Record-High 50% of Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Use

Started by garbon, October 18, 2011, 12:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2011, 01:34:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 01:28:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 01:21:53 PM
The main effect would be to force the price down, which would probably ruin the small-timers. You can't make a one-house grow-op pay unless the product is very expensive.

I assume most of the cost and risk is currently related to avoiding detection and getting the product over the border.  If the product is legalized I am not sure what the price point would have to be to make a profit.  In any event I suspect the grow ops in BC are substantially larger then one house operations.

They're only larger in that they are multiple houses.

Converting a private residence into an indoor farm is incredibly expensive.  If Americans could simply plant the stuff in the ground by the acre-full it would completely destroy the economics of the indoor grow-op.

If you drive through most agricultural areas in the lower mainland you will see an extensive investment in greenhouse infrastructure.  Most of that is used for tomatoes and cucumbers.  One could easily expect that the same technology could be used to grow pot.

For some reason BC growers can currently compete on vegetables.  I am not sure why you think they could not also compete on a product like pot - especially since most of the industry is already here...  I am also not sure why you think growers would continue to inhabit houses if they can grow out in the open without fear of being detected. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 01:40:42 PM
If you drive through most agricultural areas in the lower mainland you will see an extensive investment in greenhouse infrastructure.  Most of that is used for tomatoes and cucumbers.  One could easily expect that the same technology could be used to grow pot.

For some reason BC growers can currently compete on vegetables.  I am not sure why you think they could not also compete on a product like pot - especially since most of the industry is already here...  I am also not sure why you think growers would continue to inhabit houses if they can grow out in the open without fear of being detected.

Certainly BC growers could grow it in greenhouses, or heck, even outdoors.

Thing is, it would not earn more than other such crops like tobbacco.

Unlike veggies, pot travels well - it can be smuggled across the world after all - so the place with the right combo of soil and climate for the plant will have the advantage. Dunno if BC is any better or worse on that score. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2011, 01:34:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 01:28:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 01:21:53 PM
The main effect would be to force the price down, which would probably ruin the small-timers. You can't make a one-house grow-op pay unless the product is very expensive.

I assume most of the cost and risk is currently related to avoiding detection and getting the product over the border.  If the product is legalized I am not sure what the price point would have to be to make a profit.  In any event I suspect the grow ops in BC are substantially larger then one house operations.

They're only larger in that they are multiple houses.

Converting a private residence into an indoor farm is incredibly expensive.  If Americans could simply plant the stuff in the ground by the acre-full it would completely destroy the economics of the indoor grow-op.

We seem to be arguing different points.

I was saying that if the US legalized, but Canada didn't, we'd get flooded with American pot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2011, 12:57:02 PM
:mad:

:nelson:

But seriously Canada is far more pot friendly than we are.  You should be pointing the finger of judgement at the Sask's of the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2011, 01:48:34 PM
We seem to be arguing different points.

I was saying that if the US legalized, but Canada didn't, we'd get flooded with American pot.

Of course you would.  We are more business friendly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2011, 01:48:57 PM

:nelson:

But seriously Canada is far more pot friendly than we are.  You should be pointing the finger of judgement at the Sask's of the world.

I believe me, I am.

I am.

Neil

Well, it's the only sensible course.  Unfortunately, the only way I could support it is if they also legalized lynching hippie scum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 18, 2011, 12:58:32 PM
Probably higher in canada :P

But you know ain't nothing gonna change.

If the US voted the legalize Canada would do it in a heartbeat.  The main reason we dont do it now is because it would complicate relations with the US.

Where was this attitude in 2003?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on October 18, 2011, 02:47:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 18, 2011, 12:58:32 PM
Probably higher in canada :P

But you know ain't nothing gonna change.

If the US voted the legalize Canada would do it in a heartbeat.  The main reason we dont do it now is because it would complicate relations with the US.

Where was this attitude in 2003?

8 years in the future? :huh:

dps

I'm not particularly in favor of legalizing recreational drugs, but if tobacco cigarettes are legal, there's nothing that should be illegal.

HisMajestyBOB

If it was legalized, I wonder if smoking pot would still be an automatic disqualifier for most Federal employment.
You'd think the answer would be obvious, but really, you never know.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 01:46:32 PM
Certainly BC growers could grow it in greenhouses, or heck, even outdoors.

Thing is, it would not earn more than other such crops like tobbacco.

Unlike veggies, pot travels well - it can be smuggled across the world after all - so the place with the right combo of soil and climate for the plant will have the advantage. Dunno if BC is any better or worse on that score.
I don't think greenhouses would be necessary, although they might increase production. There used to be pot fields down by the river when I was young, in a much harsher climate than the lower mainland.

Or course, I don't know what the growing season was on that. It's likely the lower mainland would be able to produce more efficiently.

dps

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 18, 2011, 03:33:34 PM
If it was legalized, I wonder if smoking pot would still be an automatic disqualifier for most Federal employment.
You'd think the answer would be obvious, but really, you never know.

If it was legal, why would it be any more of a disqualifier than drinking alchohol?