News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No more Rhinos in Vietnam.

Started by Razgovory, October 25, 2011, 07:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I washed dishes in a pizza joint for about 4 months.  Didn't mind it all that much.

Except the lasagna dishes.

Ed Anger

I wanted to run my supervisor through the machine.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I sorta liked washing dishes.  It was relaxing.  No customers.  Granted, I didn't do that terribly often.  Busing tables I did for several months and off and on even after I started waiting.  It was actually pretty great, you just had to get over the fact that you're gonna wind up kind of gross, which is easy to deal with when you realize that pretty much all of the garbage generated in a restaurant is less than a few hours old.

The only job in a restaurant I ever did that was unavoidably unpleasant is expedition.  I don't know how people do that.  It's like playing a game of Pac-Man in a hot room with controls that only work half the time for four hours straight.  That's not really physical work as such, though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Expedition?  I worked at a fast food restaurant for about six hours before telling them to go to hell.  I was getting tired of having hot grease splash onto my face.  Then I fell down, then they laughed at me, and then some other stuff happened that I am prohibited by law to mention.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The expediter is the person who coordinates between the wait staff and the kitchen staff so that the food comes out in the proper sequence.

In a proper French restaurant that's the job the head chef does.  Well, at least it was when Orwell wrote Down and Out.

Siege

I cannot do menial work anymore.
For a living, I mean.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on November 06, 2011, 06:55:40 PM
For a living, I mean.

Did you know the word "Sergeant" comes from the old French word for "Servant"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

My first job was working in a pottery studeo - basically, wedging clay, carrying boxes full of clay and finished pottery from here to there, and mopping the floors.

Funny story - eventually I moved on to doing more of the actual sculpting, and we attempted to hire college art school types to work in the studeo - that didn't work out so well. The first student's reaction was typical - after a day of carrying stuff and mopping floors, she threw down her mop in disgust and yelled something like "I'm not a janitor, I'm an artist goddamit!" and stormed out.

I remember thinking "oh boy, she's in for a big dissapointment ... "  :lol: Something like 90% of the work in a commercial studeo isn't strictly "art", it's cleaning up, carrying stuff, firing the pottery, accounting, dealing with retailers, customers and suppliers ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Then she went to a park and squatted while making weird hand gestures.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2011, 12:25:55 PM
My first job was working in a pottery studeo - basically, wedging clay, carrying boxes full of clay and finished pottery from here to there, and mopping the floors.

Funny story - eventually I moved on to doing more of the actual sculpting, and we attempted to hire college art school types to work in the studeo - that didn't work out so well. The first student's reaction was typical - after a day of carrying stuff and mopping floors, she threw down her mop in disgust and yelled something like "I'm not a janitor, I'm an artist goddamit!" and stormed out.

I remember thinking "oh boy, she's in for a big dissapointment ... "  :lol: Something like 90% of the work in a commercial studeo isn't strictly "art", it's cleaning up, carrying stuff, firing the pottery, accounting, dealing with retailers, customers and suppliers ...

Well, that's stupid.  Obviously much if not most of the physical work of an artist is going to be craft related.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Siege on November 06, 2011, 06:55:40 PM
For a living, I mean.

Nowdays, Seigy just poisons well and kill babies for his own amusement.

Josquius

The thought of washing dishes makes me shudder. Just...touching other people's left overs is a bit of an illogical phobia of mine.

Not that I'd call that physical labour. There's a difference between some crappy low level menial job and actual labour.
I...actually kind of did have a labourious job when I was a teenager, I was a porter (i.e. trolley pusher and heavy box fetcher) at a super market. Doesn't compare to farming of course but...fairly labourious.
██████
██████
██████

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2011, 12:25:55 PM

:o  How on Earth did you manage to become a successful corporate lawyer from such a humble start in the world??
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

He started before the world stopped spinning.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2011, 12:31:25 AM
The thought of washing dishes makes me shudder. Just...touching other people's left overs is a bit of an illogical phobia of mine.

Indeed.  We're all covered in shit and bugs and poison.

QuoteNot that I'd call that physical labour. There's a difference between some crappy low level menial job and actual labour.
I...actually kind of did have a labourious job when I was a teenager, I was a porter (i.e. trolley pusher and heavy box fetcher) at a super market. Doesn't compare to farming of course but...fairly labourious.

Dishwashing and other backroom restaurant work involves a lot of lifting, e.g. 60 gallon garbage cans.  Can't tell you how heavy exactly, and they often varied.  I'd guess, since I was able to lift them into a dumpster, 60-100 pounds?  And of course there's lots of boxes of food, kegs, soda fountain syrup bags, and things like that to be unloaded, moved, and so forth.
Kinemalogue