Toronto: Police advise girls not to wear school uniform skirts on public transit

Started by jimmy olsen, October 12, 2011, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on October 12, 2011, 08:34:17 PM
Great, now I'm going to have to find a copy of SMAC and install it.

I think they are selling it on gog.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2011, 09:12:06 PM
:yes:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

Only downside of the game, is that I would have liked to have been able to play a game with all the factions involved instead of just seven (I mean the seven added in the expansion).  If any game needs to be remade, it's this one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2011, 06:36:42 PM
Aren't the girls wearing those skirts because the school makes them? Could easily be construed as a reason to change school polcy.

I'm pretty sure that the schools can't make them wear the skirts when they're not at school.  At least, they couldn't in the states--maybe under Canadian law they can, but I doubt it.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 09:17:09 PM
Only downside of the game, is that I would have liked to have been able to play a game with all the factions involved instead of just seven (I mean the seven added in the expansion).  If any game needs to be remade, it's this one.

It is definitely my favorite game of its type.  I always thought it blew Civ away yet Civ keeps getting remade.  I guess AC was a commercial failure.  Pity.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on October 13, 2011, 09:46:50 AM
Aren't the girls wearing those skirts because the school makes them? Could easily be construed as a reason to change school polcy.

I'm pretty sure that the schools can't make them wear the skirts when they're not at school.  At least, they couldn't in the states--maybe under Canadian law they can, but I doubt it.
If you have to wear something at school, you're going to put it on at home before you leave and take it off at home when you get back, that's just common sense.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

as far as i know the policy of girls only being allowed to wer skirts to catholic school went away in the late 70's. in fact, now-a-days many schools are going the opposite way and removing kilts from the dress code. Much to the woe to the poor catholic school boys :( :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2011, 09:55:35 AM

If you have to wear something at school, you're going to put it on at home before you leave and take it off at home when you get back, that's just common sense.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Well, d'oh.  Of course that's convenient, and common sense.  But there's nothing that keeps you from changing clothes during the day if you have reason to do so.  But that's not the point, anyway--I was mostly trying to make a wisecrack about Canadian law (at which I seemed to have failed--you not getting it doesn't mean anything--I expect lots of stuff to get by you--but apparantly Garbon didn't either, so I probably missed the mark).

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 13, 2011, 10:47:19 AM

Well, d'oh.  Of course that's convenient, and common sense.  But there's nothing that keeps you from changing clothes during the day if you have reason to do so.  But that's not the point, anyway--I was mostly trying to make a wisecrack about Canadian law (at which I seemed to have failed--you not getting it doesn't mean anything--I expect lots of stuff to get by you--but apparantly Garbon didn't either, so I probably missed the mark).

I ignored that part as it seemed irrelevant. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Most Catholic schools here are pretty much fading the kilts away in favour of skorts--skirts with insetted shorts. And, in any case, most schools require girls to wear gym shorts beneath the kilts.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 13, 2011, 12:34:03 PM
Most Catholic schools here are pretty much fading the kilts away in favour of skorts--skirts with insetted shorts. And, in any case, most schools require girls to wear gym shorts beneath the kilts.

I see we have an expert.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on October 13, 2011, 12:34:03 PM
at my school we had a self appointed spanks checker. she'd randomly demand to see if girls were wearing their shorts :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.