News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News - US Out of Iraq by Dec 31st

Started by Jacob, October 21, 2011, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 21, 2011, 07:45:55 PM
Need to get them out before January in case there's a different President then.  ;)

In 2012?  Is he expecting to die or be impeached?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 21, 2011, 07:45:55 PM
Need to get them out before January in case there's a different President then.  ;)
I think the odds of Obama resigning, getting removed from office or getting assassinated in the next two months are pretty low.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I wonder if Obama is going to lose next year.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

BuddhaRhubarb

I thought they left a few months ago, already :d'oh:
:p

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on October 21, 2011, 07:53:22 PM

It's a distinct possibility. So many people on both sides of the aisle are unhappy with the economy...and for some reason voters seem to believe the President has the deciding influence on the economy.

Also: I am glad they are bringing the boys back home.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 21, 2011, 07:53:22 PM

If he wins it's because he makes the campaign about the challenger rather then himself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 10:04:19 PM
If he wins it's because he makes the campaign about the challenger rather then himself.

Yes, that'd have to be the number one priority on the strategists' minds. Sad, really. I think a lot of young folks who wouldn't have voted for anyone before voted for Obama because...well, they thought he was one of them, at least in spirit. I think finding out that he's a politician like many others - rolling over when it's convenient, etc - has broken the hearts of a lot of people. I'd imagine a lot of the Occupy protesters would say they're pretty angry with Obama.

merithyn

Quote from: fahdiz on October 21, 2011, 10:09:00 PM
I'd imagine a lot of the Occupy protesters would say they're pretty angry with Obama.

I don't know. There's a lot to be said for how badly the House and Senate have handled things in terms of the economy. Personally, I'm far more frustrated with damn near every Representative and Senator in our gov't than I am with Obama. Especially since it seems that lately he's grown a backbone and started putting his foot down on some things.

It doesn't help that I can't stomach the Tea Party, and I am fucking sick to death of the social conservatives out there stomping around. I identify with the Occupy crowd, but I'll vote for Obama again.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fhdz

The one nice thing about this election is that it seems no one's paying much attention to social conservatism.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on October 21, 2011, 10:09:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 10:04:19 PM

Yes, that'd have to be the number one priority on the strategists' minds. Sad, really. I think a lot of young folks who wouldn't have voted for anyone before voted for Obama because...well, they thought he was one of them, at least in spirit. I think finding out that he's a politician like many others - rolling over when it's convenient, etc - has broken the hearts of a lot of people. I'd imagine a lot of the Occupy protesters would say they're pretty angry with Obama.

A lot of liberals had unrealistic expectations about Obama.  That he'd be able to wave his hand and right all wrongs.  It's not that easy.  I'm disappointed on how naive he is.  Domestically he's not done so well.  On the foreign relations area though, he's done well (though I suspect Hillary has more to do with this then he does).  I didn't think the Libyan thing was a good idea, but happily I was wrong and so far it seems to be working out.  Obama has had to have walk a difficult line in dealing with the Mid East governments since many of them have had to face full scale rebellions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2011, 10:34:32 PM
Especially since it seems that lately he's grown a backbone and started putting his foot down on some things.

Like his job bill which is coming to pieces? :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

I think she means the Iraq withdrawal plan, which he has been unable to weasel out of.

-J. R. R. Tolkien