News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are Auto-Mechanics all Dishonest Scum?

Started by PRC, October 20, 2011, 10:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are Auto-Mechanics all Dishonest Scum or are Decent and Trustworthy Individuals counted amongst their ranks?

Mechanics are ALL dishonest scum.
6 (17.1%)
Some mechanics are dishonest scum, but I know a trustworthy one.
22 (62.9%)
Every mechanic i've ever dealt with has been trustworthy.
2 (5.7%)
I don't own a car, I take public transit.
3 (8.6%)
I don't own a car, I don't take public transit... I walk or ride a bike.
2 (5.7%)
I have no opinion on this matter.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

PRC

The automobile, valued conveyance that it is, is a money-pit of epic proportions.  What, I need to pay $1,325.00 to make this thing operate just as well as it did yesterday!?

Recently i've heard stories of Canadian Tire mechanics being useless charlattans who cause more problems than they ever fix.  Another auto-shop in the region has recently given me the feeling that they consider me an easy mark and are actively engaged in outright price gouging. 

What is the take on Languish?  Are Auto-Mechanics all dishonest scum holding their intelligence of the internal combustion engine as a secret knowlege that gives them the right to demand exorbitant payment for their services?  ...or are Auto-Mechanics simply misunderstood tradesmen, the price for their services is naturally high and they only want to help?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Richard Hakluyt

There is a car repair place a few hundred yards from my house. The overwhelming majority of their business is from the local area, an area where people actually know and talk to each other. We trust them implicitly, our repair and maintenance bills are half what they were down south. If they ever stopped being reliable word would spread quickly, as it is they are always busy and make a decent living.......which is as it should be.

Pedrito

Other: ALL artisans (mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, fixers, etc) are dishonest, but you have to bear with them.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Brazen

When my car was new I had to take it to the dealers for servicing and that was a complete rip-off. Now I go to a place recommended by my dad which is therefore pensioner-friendly. I can say "It's due a service but I'm broke" or "What's the cheapest way to get it through the MOT". Of course keeping it on the road at all is touch-and-go at the moment, but I figure it's cheaper than trying to start again next time I need a car.

garbon

No. My uncle owns his own shop and he is honest...often to his detriment. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Pedrito on October 21, 2011, 02:24:17 AM
Other: ALL artisans (mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, fixers, etc) are dishonest, but you have to bear with them.
:lmfao:  Grallon, your nihilism never gets old... or wise.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2011, 08:47:33 AM
No. My uncle owns his own shop and his honest...often to his detriment. :(

Ditto. Though I'd say a majority of mechanics do prey on the ignorant. 

It amazes me how sometimes the amount of work/parts required to fix the problem goes way down when I start asking questions or tell them I'm going to take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

I also like when I'm getting an oil change and they try to sell me an air filter for 3 or 4 times what I'd pay for it in a store.  I usually thank them for reminding me it was time to replace it & tell them I'll replace it myself. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2011, 09:32:57 AM
I also like when I'm getting an oil change and they try to sell me an air filter for 3 or 4 times what I'd pay for it in a store.  I usually thank them for reminding me it was time to replace it & tell them I'll replace it myself. 

I always tell them that I don't care. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2011, 09:16:44 AM

:huh: Pedrito is Italian, mate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

There were about three references in that one grumbler sentence that I didn't get.  :huh:

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2011, 09:53:47 AM

He didn't actually think Pedrito was Grallon. :secret:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2011, 10:06:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2011, 09:53:47 AM

He didn't actually think Pedrito was Grallon. :secret:

Yes, but since it is Italy pedrito may be being realistic rather than cynical  :hmm: