News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish Band - A Darklands AAR

Started by Syt, October 23, 2011, 04:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I picked up Darklands from GOG - which saves me the trouble of fidgeting with the old disks ... for which I don't have any drive anymore.

I'm rather rusty on the game, but it's still good fun if a bit repetitive in parts.

Anyways, this is the story of the intrepid Band of Languish who joined to make a name for themselves in Medieval Germany. Don't expect any screenshots - unlike the gameplay, the graphics haven't aged very gracefully, as you can see here:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/darklands/screenshots

Anyways, introductions are in order.

Eduard von Angersberg, intrepid leader

An old knight of 40, Eduard is pretty good at cutting things with his short sword. The nobleman's son is very virtuous, if grumpy, and sets out to teach the youth of today in the old, better ways. His skilled rhetoric sure helps.

Balthasar Geldgraf

Geldgraf grew up as son of city commoners. He joined the army and became a veteran of many campaigns. After his military career he became a thief and swindler and learned to survive on the tough city streets of the Reich. He's also skilled in stealth.

Thimoteus Olson

A 25 year old, wide eyed alchemist, Tim looks at everything with a sense of wonder. He's not a great fighter, and he's still a beginning alchemist, but at least he can read and write better than anyone in the band and notices things others tend to overlook.

Berta Brazenberg

She is the daughter of wealthy townsfolk, but after a spiritual experience as a child, she joined a monastery and became a nun. Now, age 30, she decided to spread the word of God among the people of Germany. She's surprisingly handy with a flail, knows a bit about healing, and is almost fluent in Latin. Her virtue is never in doubt and she has studied the works of St. Denis and St. Patrick.

Martinus Kochastop

Something is queer about this priest. Maybe it's how he keeps cursing all the time. Maybe it's the way he stares at people's feet. He speaks German and Latin fluently, and has uncanny penmanship.

Karl "Caliga" Stiefel

A tall, broadshouldered man from the woods around Paderborn. He has spent most of his days as a hunter. He's not the brightest, but he knows his way around in the wilderness, and he's even stronger than Eduard. His simple country charms might open a few doors that might otherwise stay closed.

Herrmann Hirner

A somewhat crazed craftsman, highly intelligent and somewhat useful with a sword. After his previous workshop in a northern city blew up, he's travlled aimlessly before joining the band.

IN MEMORIAM
Timotheus Olson - 30th August 1400. Slain by a bandit in Wismar.
Berta Brazenberg - 24th November 1400. Killed by a thief in Paderborn.
Martinus Kochastop - 5th May 1401. Killed in pitched battle by a robber knight.

It's the 29th of August, 1400 AD, and the group makes their vows of allegiance in the Wädekin, a popular inn in the Baltic town of Wismar ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I was always fascinated by Darklands, glad you started this. :)

Syt

Tim wants to be of use to the group, so they grudgingly humor him by heading to Udalrich Linck, the best alchemist in town where Tim hopes to learn a thing or two. Unfortunately, the alchemist takes a look at the ragtag band and scoffs at them.

Brazenberg spots a physician across the street. She discusses the craft with him and finds his skills medicore. Still, she asks if she can learn something from him. He rejects courteously. Night has fallen and the group go to the Inn for the night. Geldgraf and Angersberg mumble to each other over their meal what a waste of time this day has been.

The next day, Eduard drags them to the market, hoping that someone has some work for them there. They go to the offices of the Fuggers, the Hanseatic League and the Medici, but everywhere the same result: sorry, no job for the likes of you. The Fürstenhof, the seat of government, doesn't even let them in! So they head for the churches for spiritual guidance.

The priest at Marienkirche is not much help. Mass is stilla time off, so the band decide to cleanse themselves for their tasks by confessing their sins. The priest confers his blessings and eleven hours owrth of penance upon them. Bastard! When they're done it's the middle of the night, and only the clueless altar boy is still mucking about.

"Screw this," Eduard grunts. They head out to the streets.

"Let's head for the docks," Geldgraf suggests. "I, uhm, heard that's where unsavory people like to hang out at night. Maybe we can clean the place up a little."

"Beats sneaking back to the inn," Eduard agrees.

"Guys, are you sure this is wise?" Tim asks.

The others ignore him.

Sure enough, they run into some mooks, but they're quickly taken care of; the proud heroes only carry minor wounds. Some passers by cheer them on, but otherwise, the loot is pretty meager. A couple of clubs and smelly clothes. Better than nothing.

"Someone in the market better buy this crap." Eduard slings the bag over his shoulder.

At first sunlight, they find a trader in the market who buys the clubs and cheap leather armor. Unfortunately, no one wants the smelly bandit pants, so Eduard just drops them in a side alley.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

They spend the rest of the day in the local Black Monastery. As usual, apprenticeships aren't offered, but Geldgraf slinks off to learn about St. Finnian, who can offer bonuses to street smarts, charisma and rhetoric.

The day passes quickly, and the group head back to the inn. On their way, Tim spots bandits hiding in ambush. He suggests talking their way out of the situation, but the others won't have any of it.

The fight is quick and brutal. The bandits lose, but at great cost - one of them dashes for Tim who had tried to stay in safety while the others fight. Thimoteus is killed by a cut to his throat before the others can help him. The group is aghast and retire to the inn to contemplate the loss.

"Only slowed us down, anyways," Eduard mutters.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2011, 04:03:21 AM
Thimotheus Olson

but at least he can read and write better than anyone in the band and notices things others tend to overlook.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Now that Timotheus is dead, introduce a sodomite physician, Martinus von Schwulenberg?  :ph34r:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The three decide to look for a good fit for their little party.

"You know," Geldgraf says, "we'll be travelling a fair bit, if only to get out of this shithole. Would be good to have someone who knows about life outside the city walls."

"And someone who can actually fight," Eduard says. "Maybe a craftsman?"

B has already made up her mind, though. She has spotted a fabulously dressed priest at a neighbouring table. He seems a bit shy, for he constantly looks down, at people's feet. She walks over, talks to him and then returns with him to the table.

"This is Martinus Kochastop," she says and smiles.

"What kind of a stupid name is that?" Geldgraf asks.

"He's not from here," B says.

"What, can't he speak?" Eduard grunts.

"Indeed I can, good sirs," the priest says, looking intently at Eduard's and Geldgraf's feet. They squirm uncomfortably in their seats.

Over the next hour, Martinus talks their ears off. He's 35, has studied a long time and had only recently become a priest. He doesn't seem exactly religious or virtuous - which Geldgraf likes -  but he can talk, in German and Latin, and he knows how to handle a quill, and almost even a sword.

"Which I don't have," Martinus says. He looks apologetically at the other three. "I don't think any of you can help me out?"

Geldgraf and Eduard roll their eyes.

"Of course," B says, casting a scolding look towards the other two. "We'll head to the markets right away."

They sell last night's bandits' equipment. Geldgraf and Eduard try to shove one of the rusty falchion on Martinus, but he rfuses, insisting on a new weapon. They sigh and buy him a new short sword of good quality. They dump another set of stained bandits' pants in a dark corner and decide that they've seen enough of Wismar.

It's the 31st of August, 1400 AD, and they quartett decides to travel to Lübeck, queen of the Hansa, hoping to find more lucrative work there.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Before they can leave, though, Geldgraf speaks up. "You know, those bandits whacked me pretty bad. Can't we heal up first?"

Eduard gives him the eye. "Weak."

"Actually, I need some patching up, too", B says.

"Ok. Fine!"

The four rest up some more in Wismar. Geldgraf and B heal up. Eduard earns some money as a swordsmith, and Martinus finds a bit of work as a clerk, where B later joins as a scribe. They make a small profit.

It's the 11th of September when they decide to leave.

"Why haven't we bothered to give Tim a proper burial?" B asks as they walk out of the city gate.

Eduard just shrugs.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

They've barely lost sight of the city walls, when Martinus halts them. "I think I hear something ahead!"

They discuss what they should do. Martinus insists he can talk their way out of this. But he's barely said a word, when the bandits attack!

They fight them off, but B is badly wounded. With almost all of the journey still ahead, they decide to return to Wismar for the moment.

On the plus side, the bandits had some decent equipment. Martinus is wearing leather armor now, and so does B. The rest of the equipment is sold in Wismar, where the four now have gained a bit of respect of the people. Eduard and Geldgraf celebrate by buying shields for themselves after they've sold the bandits' belongings.

They head for the town physician. Unfortunately, he's a bit of a quack and charges them extraordinarily. The four decide that it's cheaper to tend to B in the inn while the rest of them earn some more money.

It's September 19th when they decide to try their luck again to find some jobs in town. And indeed, the Fugger banker Michel Dungern has a task for which he promises them 4 florin. The party look at him expactently.

"Well," the banker begins, "I've been searching for a holy artifact my whole life. Are you familiar with the Song of the Nibelungs?"

The four look at each other. "I guess," Martinus says.

"Then you know of Siegfried's helmet that gave him invisibility? I have strong proof that it's somewhere near Frankfurt on the Oder River. Now, where's that map . . . ?"

He bends over a trunk and rummages in it. The four use the opportunity to leave quietly, shaking their heads.

"Crazy fuck," Geldgraf says.

The Hansa and Medici still don't want anything to do with our heroes, and so they decide to leave the city after all.

The short journey to Lübeck is uneventful this time, and they arrive late on September 20th. Eduard chats with the city guards and they let the group inwithout paying the toll, and even though it's the middle of the night. They group decide to hang out in an inn till daybreak.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The group begins their usual rounds.

At the town hall they're laughed down the stairs when they inquire for work. The Hansa clerks are polite but not forthcoming with jobs. The Medici take one look at the heroes' clothes and close the door.

Annoyed as they are they poke around the various traders in the markets. An old pharmacist pulls them aside and shows them a purse with 7 golden florins that could be theirs.

Eduard's eyes glitter. "Ok, who do we kill?"

"Hopefully no one," the pharmacist says, laughing. "But there is a special ingredient I have need of. Hyoscyamus. I hear a sage dwarf has some."

"A dwarf?" Geldgraf says. He does a bad job of hiding his disbelief.

"A dwarf."

"And he's going to give us that stuff?"

"You'll know when you get there."

"Uhuh," Eduard says. "Where is this . . . dwarf?"

"Near Bamberg," the pharmacist says. "Southwest of the city if my news are correct."

"You're aware," Geldgraf says, "that it's quite a bit of walking you ask of us?"

"You're aware," the pharmacist replies, "that it's quite a bit of money I'm offering you? Do what you like. If you come back within a reasoable amount of time with the ingredient, I will pay you."

"We promise nothing," Eduard says. "Weirdo," he adds under his breath.

"I heard that," the old man shouts behind them.

The group goes to mass in a small church and offers a few alms to the poor. They also head to the Herz Jesu Kirche where Martinus decides to learn about St. Moses the Black.

"So, Bamberg, huh?" Geldgraf finally says as the group walks through the narrow streets of the city.

"Never know what opportunities are on the road," Eduard says.

"Yeah," Martinus says. "I guess."
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2011, 01:36:54 PM
Martinus decides to learn about St. Moses the Black.

Didn't know Martinus was into large scary Africans. :P

grumbler

Enjoying this a lot, Syt.  Please continue.  :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!