Gilad Shalit to be exchanged for 1000 palestinian prisoners.

Started by Viking, October 11, 2011, 04:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I predict more attempts to kidnap serving IDF men and women. The joos might be good at economics and know game theory, but quite obviously Netanyahu is a boob who doesn't understand incentives. Setting the weregeld of an IDF man at 1000 palestinian prisoners will just mean kidnapping one is of great value. This can only turn out badly and cause more violence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15267100

QuoteGilad Shalit: Israel and Hamas agree prisoner swap deal

Israel and Hamas have agreed a deal for the release of Sgt Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier held hostage by Palestinian militants for five years.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the deal had been reached after arduous talks, and that Sgt Shalit would be back with his family "within days".

Israel is likely to release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in exchange.

Sgt Shalit was captured in a cross-border raid in 2006, and repeated attempts to free him have failed.

But Mr Netanyahu said in a national TV address: "We have concluded arduous negotiations with Hamas to release Gilad Shalit. He will be coming home in the next few days."
'Window of opportunity'

The militant group Hamas, which runs Gaza, said in a statement that there were tens of thousands of people on the streets celebrating the deal.

The group's leader Khaled Meshaal appeared on TV to hail the swap deal as a victory for the Palestinian people.

He promised to carry on working to free every Palestinian prisoner held in Israeli jails.

The BBC's Jon Donnison in Jerusalem says Sgt Shalit's family and the families of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails will not believe a deal has been done until their relatives are home.

The Israeli newspaper Haaretz quoted an unnamed official in Mr Netanyahu's office as saying that "a brief window of opportunity has been opened" that could lead to Gilad Shalit's release.

The official added: "The window appeared following fears that collapsing Mid-East regimes and the rise of extremist forces would make Gilad Shalit's return impossible."

An Israeli source involved in the talks was quoted by Reuters news agency as saying that the deal called for 1,000 Palestinians prisoners to be freed in two stages.

The first involves the release of 450 for the soldier, with the remaining 550 to be freed later.

Some of the 5,000 Palestinian prisoners held by Israel have been convicted of serious crimes, but others are being held without charge.

Israel's Channel 2 TV reported that both sides had shown greater flexibility in recent talks.

Indirect talks over 25-year-old Sgt Shalit's release - being mediated by Egypt and Germany - had focused on prisoner exchanges.

In October 2009, Hamas released a video of the soldier calling on Mr Netanyahu to do everything to free him.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Yeah, I really don't get those exchanges, unless they inject all those Palestinians who are being released with a slow-acting poison.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2011, 05:31:42 PM
I thought he was dead.

Hizbullah negotiated as if the two guys they got were alive and then at the seremony they handed over two bodies. Apparently both had died in the original battle and their bodies were taken.

For Shalit, however, we have proof of life.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

My guess is that the 1000 is going to consist mostly of people detained on suspicion without charge, who were going to be released anyways sooner or later.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

The Eternal Warrior would have managed to escape on his own anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2011, 05:46:14 PM
My guess is that the 1000 is going to consist mostly of people detained on suspicion without charge, who were going to be released anyways sooner or later.

My guess is that Israel has been rounding up guys they can release that Hamas wants released. Presumably their mobile phones have been cloned and more than a few of these guys will find themselves dead in a way the Israeli Prison system can't make them. This is of course not going to mean anything to the PFLP (or was it the PLFOP or was that PLOP or whatever) when they a concocting a plan to get cousin Ali and uncle Abdullah out of an Israeli prison for smuggling heroin.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2011, 04:32:03 PM
I predict more attempts to kidnap serving IDF men and women. The joos might be good at economics and know game theory, but quite obviously Netanyahu is a boob who doesn't understand incentives. Setting the weregeld of an IDF man at 1000 palestinian prisoners will just mean kidnapping one is of great value. This can only turn out badly and cause more violence.

I'd say 1 Israeli is about equal to 1000 Palestinians.
And one Pal is worth at least several dozen Chinese guys.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zoupa

QuoteSome of the 5,000 Palestinian prisoners held by Israel have been convicted of serious crimes, but others are being held without charge.

Ossum.

Viking

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4136377,00.html

Quote2 female prisoners refuse to enter Gaza

Security officials have stated that two Palestinian prisoners are refusing to cross into the Gaza Strip. It is believed that their move is delaying the completion of the deal for Shalit's release. (Yoav Zitun)

Freedom in HAMAS Gaza vs. Israeli prison hmmm..

Gaza as an open air prison schtick may have had some palestinians believing their own propaganda... either that or they actually know what

One of them might be this one

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4135644,00.html

Amina Mona

she chattet up an israeli teen on MSN lured him to the WB and murdered him.