The Iraq War Poll

Started by Viking, October 22, 2011, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did we win the Iraq War?

Yes, the enemy was Saddam and Al-Qaeda.
8 (12.7%)
Yes, we broke it and we fixed it.
11 (17.5%)
The cost was too high, it was a Pyrrhic Victory.
31 (49.2%)
We lost and we are lucky we are not evacuating the Green Zone by Huey.
4 (6.3%)
OMG BU$HITLER NO WMD!!!!1111oneoneone
5 (7.9%)
Jaron
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 08:05:09 AM
Iraq is better off today then it was under Saddam?  How so?

Fewer people being gassed and shot.

Valmy

They have a democratic and representative system.

To me the fact that the Iraqis are asking us to go and we are leaving is evidence of victory.  It is more of a victory than I could have hoped in the past few years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Well, no.  You can't really claim that Iraq is Democracy when the state doesn't have a monopoly of violence.  Freedom House still labels them "Unfree".  They've been asking us to leave for a long time.  They were just using bombs and bullets before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2011, 08:31:56 AM

Fewer people being gassed and shot.

How do you know?  It's unknown how many people died during the Iraq war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 08:44:14 AM

You didn't ask about the war, you asked about today.  No Khurds being gassed today.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 24, 2011, 07:57:08 AM

Democracy really is better than not democracy. Iraq really is better off today than they were under Saddam. The western way of organizing society and government is objectively superior to the alternatives for the people governed, and yes, it is in fact entirely possible to use force in some cases to remove non-democratic regimes. Certainly not in all cases (of course), but there are too many examples of current, prosperous democratic countries that became that way through some form of intervention.

See Berkut, this is your problem.  You confuse your opinion with an objective truth.  It may even be an opinion I agree with, but I can't say it's objectively true.  Take Mono, he doesn't care one way or another for Democracy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2011, 08:46:23 AM

You didn't ask about the war, you asked about today.  No Khurds being gassed today.

No Kurds were gassed in 2002 either.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 08:42:17 AM
Well, no.  You can't really claim that Iraq is Democracy when the state doesn't have a monopoly of violence.  Freedom House still labels them "Unfree".  They've been asking us to leave for a long time.  They were just using bombs and bullets before.

This just tells me your expectations were too high.

Makes sense given what Bush and Blair were saying when the invasion was launched but I would have bet they would either be split in a vicious Civil War or under the thumb of another dictator by now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 08:47:53 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 24, 2011, 07:57:08 AM

Democracy really is better than not democracy. Iraq really is better off today than they were under Saddam. The western way of organizing society and government is objectively superior to the alternatives for the people governed, and yes, it is in fact entirely possible to use force in some cases to remove non-democratic regimes. Certainly not in all cases (of course), but there are too many examples of current, prosperous democratic countries that became that way through some form of intervention.

See Berkut, this is your problem.  You confuse your opinion with an objective truth.  It may even be an opinion I agree with, but I can't say it's objectively true.  Take Mono, he doesn't care one way or another for Democracy.

Some particular person caring one way or another for democracy does not disprove my contention that it is objectively true that people who live under democratic regimes are better off than people who do not.

You can argue that I am wrong by coming up with differing value systems that dismiss things like quality of life, literacy, life expectancy, etc., etc. But the fact that there are some individuals who do not value their own freedom is not a means of dismissing my argument.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2011, 08:49:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 08:42:17 AM

This just tells me your expectations were too high.

Makes sense given what Bush and Blair were saying when the invasion was launched but I would have bet they would either be split in a vicious Civil War or under the thumb of another dictator by now.

But you said they had a Democratic and representative system.  Are you saying they aren't a Democracy?  Please clarify your position.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2011, 08:46:23 AM

indeed, they are hunted by the Turkish army now  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 24, 2011, 08:55:41 AM

Some particular person caring one way or another for democracy does not disprove my contention that it is objectively true that people who live under democratic regimes are better off than people who do not.

You can argue that I am wrong by coming up with differing value systems that dismiss things like quality of life, literacy, life expectancy, etc., etc. But the fact that there are some individuals who do not value their own freedom is not a means of dismissing my argument.

What is your contention based on then?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 08:56:42 AM
But you said they had a Democratic and representative system.  Are you saying they aren't a Democracy?  Please clarify your position.

I said they have a democratic and representative system.  You are claiming that because the situation is not perfect, as in the state does not have a monopoly on violence, then the whole thing is a failure.  I do not have such a ridiculously inflexible position.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2011, 09:03:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 08:56:42 AM

I said they have a democratic and representative system.  You are claiming that because the situation is not perfect, as in the state does not have a monopoly on violence, then the whole thing is a failure.  I do not have such a ridiculously inflexible position.

A state not having a monopoly on violence is not a mere imperfection.  It's the cornerstone of a state.  If a militia can just murder you if you vote a certain way, then the democratic government is simply theoretical rather then actual.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2011, 09:12:53 AM
A state not having a monopoly on violence is not a mere imperfection.  It's the cornerstone of a state.  If a militia can just murder you if you vote a certain way, then the democratic government is simply theoretical rather then actual.

Well completely shutting down the militia's was unlikely to happen so I guess we were doomed to failure from the beginning.  Still I think we did pretty well under the circumstances.