And we're back!

Main Menu

Joe the Plumber runs for congress

Started by jimmy olsen, October 25, 2011, 09:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:bleeding:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45026726/ns/us_news/#.TqdxPHJ9ZFE

QuoteJoe the Plumber is plunging into politics because he thinks it's about time America had a few mechanics, bricklayers and, yes, plumbers in Congress.

Maybe that's true, but we don't need you Joe
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

What about him, specifically, do you dislike as a Congressman?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Joe is definitely not a clockmaker.  He can't tell that his fifteen minutes are up.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2011, 10:01:24 PM

The guy is a first rate BS artist, which I suppose is as good a qualification for Congress as any.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

He'll never oust Queen Kaptur. The Queen rules for life.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 26, 2011, 10:24:47 AM

The guy is a first rate BS artist, which I suppose is as good a qualification for Congress as any.

I have no love of the man. I just wondered what, specifically, Tim objected to.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on October 26, 2011, 03:37:55 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 26, 2011, 10:24:47 AM

I have no love of the man. I just wondered what, specifically, Tim objected to.

He's a liar.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The random nature of his "celebrity".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 26, 2011, 10:45:44 AM
He'll never oust Queen Kaptur. The Queen rules for life.

:yes:

Unless her district gets fucked over.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Maximus

They are over-represented in congress. Ex-Mennonites probably are not.

Razgovory

Actually, it's nice to have lawmakers who actually understand the laws they are writing and voting on.   Believe it or not, there is some skill and knowledge required to be a useful lawmaker.  The budget ceiling fight was a good example of Congressmen who didn't know what they were doing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on October 26, 2011, 07:27:34 PM
They are over-represented in congress. Ex-Mennonites probably are not.
Yeah.  The myth that it takes lawyers to pass good laws is pretty much disproven by the fact that something like half the Senators and a third of the Congressmen are lawyers.  I think the country needs more people who know how to create policies and less people who know how to read contracts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I don't think profession is the reason.  In my personal experience, lawyers are actually extremely intelligent, and able to comprehend issues far outside of their assumed level of expertise. 

I think the problem is with the system, like most corruption problems.  If you give people enough incentives to act unethically, they will.  You can blame their personal shortcomings all you want, but if you want to change the way things are done, you need to change the system.