News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Horror Story

Started by Martinus, October 24, 2011, 05:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I don't think it's even an open question anymore, maybe that's what he meant? :unsure:

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2011, 06:56:05 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2011, 06:52:21 AM
He works for a law firm as a lawyer and has a degree. That is why we don't question his lawtalkerness.

You must have several posters blocked somehow.

No, there is a difference between questioning his skill and questioning his right to appear before a judge.

Plus, if I'm ignoring anything it's grumbler and martinus' attention whoring threads.

Edit: except for the bit where I show up to mock him for one post.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Viking, some people think Marti is a Trucker who watches movies about being a gay lawyer.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2011, 11:50:30 AM
Viking, some people think Marti is a Trucker who watches movies about being a gay lawyer.

Get back to me when you have something better than "some people think".

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2011, 11:54:24 AM

I think it is a long running commentary that Marti isn't actually a lawyer. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2011, 11:55:50 AM

I think it is a long running commentary that Marti isn't actually a lawyer. :huh:

Viking has already said he doesnt really pay attention.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2011, 11:55:50 AM

I don't frequent Mary's attention whoreing threads, so I am unaware of that specific conspiracy theory.

Cerr

Quote from: Josephus on October 24, 2011, 05:33:54 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 24, 2011, 05:28:21 PM
They have TV in Poland?  :huh:
From what I've seen in movies, everyone there lives in dirt huts with no water or electricity, and the only warmth comes from burning Jews.

When I was in Poland about 10 or so years ago, I remember watching TV in the hotel. It was M*A*S*H* dubbed in Polish. But the cool thing was that they had the same guy do all the voices. Even Houlahan's.
I was in Krakow a couple of days ago. They still do that. It's not completely dubbed, you can sort of still hear the orginal actors. They seem (not knowing Polish) more like a sort of voice-over/translator but it is pretty bizarre.

I found this article about it:

http://edubbing.blogspot.com/2007/10/polish-dubbing-no-emotions-attached.html

Eddie Teach

Just saw the first episode. Interesting setup.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Cerr on October 25, 2011, 01:51:22 PM
I was in Krakow a couple of days ago. They still do that. It's not completely dubbed, you can sort of still hear the orginal actors. They seem (not knowing Polish) more like a sort of voice-over/translator but it is pretty bizarre.

That was pretty common in Soviet Union, at least 20 years ago.  There is no pretense of dubbing, you just show the film in original language, and the same one guy will be doing what looks like a running translation.  The original language is not muted, but it is mostly voiced over. 

Incidentally, back then, there was just one guy doing all the characters for all the foreign movies, series, or soap operas.  I wonder how he managed to not lose his voice eventually, or even find enough time during his day to do all that.

Martinus

Yeah. To be honest, I kinda hate the "normal" dubbing - it just seems contrived. I guess it's a matter of getting used to something from an early age.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2011, 04:19:45 PM
I guess it's a matter of getting used to something from an early age.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2011, 04:13:13 PM
Quote from: Cerr on October 25, 2011, 01:51:22 PM

That was pretty common in Soviet Union, at least 20 years ago.  There is no pretense of dubbing, you just show the film in original language, and the same one guy will be doing what looks like a running translation.  The original language is not muted, but it is mostly voiced over. 

Incidentally, back then, there was just one guy doing all the characters for all the foreign movies, series, or soap operas.  I wonder how he managed to not lose his voice eventually, or even find enough time during his day to do all that.

He probably did the recording at double speed in a high pitched voice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.