News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In honour of Halloween: Scared Shitless?

Started by Malthus, October 18, 2011, 01:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Post here your favorite it-happened-to-you scare, of the Halloween sort (not 'I was driving down the road and I nearly crashed' sort of thing, but something that put the scare into you in a creepy way ).

My favorite is one I may have already mentioned.

When I was young, I was in the habit of sneaking into the kitchen late at night when I was supposed to be asleep (far from my parent's room, so they would not notice), turning on the light, and reading horror comics and scary books while eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

Unwise in many ways, and set me up for the scare of a lifetime.

I should explain that the kitchen table had a window that you could easily pull open sideways. This wasn't a security risk because it was high in the air and although partly covered with thick ivy, the ivy could not support a person's weight.

I was reading a book of horror stories and eating a sandwich, really scaring myself with the gruesome story, when I heard a gentle tap-tapping on the window. I looked up, expecting to see the ivy blowing against the window, and instead saw - a tiny, shrunken black human hand with claws trying to open the window!

I was so scared I was literally paralized. I could not even scream. I was thinking to myself "this is impossible, but it is happening - a couple of feet away from me".

The black hand got a grip, and pulled the window fully open - and at last I let out a scream ... startling the raccoon that was after the sandwich on the table in front of me. Because of the angle I hadn't seen its face and it hadn't seen me.

A raccoon's paw in action, topside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjoBwmpx_0

Underside is black and hairless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mm_Hand.jpg
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I thought I saw my mother's ghost once.  That was frightening.  I'd just gotten back from a long (10+ hr) drive and was very tired from the trip in general.

The concept of ghosts has always frightened me, especially when I was a kid.  Even today, ghosts are the only horror subgenre that actually scares me.  Everything else--slashers, monsters--are vulnerable to physical means, and so are no more scary than, say, a Muslim.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I think a camel tried to spit on me today.  That was kind of scary.  When I was a kid all kinds of things terrified me.  I would see shit floating around the house and every night I was so terrified I couldn't scream.  In hindsight this might have been sign my parents should have picked up on.  I was also terribly frightened by lots of odd things.  Like a sign at a Chinese Restaurant or sharp angles.  Give me a bit to think of some more specific things. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's the scary sign that scared me when I was a kid.  Perhaps not surprisingly I've always been repulsed by tattoos or face painting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Grandma Clown from the Big Apple Circus. 

I threw up all over my dinosaur t-shirt and had to be carried out shrieking.   :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

When I was six or seven, stayed up late one night to watch (with my older sister, who didn't want to see it alone) the old The Haunting movie (the excellent black-and-white one, not the remake).  Scared me spitless, even though you never actually saw anything.  Had nightmares about bulging walls for months.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martim Silva

When I was 34, I lived in an apartment on the 11th Floor.

One day, I entered the elevator to go to work. I pressed the "0" button (ground floor).

The elevator descended, but to my worry it did not stop in the ground floor. It kept descending.

First, it read "-1" (garage), but then it went "-2", then "-3", "-4"...

I was "WTF? This building only has a garage, the '-1' level. And you need to input a code to be able to access it!"

It stopped at "-5".

Confused, I slowly opened the door. It was a pitch dark area, but I could see a very bright white light far to the left. It was the size of a door, and boy did it shine. I somehow had this odd notion that, if I crossed that opening, my life would change forever.

Spooked, I retreated inside the elevator and re-pressed the "0" button.

Fortunately, this time it went up and did open in the ground floor.

I assumed a malfunction of the thing and that it merely had taken a long time to go to the garage, which I had reached inadvertently, and saw the sunlight coming from there. I thus went to work.

About a year later, I descended for the first time to the garage ("-1") with the building administrator.

To my surprise, when we got there the artificial lights were on. The elevator led to a small area, with the passageway to the garage proper directly to the right of the elevator.

To the left, there was just a wall. A solid wall, and damn close to the elevator's door.

Also, the area was sealed from any light from the outside, unless a car was entering (and that was a noisy procedure).

To this day I have NO idea where that elevator took me, but I sure am glad to be out of that apartment today.

Maximus

Maybe that's where the ambassadors were coming from.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on October 18, 2011, 07:40:05 PM
Maybe that's where the ambassadors were coming from.

Terrible!

When I was 4, I woke up one morning and when I couldn't find my parents in my bedroom I walked out into the family room and saw the wisps of a woman hair from our great blue chair in the room.  I'm not sure why but I became convinced that the woman was a witch and ran to hid in my bed.  Only later did I find out that my great aunt had came over as my parents had rush to the hospital where my mother was giving birth to my sister.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PRC

Quote from: Martim Silva on October 18, 2011, 07:26:55 PM

One day, I entered the elevator to go to work. I pressed the "0" button (ground floor).

The elevator descended, but to my worry it did not stop in the ground floor. It kept descending.

I was "WTF? This building only has a garage, the '-1' level. And you need to input a code to be able to access it!"

It stopped at "-5".

Confused, I slowly opened the door. It was a pitch dark area, but I could see a very bright white light far to the left. It was the size of a door, and boy did it shine. I somehow had this odd notion that, if I crossed that opening, my life would change forever.

I assumed a malfunction of the thing and that it merely had taken a long time to go to the garage, which I had reached inadvertently, and saw the sunlight coming from there. I thus went to work.

About a year later, I descended for the first time to the garage ("-1") with the building administrator.

To my surprise, when we got there the artificial lights were on. The elevator led to a small area, with the passageway to the garage proper directly to the right of the elevator.

To the left, there was just a wall. A solid wall, and damn close to the elevator's door.

Also, the area was sealed from any light from the outside, unless a car was entering (and that was a noisy procedure).

To this day I have NO idea where that elevator took me, but I sure am glad to be out of that apartment today.

It was a portal to a fantasy world where you would have become a warlord, a reaver and slayer of alien men.  You should have entered as you've lost the opportunity to conquer a new realm and fuck alien pussy.

Caliga

Quote from: PRC on October 18, 2011, 07:51:19 PM
It was a portal to a fantasy world where you would have become a warlord, a reaver and slayer of alien men.  You should have entered as you've lost the opportunity to conquer a new realm and fuck alien pussy.
CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT! 
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PRC on October 18, 2011, 07:51:19 PM
Quote from: Martim Silva on October 18, 2011, 07:26:55 PM

It stopped at "-5".

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Yeah, we know Tim.  These jokes work better when you don't blurt out the reference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius