Toronto: Police advise girls not to wear school uniform skirts on public transit

Started by jimmy olsen, October 12, 2011, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Misogynistic dinosaurs. :lol:

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-talk/police_advise_girls_not_to_wear_school_uniform_skirts_on_public_transit/d96d4450

QuotePolice advise girls not to wear school uniform skirts on public transit

11/10/2011 1:45:00 AM
by Monica Bugajski
In light of the Toronto police advising private schoolgirls not to wear their uniform skirts on public transit, it's up to us to offer some actual advice on how to deal with sexual harassment in public.

Police in Toronto are telling girls at the Greenwood College private school that in order to avoid a pervert (who harassed two female students by looking up their skirts), they shouldn't wear their school uniforms on public transit. An investigation has been launched in search of the five foot six, skinny, white male with light brown hair and black-framed glasses.

Meanwhile the school's principal, Allan Hardy, has issued an email to the student body and their parents about the incident in which he relays the investigating officer's advice that students, especially females, should consider not wearing their uniforms en route to or from school. Hardy says the viewpoint is not prejudiced because he says that thieves often target uniformed students, both male and female.

Yet it's hard for Hardy to veil the officer's blatant sexism when he passes on the official's viewpoint concerning the incident of harassment. Apparently, the officer doesn't think it's wise for female students to wear skirts on the TTC, since the pervert looks up their skirts.  In terms of the two girls who were harassed, he says, "if they had, for example, jeans or sweatpants on, it wouldn't be an issue."

Perhaps this officer was well intentioned when he made these comments, but the "advice" offered provides no security for girls of any age. In fact, it does more to harm us than it does to help us.

When the officer says that there wouldn't be an issue if the girl's hadn't been wearing skirts, the officer is completely brushing aside the fact that there wouldn't be an issue if there hadn't been a pervert.

Law enforcement officials advising young girls not to wear skirts because there are perverts out there are sending the message that in wearing the skirts the girls are to blame for the harassment.  Whether they intend to or not, they are reinforcing the belief that women are responsible for the behavior that their clothing provokes in other people. 

But believe me, these girls could have been dressed in jeans and sweatpants, and they probably would have still been harassed because the skirts are not the issue, and the girls are not the issue. The issue is the pervert.

If you replace the skirts with pants, the pervert still remains. So, the real problem is sexual harassment, and as a woman, I can tell you that it is a problem. A major problem.

I would also like to add that sexual harassment still occurs in countries where women are completely covered from head to toe, so can we please once and for all drop the illusion that the problem is a woman's attire?

I can tell you from my own experience that this world is a hostile place for a woman and that sexual harassment can occur anywhere, no matter what you are wearing. It feels humiliating, and it's degrading. It needs to end, and the way to do that is to hold the perpetrators, not the victims, accountable for their behavior.

How to deal with sexual harassment
Let's use this as a forum to relay practical and useful advice on how to deal with harassment and how to hold harassers responsible...

Holly Kearl, founder and author of the Stop Street Harassment, offers suggestions on how victims and bystanders should deal with harassment in various situations.

Depending on the safety of the situation, she suggests talking to the perpetrator. In a calm, assertive, non-apologetic manner, name the harasser's behavior, state that it is wrong, tell him to go away, or identify him out loud. For example on a crowded bus we can say, "Man in red shirt. Stop touching me. Step away from me."

Other suggestions include asking a Socratic question like, "Why do you think it's ok to put your hand on my leg?"  We can ask the perpetrator whether he would treat his mother/sister/daughter this way or say something along the lines of  "I beg your pardon! You must have me confused with someone to whom you think you can speak that way to." We can write down license plate numbers and ask harassers for their names so that we can report them.

When harassment occurs, it is important that we let others know what's going on and report it to the police or transit authorities. If harassed by people while they are on the job, contact their employer and report the date and time the harassment occurred.

As bystanders, we can also work to end harassment through intervention and support. In situations that appear suspect, we can ask if the perpetrator is bothering the victim, if everything is ok, or simply if either the perpetrator or the victim knows the time.  As silly as it sounds, distractions and indirect interventions, like asking for the time or directions, are good ways to dilute potentially dangerous situations and avoid big scenes. If a victim has identified her harasser, we must voice our support.

Sexual harassment in public occurs so frequently that many of us fail to see its repercussions, yet it limits a woman's ability to feel safe in public and to go out in public. But it will not end if it's the victims who are constantly told that they are the cause of the problem.

What advice would you offer?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Almost as bad as the recent drive to try and prevent high school cheerleaders from wearing their uniforms during class.  :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:24:25 PM
Almost as bad as the recent drive to try and prevent high school cheerleaders from wearing their uniforms during class.  :mad:

I'm laughing at your avatar.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 12, 2011, 06:24:53 PM

It was inspired by your recent nerve stapling comment.  :) :salute:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:27:05 PM

Don't go....the drones need you!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

You know, I just want to say in my defence, that that day I happened to be riding the TTC (Toronto's Metro system) and bent to pick up a token (payment coin used on the TTC) from the floor, when it just happened that said high school girl in uniform skirt shifted her legs, and as it happened my phone fell from my pocket and accidently took a picture.
This, as it happens, happened two or three other times on different days.
But to be labelled a pervert, in all fairness, is a huge example of defamation on the police's part.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 12, 2011, 06:33:49 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:27:05 PM

Don't go....the drones need you!

They look up to you...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Aren't the girls wearing those skirts because the school makes them? Could easily be construed as a reason to change school polcy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 06:29:27 PM
How ridiculous.  You can't own photons.

Communist  :mad:
The invisible hand provides the optimal distribution of photons.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 12, 2011, 07:06:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 06:29:27 PM
How ridiculous.  You can't own photons.

Communist  :mad:
The invisible hand provides the optimal distribution of photons.

You can't stop the signal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.