President of Uruguay Contemplated War With Argentina in 2007!

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2011, 12:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Wow, that would have been one of the dumbest wars ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15303151
QuoteUruguay ex-head Vasquez quits politics over war comment

Former Uruguayan President Tabare Vasquez says he is abandoning politics after revealing earlier this week that he had considered war with Argentina.

Mr Vasquez, in office from 2005 to 2010, said he had weighed a war option amid a dispute with Argentina over a pulp mill on their border.

His remarks were heavily criticised by politicians in both countries.

Mr Vasquez, seen as a possible candidate for the 2014 election, said his comments had been ill-timed.

The pulp mill row strained ties between Argentina and Uruguay for several years, and there were frequent demonstrations on the bridge linking the two countries.

Speaking in public on Tuesday, Mr Vasquez said he had considered going to war over the issue and had even asked then US President George W Bush for support.

Amid widespread criticism, Mr Vasquez on Thursday issued a statement saying his comments were an account of what happened but that they were "inopportune".

Mr Vasquez said he had no intention of damaging his own party, the Frente Amplia (Broad Front), and was therefore resigning from frontline politics.

Mr Vasquez, who was constitutionally barred from standing for immediate re-election, had been considered his party's likely candidate for the next presidential poll.
Pollution monitors

Opposition politicians voiced scepticism that he would disappear from the political scene, while members of his party urged him to reconsider.

Political analysts also suggested that it was likely Mr Vasquez would be back.

Mr Vasquez was "the most popular political leader at the moment and a strong candidate for the next election," polling expert Ignacio Zuasnabar told Uruguay's El Pais newspaper.

The pulp mill, which opened in 2007, is located in the Uruguayan town of Fray Bentos on the banks of the River Uruguay, which forms the border between the two South American nations.

Residents across the river in the Argentine town of Gualeguaychu staged frequent protests and closed the bridge that spans the river, arguing that the plant was contaminating the water.

Uruguay insisted that strict environmental codes were in place.

The two countries settled the dispute last November by setting up a joint committee to monitor pollution levels in the river and within the mill.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

If this somehow could have prevented the second Kirchner regime, I'd have been all for it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 14, 2011, 01:19:45 PM
If this somehow could have prevented the second Kirchner regime, I'd have been all for it.
She's the chick with all the plastic surgery right?

I like Dilma better.  :perv:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 14, 2011, 11:42:27 PM
Anyway... U-r-gay.   Hehehehehehehe.

The pristine paradise of Somalia welcomes your sense of humour.

The Brain

Now is the time to strike. They'll never expect an attack in 2007.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.