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4252

I'm skeptical - that's a lot of effort to put into a forgery, especially where they make it look like real languages to modern analysis.

Viking is gullible.  I've never seen any evidence it was owned by John Dee.  It would also seem odd that some mysterious people would incorporate language laws that weren't understood for several century later into a hoax.  A much cruder hoax would be sufficient for the purposes elaborated by the article and wouldn't take as long.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain