News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question about Solidarnosc

Started by Admiral Yi, October 11, 2011, 07:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I was reading The Economist on the plane, and came across an article about the situation at GM.  One thing I learned is that part of their new agreement was to allow so called Tier II employees to be hired, at half (!) the rate paid to existing employees.

So my question is, to those who believe in the concept of labor solidarity, is this decision in keeping with that spirit?  Wouldn't solidarity dictate that the existing workers vote themselves out of a job before handing this kind of deal off to their brother workers?

Maximus

Did worker solidarity ever catch on in this country? I thought the major unions were fairly protectionist.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2011, 07:04:38 PM
I was reading The Economist on the plane, and came across an article about the situation at GM.  One thing I learned is that part of their new agreement was to allow so called Tier II employees to be hired, at half (!) the rate paid to existing employees.

So my question is, to those who believe in the concept of labor solidarity, is this decision in keeping with that spirit?  Wouldn't solidarity dictate that the existing workers vote themselves out of a job before handing this kind of deal off to their brother workers?

It's kinda fucked up, yeah.  Max is right, though, there's no such thing as solidarity in this country.  Hasn't been as long as I've been alive, if ever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

There's no solidarity if there's no jobs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

New (aka lower) pay scales for new hires seems to be increasingly common in the workforce these days.  Ascribe that phenomenon to hypocritical union bosses selling out their brethren for personal gain or corporate fat cats squeezing yet another dime out of the working man as you see ideologically fit.

Zanza

My company also has different pay scales for those that joined before and after a certain date. However, salary raises for the long-time employees are at least partially substracted from what they earn more than new employees so it's slowly leveling out.
The real difference is between employees and contractors. The latter may do exactly the same job de facto, but may earn more (think consultants) or less (think temporary workers) than the employee doing that job.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 12, 2011, 06:14:44 AM
New (aka lower) pay scales for new hires seems to be increasingly common in the workforce these days.  Ascribe that phenomenon to hypocritical union bosses selling out their brethren for personal gain or corporate fat cats squeezing yet another dime out of the working man as you see ideologically fit.
i blame people unwilling to take pay cuts. You need new hires, but can't afford them at old prices.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.