News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

The game is $60? Ugh...is that becoming the new standard price these days for PC games?
Yuman

Syt

Quote from: JonasSalk on December 10, 2011, 12:35:35 AM
The game is $60? Ugh...is that becoming the new standard price these days for PC games?

Not over here yet. However, PC games have been the one thing in the past 20 years or so that haven't really gone up in price.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2011, 01:01:49 AM
Quote from: JonasSalk on December 10, 2011, 12:35:35 AM

Not over here yet. However, PC games have been the one thing in the past 20 years or so that haven't really gone up in price.

New releases have been inching their way up over the years.  But they often fall dramatically after a few months.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

A lot of "big" games (Skyrim, Star Wars, Modern Warfare) are starting off at $60, which is making me refuse to buy them for quite a while.
Yuman

Razgovory

Quote from: JonasSalk on December 10, 2011, 02:12:33 AM
A lot of "big" games (Skyrim, Star Wars, Modern Warfare) are starting off at $60, which is making me refuse to buy them for quite a while.

Back when I stared playing PC games they were typically about 45 bucks for a new release.  Which wasn't bad.  Final Fantasy III (I refuse to call it VI), was like 70 bucks when it came out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

LOLWUT

I am preordering it just now, and I am being charged FIVE EUROS OF PRE-ORDER FEE

RLY? SERIOUSLY? I PAY MORE FOR GIVING THEM MY TRUST?

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on December 10, 2011, 05:23:49 AM
LOLWUT

I am preordering it just now, and I am being charged FIVE EUROS OF PRE-ORDER FEE

It's not a fee - it's a downpayment, and gets credited against your purchase price.

And Jonas - I recall paying like $50 for games 20 or more years ago.  The price is really quite reasonable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I recall one of the Ultimas (6? 7?) was actually DM120.00 when it came out, or ca. 60 €. It was a common price for imported, niche or some high end games of the time. Actually, it was pretty common for console games, too (e.g. Legend of Zelda for NES or stuff like Castlevania or Contra for SNES).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2011, 12:37:29 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 10, 2011, 05:23:49 AM
LOLWUT

It's not a fee - it's a downpayment, and gets credited against your purchase price.

And Jonas - I recall paying like $50 for games 20 or more years ago.  The price is really quite reasonable.

why was the final price base game price plus 5 euros then?

Berkut

Tamas is right, the online pre-order charges and extra 5 bucks.

I just plopped my $5 pre-order down at the local Gamestop.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

JonasSalk

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2011, 12:37:29 PMAnd Jonas - I recall paying like $50 for games 20 or more years ago.  The price is really quite reasonable.

Yes, I know the price has basically been static for about two decades now, although smaller companies generally charge about $40.  With the "regular" price coming up to $60, I just can't be bothered to buy the games when they first come out. I'll leave that to the stupids.

And yeah, it looks like the $5 thing is a fee to pre-order. As in, the game is $65 if you pre-order online. WTF.

If I pre-order at Gamestop or whatever do I get a ticket that lets me download the game and play during the early play period?
Yuman

crazy canuck

Hey if the can convince people that pre-ordering something that can downloaded why not charge those same people.  Those customers are already hooked on the idea of starting asap.  Nice tidy profit. 

Ideologue

Damn.  I gotta wonder if that's very clearly marked.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2011, 01:00:45 PM
I recall one of the Ultimas (6? 7?) was actually DM120.00 when it came out, or ca. 60 €. It was a common price for imported, niche or some high end games of the time. Actually, it was pretty common for console games, too (e.g. Legend of Zelda for NES or stuff like Castlevania or Contra for SNES).

That's actually what I was thinking of - I'm pretty sure I paid $70+ for Ultima V in the late 80s. For the Apple II.

And if they really are charging you an EXTRA 5 for the pre-order, well, tat does indeed suck.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2011, 08:03:34 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2011, 01:00:45 PM

That's actually what I was thinking of - I'm pretty sure I paid $70+ for Ultima V in the late 80s. For the Apple II.

And if they really are charging you an EXTRA 5 for the pre-order, well, tat does indeed suck.

I paid 80 bucks for the first Civ.