36 hours in Quebec city - From the New York Times

Started by viper37, October 19, 2011, 12:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Paris-West...

The most important part is here:
Quebec City, a historic, cultural and culinary center beside the St.  Lawrence River, has emerged from the long shadow cast by its ever  popular neighbor, Montreal.       
:P

Not that I'm paid by the Tourism office or anything, but I tought I'd share with you guys :)
No Anglos were harmed during those 36hrs ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quebec City is too far away. I'm still going to Montreal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 12:57:50 PM

It's only 3 more hours & a very different feel. I never visit Montreal, I always visit QC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Is there a serious Quebec City - Montreal rivalry? Quebec City is a tourist town. Of course it is very nice, indeed one of the most beautiful historic towns I've seen, and if on vacation I'd rather go there, but it ain't in the same league as Montreal, which is a major city.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2011, 01:04:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 12:57:50 PM

It's only 3 more hours & a very different feel. I never visit Montreal, I always visit QC.

And that's exactly it. I ain't driving 9.5 hours.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Quebec City.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2011, 01:17:12 PM

The provincial legislature of Quebec is located there.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2011, 01:07:41 PM
Is there a serious Quebec City - Montreal rivalry? Quebec City is a tourist town. Of course it is very nice, indeed one of the most beautiful historic towns I've seen, and if on vacation I'd rather go there, but it ain't in the same league as Montreal, which is a major city.
Serious?  Depends.  Depends on what.  At the time of the Nordiques, yes, there was a serious rivalry, beginning with hockey, extending to medias and at some level with the general population.

Now a rivalry... on some levels.  Like, say, Montreal medias blasting Quebec city's summer festival for not being "french enough", meaning not enough of Montreal's artists; having some manoeuvers to get more govt funding or moving a festival square in the time frame of an equivalent one in Quebec; medias blasting government investment in Quebec city while lauding similar investments in Montreal; some self described "elite" and local politicians complaining the bureaucrats of Quebec city are morons who understand nothing at their city and neglect the road investments (while in reality all those decisions are made in Montreal, by Montrealers); but serious rivalry?   Nah.  The usual stuff you'd see between the big city and the smaller cities trying to differentiate themselves.

But there are annoyances.  like say, giving government grant to Montreal so they can build themselves cinema or video games studios while not giving the same incentives to Quebec city does create some rivalry.  But nothing like, say, Calgary vs Toronto.  Or Neil vs World.

Nobody in Quebec city expects their city to compete with Montreal for business HQ.  But everyone would like a 'level' playing field, I guess.

viper37

more like 2.5hrs max.  Even 2 if you use Highway 40 and don't stop anywhere.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2011, 01:23:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2011, 01:17:12 PM
It's full of Quebecois.

I was wondering if we'd get that complaint. :D

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2011, 01:37:00 PM
more like 2.5hrs max.  Even 2 if you use Highway 40 and don't stop anywhere.

Does Quebec have reasonable speed limits unlike BC?

Drakken

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2011, 01:07:41 PM
Is there a serious Quebec City - Montreal rivalry?

Yes, from the dawn of times of the colony when Quebec City would force those traveling to Montreal to use barques to travel the River, so they could keep the ships docked to claim the cargo.