News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tablet game help!

Started by Shade, October 26, 2011, 09:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shade

So I have an android Asus tablet-transformer and I was wondering what games either paid or free that I could get to help pass the time. I would really like a
nice tactical turn based like The Battle for Wesnoth, or Steel Panthers. Any suggestions?

derspiess

The Android market is kind of thin on these, unfortunately. 

The closest thing I could suggest would be Panzer Missions, published by Finn(?) dude named Joni Nuutinen.  I just started playing it but have been playing his Operation Barbarossa game an awful lot lately.  Both are turn-based hex map games based on the Eastern Front. 

Barbarossa is a strategy game that covers the entire Eastern Front (though not the Finnish theater oddly enough).  It's not terribly complex and the units are sort of abstracted (called only "units", not corps, armies, divisions, etc.) and there are a few interface limitations.  But it's fun, and a hell of a time-killer.  I think it goes for $3, and there is a free version to try out.

Panzer Missions is down closer to the tactical level, and it's gotten decent review so far.  I'll post more once I've spent more time with it.  The same dude also does a US Civil War game and an Operation Overlord game.  I'll probably get those if I like Panzer Missions.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogcategory/458

It isn't updated as much as the iOS section, since as Spicy said, android gaming is a bit more threadbare.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Shade

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall