Woman gets $4 compensation for Korean War killing

Started by jimmy olsen, October 17, 2011, 09:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:pinch:

5,000,000 ₩ would have been more reasonable.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44925930/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/#.Tpw3ZnLnM-o
QuoteWoman gets $4 compensation for Korean War killing

updated 27 minutes ago

SEOUL — A South Korean woman has been offered a little over $4 in government compensation for the death of her brother during the 1950-53 Korean War, embarrassing officials who say they were bound by an out-dated law.

The woman was two years old when her brother was killed in combat in 1950, but never knew of his existence until told of his death by a neighbor, local media reported, adding the children's mother has suffered from dementia.

The family had not received any compensation until April when the soldier's sister was awarded 5,000 won ($4.33) under a law in effect during the war.

The presidential Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission has called the decision "incomprehensible" and urged the government to review it.

"We hope that this case will lead to forming a system of adequately compensating the families of Korean War veterans who continue to live with deep pain," the commission said.

The Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs and the Defense Ministry said a new law was needed to pay more or adjust the sum to incorporate inflation and interest.

Nearly 140,000 South Korean soldiers were killed in combat and as many as 130,000 are missing in action according to the Defense Ministry.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

So a brother she never knew died fifty years ago?  Fuck, that's worth $4 to me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Interesting conclusion- we must adequately compensate  Korean war deaths.
The conclusion I'd have reached would be more -oops, that thing is still in the books? And what idiot thought to follow the law to the letter and insult some random woman?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2011, 09:15:50 AM

Yeah I do not get the big deal.  Discovering I had a previously unknown relative who died in the Korean War would not have me calling the government asking for compensation.  How odd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Is it like a veterans benefits thing?  I imagine lots of people died during the Korea war.  Whole families probably were wiped out and nobody knew what happened to them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2011, 09:38:10 AM

Yeah I do not get the big deal.  Discovering I had a previously unknown relative who died in the Korean War would not have me calling the government asking for compensation.  How odd.

I do wonder how deep her pain could be - although there is likely some pain in discovering that you had a sibling and he's dead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2011, 10:31:12 AM
Is it like a veterans benefits thing?

That's what I was thinking, or some kind of benefits or govt insurance that go to the family of soldiers killed in battle.

Ed Anger

Reminds me of the 5 dollar coupon I got back when Nintendo was accused of price fixing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 10:51:27 AM

I do wonder how deep her pain could be - although there is likely some pain in discovering that you had a sibling and he's dead.

It's not so bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2011, 12:06:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 10:51:27 AM

It's not so bad.

I'm trying to be generous. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 17, 2011, 02:46:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 17, 2011, 12:10:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 17, 2011, 09:14:34 AM
Wrong, idiot.
$4,330 would hardly break the treasury.

I had relatives who died in World War II.  Where is my won?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2011, 02:46:38 PM
Wrong, idiot.

I had relatives who died in World War II.  Where is my won?
Assuming they were American soldiers who died in battle the government paid their family $10,000 in insurance money. :contract:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Wrong, idiot.
So what?  She doesn't deserve a dime because some obscure relative she'd never heard of died 60 years ago.  I hope she gets kidnapped by Kim Jong Il and made to work in the North Korean film industry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.