Extrajudicial killings of tyrants and succesful countries in modern times?

Started by Martinus, October 25, 2011, 05:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

The fate of Gaddafi got me thinking: what is the correlation between violently murdering a tyrant or letting him live/putting him on trial and the subsequent success of the government resulting from such overthrow, in terms of welfare and democracy?

How many examples are there of succesful democratic countries that have tyrannicide as the "founding myth" in the modern times?

For the purpose of this exercise, consider modern times to be the last 400 years or so. And countries which had to go through another revolution/restoration to reach normalcy (e.g. France or England) dont count.

I can think of post-WW2 Italy only. Any other examples?

Valdemar

the Sovjets will probably consider killing the Czar a succesful coup d'Etat

V

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

Quote from: Valdemar on October 25, 2011, 05:45:08 AM
the Sovjets will probably consider killing the Czar a succesful coup d'Etat

V

A succesful democratic state? Not really.

Martinus

Grinning_Colossus

It depends on how one defines 'judicial'. He was 'tried' and executed in a matter of hours by the military.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 05:40:29 AM
The fate of Gaddafi got me thinking: what is the correlation between violently murdering a tyrant or letting him live/putting him on trial and the subsequent success of the government resulting from such overthrow, in terms of welfare and democracy?

How many examples are there of succesful democratic countries that have tyrannicide as the "founding myth" in the modern times?

For the purpose of this exercise, consider modern times to be the last 400 years or so. And countries which had to go through another revolution/restoration to reach normalcy (e.g. France or England) dont count.

I can think of post-WW2 Italy only. Any other examples?

Victor Emmanuel III wasn't murdered, nor was he ever put on trial for anything.  He was merely forced to abdicate and to go into exile.  And he wasn't really a tyrant, more just a figurehead--Mussolini was the tyrant.

And if you meant Mussolini, his overthrow and killing wasn't post-war;  he was overthown and later killed during the war.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2011, 11:25:39 AM
Israel almost has one, but Folke Bernadotte wasn't a tyrant.

Abd Al-Qadir Al-Huseyni might be a candidate.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller